Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wheel hop??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wheel hop??
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know what I can do to stop the wheel hop I get at the track when I shift into 2nd? As soon as I pop the clutch the rear end hops badly. I am worried about it blowing my rearend up from hoping. Help??

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy some traction bars.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Drift-GT
¯
Member # 762

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drift-GT  Ford pictures for Drift-GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Traction bars can help. But judging by your pic of your car it looks lowered a bit. When you lowered your car did you change your struts/shocks? If you car is to low the suspension will bounce due to the lack of ample compression and rebound damping on the strut/shock. You might want to consider a good gas adjustable (Tokico Illumina 5 way is my fave) or a drag shock. Have fun and rip it up

--------------------
- 1965 GT “K” code Mustang, RIP
- 2002 Silver GT 5 speed
- 2004 Kawasaki ZX-10R

Posts: 552 | From: Freakmont, CA U.S. of A | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In addition to that, spend $130 (including fluid), and get yourself a T/A rear-end cover. They are worth their weight in gold.
Will help keep the maincaps from walking on you.

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What shocks/springs do you have?
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yo john i can hook you up with some good shocks! When you get some money give me a call.
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
yo john i can hook you up with some good shocks! When you get some money give me a call.

what kind of shocks and how much?

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93ragLX:
In addition to that, spend $130 (including fluid), and get yourself a T/A rear-end cover. They are worth their weight in gold.
Will help keep the maincaps from walking on you.

dayum ted you are soo right..i wish i would have done that..the reduced traction from wheel hop is the mleast of your worries....it is the damage to the rear that should be concerning.

get the t/a cover, and get shocks...but im drunk so i know nothing.

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: TORQUEPIMP ]

--------------------
Wheels on the Vette go round and round.

Posts: 1700 | From: Over There | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

He has like tockico and i think bilsteins. He only carries the best though so its kinda expensive. Buit check out the website here.
www.aftermarket.com

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
He has like tockico and i think bilsteins. He only carries the best though so its kinda expensive. Buit check out the website here.
www.aftermarket.com

I'm gonna go with hotchkis and koni's, Then I'll be railing around shit! Is this some web site you found or do you know people that work or own the company?

never mind this post I'll talk to you about it tonight. Late

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: ihatethesesns ]

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think some of you got carried away with the 'solution'. A factory suspension mustang doesn't hop like he describes, so somewhere along the line he did something (or something went bad) to cause this.

How are your quad shocks? Unbolt one end and see if it resists movement in both directions and is fairly stiff.

Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mipaz  Ford pictures for Mipaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sawson is the mustang brain

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So long as your pinion angle is correct, and your quad-shocks are doing their job, this shouldn't happen.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I didn't change anything. When I bought the car it was lowered 1 inch. I know I want to change the coils to a different set, I want to put a set of road race coils in. I want to road race it, but I if I decide to take it to the strip, I don't want this to happen again. So do I need to change the rear shocks and quads probably? I was going to put new uppers and lowers in, what else should go when I do this?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TORQUEPIMP:

get the t/a cover, new control arms. and change the position of them to get the correct pitch. and get shocks...

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

quote:
Originally posted by 2000BlackGT:

--------------------

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2000BlackGT:

LoL, it does sound pretty funny, when they tell you something to do to your car, but it only applies to thiers.

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1sicgt:
Ok, I didn't change anything. When I bought the car it was lowered 1 inch. I know I want to change the coils to a different set, I want to put a set of road race coils in. I want to road race it, but I if I decide to take it to the strip, I don't want this to happen again. So do I need to change the rear shocks and quads probably? I was going to put new uppers and lowers in, what else should go when I do this?

Well johns u cant have the best of both worlds.. you cant have 900 pound road race springs and expect to hook up at the track! =) Road racing is really hard on a car and you dont want to sqrew up that nice paint of your by hitting cones

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Mipaz
Old School
Member # 386

its kinda funny that you get people that dont know shit about cars at all but from a book.

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess the paint would have to be a small price to pay. I have a lot more fun driving on road courses(what little I have done) then drag racing. Drag racing is cool don't get me wrong, but real driving skills come from Road Racing. Are coilovers a good way to go to get the best of both? And how do they mount for the rear?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

97cobra
¯
Member # 150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra  Ford pictures for 97cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is probley a stupid question, but what is a T/A rear-end cover. And what does it do ???

--------------------
"Some people dream with success... while others wake up early and work hard to have it." Man do I ever want to go back to dreaming of it !!!

Posts: 116 | From: Fremont, ca | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

quote:
I guess the paint would have to be a small price to pay. I have a lot more fun driving on road courses(what little I have done) then drag racing. Drag racing is cool don't get me wrong, but real driving skills come from Road Racing. Are coilovers a good way to go to get the best of both? And how do they mount for the rear?

start saving bud cuz by summer i should have my shit hooked up and then we'll take it to the back roads!! one of these days we will take my shifter kart out and practice he he he you'll love it.

--------------------

j0k3r
¯
Member # 826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j0k3r  Ford pictures for j0k3r    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

My setup is pretty bad ass. I am pretty confident you could go right out to the track and now have to worry about the twisties. I have the Eibach pro-kit with Tokico Illumina shocks and struts. The road feels like glue.

--------------------
[img]http://www.writebacksoon.net/pics/sig.jpg[/img]
Webmaster
http://www.1999gt.com

JUSTIN
¯
Member # 586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUSTIN  Ford pictures for JUSTIN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
am I the only one that knows about preloading the rear with airbags????

--------------------
JUSTIN selling everything and buying a viper!

Posts: 310 | From: UNION CITY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Boss 330
Member # 919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 330  Ford pictures for Boss 330  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A major cause of wheel hop is the use of 35 and 40 series 17 inch tires,The short stiff side wall won't absorb any shock and sets off the hop.There are a bunch of stock suspension mustangs around here that do 1.65 60's They use 26-11.5-26 ET streets or slicks with no wheel hop..Al

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com