Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Guys with 4.10's How many mpg are you getting...;are they worth it....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Guys with 4.10's How many mpg are you getting...;are they worth it....
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im planning on getting them......

and i drive a lot... so i need to know if im going to get good milege from them....

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha, good milege with 4.10's. Yo would be better off getting 3.73 if you'll be rollin the freeway often
Milesblown03
¯
Member # 27

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milesblown03  Ford pictures for Milesblown03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think JUSTIN was averaging about 2mpg less than with the stock gears. Not bad for the performance gains.. then again, with the way he drives it, im suprised its even that good.

--------------------
99 honda 996 superhawk...
03 cobra:422rwhp,399rwtq (before pulley)
New best,12.07@119.9(!!)mph on nittos (cant drive to save my life!)

Posts: 1002 | From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  :
ScuEleanor
¯
Member # 785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScuEleanor  Ford pictures for ScuEleanor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe that as long as you are shifting at the same RPM, the only difference you will notice in gas mileage is the loss of top end freeway speed. But yes, you will definetely have to drive slower on the freeway if you want the same gas mileage.
Posts: 77 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Javier.....

If you are worried about gas mileage, don't get 4.10's.

Kinda redundant huh??

I run 4.10's, but the last thing on my mind is gas mileage.

A friend of mine once asked as I was building a bad ass 340 Dodge Demon motor once "What kind of gas mileage are you gonna get??"
My reply??

"Who Cares!!!!"

If you're worried about gas mileage, don't get them. If you would like to propel your car at a faster rate then currently - DO IT! My fox gets crazy, but I love them!

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
14 mpg and I'm always W O T . 70 mph at 2500 rpm in 5th . launch your car, and then one with 4.10's and your mind will definetly be made up. 4.10's RULE!!!

[ February 27, 2002: Message edited by: JUSTIN ]

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on my 97 cobra i get about 19mpg driving regularly on street/highway. if i really try to conserve, i can get about 21mpg. going to tahoe once b/c of traffic and whatnot, driving about 60-65mph i avg. close to 24 mgp. so its all on how you drive, but like 93ragLX said if you have to ask this question then stick with 3.73. you will get better mpg with them. on my old 97gt with 3.73 i got 22-23mpg easily. hope this helps.
Bryan
Member # 966

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bryan  Ford pictures for Bryan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With my 4.10s i get about 230 to the tank. Thats of course, if I keep my foot out of it. I drive minimum 60 miles every day. . .
yesIdid
¯
Member # 58

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yesIdid  Ford pictures for yesIdid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went 3.73s b/c I plan to install a power-adder later...

--------------------
SOLD :(
Black 99 GT w/the 35th Anniversary package

BOUGHT :)
2015 Mustang GT premium w/PP

Posts: 514 | From: San Franpsycho | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drove to sacramento on a tank and a half... with 4.30 rear end gears so... you decide

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL get blown then have all your driving in town then see what your gas is like. Its not nice, but then agian its hard to keep your foot out of it from stop light to stop light, But on the open road its not bad at all.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Wild Donkey
¯
Member # 662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Donkey  Ford pictures for Wild Donkey    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by imbroken:
I drove to sacramento on a tank and a half... with 4.30 rear end gears so... you decide

People say that an AOD can handle gears a little better and people recommend 4.10's for an AOD. So if people recommend 4.10's then 4.30's should not be that bad.
Does anyone have 4.30's setup in their car (AOD) or does anyone have any info on this?
Thanx. Just a cure-e-au-city question.

Posts: 120 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Spdfreak LS1
Board idiot
Member # 679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spdfreak LS1  Ford pictures for Spdfreak LS1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive got 4.10. gas mileage is still good and they are totally worth it!

--------------------
Juice times to come!!
http://www.thesiccrew.com/Kevin.html
http://www.geocities.com/kevtopgun/Z28.html
12.9 and 111mph traps on Street tires.
quote:
Originally posted by FireWhore:
..... nor do i care what any of u peeps think....or me for that matter....

Posts: 2202 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
v6mustanglover
¯
Member # 545

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v6mustanglover  Ford pictures for v6mustanglover  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Javier: You don't pay for gas. So why do you care?

--------------------
Adam
2004 F150 Crew Cab
6" and 35's

imbroken
¯
Member # 165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for imbroken  Ford pictures for imbroken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.30's in an AOD... SOHC... or Pushrod motor is not a good idea unless it revs to the moon.. not to mention.. even w/ 4.10's and an AOD! you'll be bouncin off of your rev limiter unless you get a custom chip.. the reason being your system doesn't compensate for the quicker rev..

--------------------
I love you Amber! =)

Posts: 1772 | From: Anaheim Hills, Ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the 4:10s, for a newer SOHC GT. My cousin steve has 4:30s in his 98Cobra and they work fine for his 7300RPM car. When I had my 99 GT I was at the end of third by the end of the 1/4 mile. I think that if I had went to 3:73s it would have just put me into the begging of fourth and not helped much(not sure though). You will notice that you are only at 2000RPMs at 70-75MPH, so 4:10s at the worst would put you at about 2800-3000RPMs at 65-70. Not to bad if that is your normal Highway speed. If you are planning on running all motor go with 4:10s, if not go with 3:73s. My freind has a rearend with 4:10s he might be willing to trade for your stock one and a little cash. You will have to make sure a 98 rearend will fit in a 99 and newer car though. Let me know.
Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Toadster
¯
Member # 393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toadster  Ford pictures for Toadster  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i get 19-22 mpg... technically i have a 4.09 ratio...

--------------------
Toadster - Todd Christ
SVT Contour Registry
MODS: KKM Intake, TH-Fix, SHO Shop Y-Pipe
'98 E0 SVT Contour #1037 of 6535

Wild Donkey
¯
Member # 662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild Donkey  Ford pictures for Wild Donkey    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by imbroken:
4.30's in an AOD... SOHC... or Pushrod motor is not a good idea unless it revs to the moon.. not to mention.. even w/ 4.10's and an AOD! you'll be bouncin off of your rev limiter unless you get a custom chip.. the reason being your system doesn't compensate for the quicker rev..

Well i am getting a custom chip so hopfully that will help it compensate. Also maybe my cam and chip will give me a higher rpm rev limit to go with 4.30's. What do you guys think?

Posts: 120 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com