Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Which Brembo's to Buy??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Which Brembo's to Buy??
01Saleen146
¯
Member # 885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01Saleen146  Ford pictures for 01Saleen146    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to ditch the crappy OEM brakes ASAP and am already sold on Brembo. My dilemma is which ones to buy. I am torn between their 13"/4 piston brakes which from Steeda only run about $1200. I really want the biggest, baddest brakes I can put on the car so the Gran Turismo 14"/4 piston set has my eye. Of course it is around $3200!!

Any opinions? Is that extra inch and a two piece rotor really worth all that money? I haven't seen any comparisons on stopping distance, but I don't want to regret getting the less capable of the two down the road. I had originally thought about Saleen brakes to keep the car as "pure" as I could, but then discovered Brembo makes them anyway.

http://www.steeda.com/-hotnews/press/14inchbrakes.htm

vs.

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/brembobrakes.htm

Thanks in advance.

Kev

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you go to the track often or is this mostly your daily driver? 13's if it's your daily and 14's if you track it a lot.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

01Saleen146
¯
Member # 885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 01Saleen146  Ford pictures for 01Saleen146    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j0k3r:
Do you go to the track often or is this mostly your daily driver? 13's if it's your daily and 14's if you track it a lot.

Haven't been to the track yet. Actually I won't until I get some kind of decent brakes.

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 01Saleen146:

Haven't been to the track yet. Actually I won't until I get some kind of decent brakes.

You are underestimating your stock Saleen setup. You would be doing yourself a favor by picking up some Hawk pads. You won't need much more than that.

VortechSaleen
¯
Member # 316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VortechSaleen  Ford pictures for VortechSaleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by j0k3r:

You are underestimating your stock Saleen setup. You would be doing yourself a favor by picking up some Hawk pads. You won't need much more than that.

I agree, but the Saleen brake upgrade isn't standard. I'm guessing he has the stock GT brakes still.

Posts: 837 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought the bullit brake setup with teh 13" cross drilled/slotted rotors and i absolutely love them. I don't think id ever really need more than that
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Saleen brakes are made by Alcon.

They are a big difference, but be prepared to bend over when its time for new pads. Although mine are still good, I've heard you can only get the pads through Saleen and they (of course) charge big bucks. That's what I've heard, not sure if its correct.
The down side is the pads create major brake dust , which in turn requires you to clean the front wheels almost everytime you stop...the price you pay for soft pads I guess.

--------------------
Chrysler 2006 300C 6.1 SRT8
Stock with 1400 miles -13.2 @ 108.5

Posts: 387 | From: Manteca, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
stanger91
¯
Member # 397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger91  Ford pictures for stanger91  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
screw brembo, get baer. i sell all different kinds of brake kits including the bullitt brakes. let me know i will hook it up.

--------------------
E.T 12.314@126.300

Posts: 778 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
roseville5oh
¯
Member # 406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for roseville5oh  Ford pictures for roseville5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stanger91:
screw brembo, get baer. i sell all different kinds of brake kits including the bullitt brakes. let me know i will hook it up.

Stanger91 - what are your reasons to go Baer over brembo? I recently purchased (from a friend) brembo 4 piston calipers, 13" cross drilled front/11.?" rear rotors for $500. For what I paid, and the rest of the stuff I have to buy, should I have gone with a new kit? I've heard good stuff about Baer. What are prices like? Also, would you carry the rest of the parts I need, such as rear calipers, master cylinder, booster, etc?

Thanks,

Eric

--------------------
'91 blue/gray GT -SOLD :(
'03 DRZ-400S
'76 GMC Truck - building
'92 Chevy k2500 454

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the general consensus is that the Baer or Cobra PBRs are plenty for street and occasional track use. If it's going to be used on a '01 Saleen, be sure to check wheel clearances with their template before buying. Do a search on deja and you'll read stories about people buying the 13" Brembo kit only to have their Saleen wheels hit the caliper. While Saleen does get their kit from Brembo, I think it might be somewhat different. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But hey, if you've got the cash for 14" brakes, I say go for it.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stan
¯
Member # 890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan  Ford pictures for Stan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have run the Brembo "Cobra R" set up for over 800 laps at Thunderhill and Sears Point. Using Hawk HPS and Hawk HP+ pads. Not one hint of brake propblems. The only issue was the need to upgrade the rears to the standard Cobra setup. I really don't think you would ever need anything larger than 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers, unless you build your car to an all out track car.

Stan

01Saleen146
¯
Member # 885

Wow, this is great - didn't expect this many replies. I can't find it here which means it is at home, but the sales rep from Brembo assured me the 14's will fit. He also said they make the Cobra brakes as well as the Saleen brakes. I had read where Saleen used Alcons as well, so I am assuming lowest bidder gets it or something like that. Maybe he stopped using Alcon bcz Roush uses them now...

