Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6L Idler or Supercharger Pulley problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.6L Idler or Supercharger Pulley problem
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one of the pullies on my engine doesnt sound smooth, it sounds like something is rubbing somewhere on it. I think it is either my vortech supercharger pulley or the idler pulley, but i cant tell for sure. I called a few places and they said that most likely its only the idler, but i was curious to know if anyone has had a similar problem, or can offer any insight into what the problem may be. Thanks
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its most likely your idler pulley. Just pull the belt and check the bearings. If its the vortech pulley you may wanna check it out more and you may even have to have it sent in. It cost around $300 for them to rebuild it(new seals and bearings and what not).

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Exactly what the guy above said. don't buy another vortech idler, there is an aftermarket vendor that makes then. Gabe knows. Are you coming on sunday? I can check it out then.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
Exactly what the guy above said. don't buy another vortech idler, there is an aftermarket vendor that makes then. Gabe knows. Are you coming on sunday? I can check it out then.

I should be there on sunday Brian. I will probably go to speed merchant later this week and have them look at it, since they are the ones that put it in. Any idea how much the after market vendor charges? and what is the name of the vendor? Thanks

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark, I can check it out for you if you like. Lemme know(Blu50Stang@aol.com).

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

quote:
Originally posted by Blu50Stang:
Mark, I can check it out for you if you like. Lemme know(Blu50Stang@aol.com).

Thanks Ross, if i dont get it looked at tomorrow i'll still have my car with me at the cruise on sunday and you and/or brian can take a look at it there. Are you going to be at the cruise?

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88gt:

Thanks Ross, if i dont get it looked at tomorrow i'll still have my car with me at the cruise on sunday and you and/or brian can take a look at it there. Are you going to be at the cruise?

you bringing the blue car out too?

Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

quote:
Originally posted by 2000BlackGT:

you bringing the blue car out too?

should I? i might have a friend drive it. If someone is interested in buying it then i'll definately bring it also.

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah bring it out anyways. Just have Ambler drive it. I have a friend thats interested, but he has to sell his 70 coupe that we posted in the ford sale section
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

quote:
Originally posted by 2000BlackGT:
yeah bring it out anyways. Just have Ambler drive it. I have a friend thats interested, but he has to sell his 70 coupe that we posted in the ford sale section

Ok, i'll probably bring it then. Will you friend be there to look at it?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com