As far as the track I love Saleen's stock setup, but my car does have the crappy GT brakes. They warp faster than anything I have ever seen. Had the same problem on my 98.

In terms of brand I am really sold on Brembo and don't see myself buying anyone else's stuff. I have also read uncorroberated threads on other sites where Baer had some recent issues with warping. They didn't offer any proof so I took it with a grain of salt.

I'll double check the clearance template, but Steeda also sells the kit and separately told me it will work.

I just wish there was a place to find stopping distance and fade data comparing 14's to 13's. I know with brakes bigger is better, but for twice the price.... I just want to be sure it is worth it.

Thanks for all the help!

Kev

P.S. - Stan, I have seen others recommend Hawk pads with the Brembo setup. How are they on dusting? Even though I will run this car on a track one day - I want to be able to drive it around town without the wheels being black by the time I get where I am going. Thanks.

DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DennisG  Ford pictures for DennisG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Saleen must have changed vendors again for 2001. My brakes have Alcon engraved on the calipers, but my car is a 2000. Probably just another case of a vendor getting p.o.'d at Saleen.

--------------------

01Saleen146
¯
Member # 885

quote:
Originally posted by DennisG:
Saleen must have changed vendors again for 2001. My brakes have Alcon engraved on the calipers, but my car is a 2000. Probably just another case of a vendor getting p.o.'d at Saleen.

Or they are both available. There are two different 13" sets with 4 piston calipers for sale on Saleen.com. One is about $1200 and the other (the Premium) is about $2000. Who knows....

Stan
¯
Member # 890

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan  Ford pictures for Stan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
01Saleen146>>Kev, here is a link to a pic with light brake dust on one of my white wheels. Go to the last pic in the album.

Brake dust

Actually it is not that bad on the street, that is from a run at T-Hill where I ran for 90 minutes with only one stop for fuel. I was also on street tires because there was a chance for rain.

Stan

DennisG
¯
Member # 163

Hey Stan....nice truck!! Same color as mine!

--------------------

Stan
¯
Member # 890

Dennis, cool. I heard that silver is the fastest. Although it is back at the dealer because of the "marbles in the engine" sound. Service manager says it is definetly not a normal sound. At idle it sounds like a diesel motor. Seems quite a few of the '02's are developing this problem.

Stan

DennisG
¯
Member # 163

hmmm..not good. I know some of the 2nd gen. owners have been reporting a cold engine knock, but most people say it goes away when its warmed up. Keep me posted if you don't mind, I'd like to hear what they say.

--------------------

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats up Dennis?

I think that cold engine knock is standard on all of the later ford engines. I had the cold engine knock with my 98 and my 99 pickups with the 5.4.
My cobra and everyone of my friends cars when at startup will knock for a few seconds untill the oil starts flowing.

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Stan
¯
Member # 890

Unfortunetly mine is not a cold engine knock, in fact it gets worse after it warms up.

Stan

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

quote:
Originally posted by Stan:
Unfortunetly mine is not a cold engine knock, in fact it gets worse after it warms up.

Stan

I actually heard something about that being a valve problem and not really a true "knock". Habe you heard anything more about it?

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

01Saleen146
¯
Member # 885

quote:
Originally posted by Stan:
01Saleen146>>Kev, here is a link to a pic with light brake dust on one of my white wheels. Go to the last pic in the album.

Brake dust

Actually it is not that bad on the street, that is from a run at T-Hill where I ran for 90 minutes with only one stop for fuel. I was also on street tires because there was a chance for rain.

Stan

Okay, I am officially jealous! Those are some sweet rides Stan! I love the twin stripes on the Saleen.

STOKED: Thanks for the tip. I'll check those out.

Whatever I decide, I'll make sure to get some pics and post them. Appreciate all the help.

*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *SlipNslide281*  Ford pictures for *SlipNslide281*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The down side is the pads create major brake dust , which in turn requires you to clean the front wheels almost everytime you stop...the price you pay for soft pads I guess.

I will vouch for Break dust. I have to clean my front wheels every 2 days. My rims turn black from so much break dust. They also squeek. I took it back to Fremont ford and the Saleen team (purple team)said it is a problem that saleen is working on. I try to down shift as often as I can to try to keep my wheels clean.. Pathetic..huh?

Posts: 1817 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
croushn
¯
Member # 789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for croushn  Ford pictures for croushn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stanger91, what kind of baer kits do you sell? can you give me some info. on the baer 13" crossdrilled/slotted kit for a '00? i'm planning to buy the kit tomorrow, but if you give me a good price i can go to el dorado hills and buy it from you.thanks

--------------------
'00 Roush stage II GT.

Posts: 81 | From: San Jose / Davis CA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com