Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Not enough bite with a 96 GT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Not enough bite with a 96 GT
BADSTNG
¯
Member # 899

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for BADSTNG  Ford pictures for BADSTNG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oi...yet again a 14.9 at the track today...I just cant get the car to bite on the launch. Any ideas on what tires will be sticky enough for the track but a good overall tire for my 17x8 stock rims? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a set of beater rims and slicks?

Car has 3:73's, dual chamber flow masters, 9mm plug wires, air silencer removed.

--------------------
3.73s
Flowmaster Mufflers
K&N, air silencer removed
2" drop
FMS 9mm plug wires
RiceKiller (The lizard)
[img]http://www.digidistributors.com/rk/rk2.jpg[/img]

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do u let out the clutch i feather my clutch i ran a 14.7 in 90 degree weather.Dont just rev it up and drop the clutch i did that and i got really crappy times.I just feather it now.
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
CANTCME
¯
Member # 525

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CANTCME  Ford pictures for CANTCME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what were your 60' times?
Posts: 844 | From: san francisco,ca | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you done any suspension work? Nitto drag radials could be run on the track and on the street, and could be a good idea for you. Suspension work could also go a long way towards getting better launches
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93mustangt:
How do u let out the clutch i feather my clutch i ran a 14.7 in 90 degree weather.Dont just rev it up and drop the clutch i did that and i got really crappy times.I just feather it now.

I agree, don't just hammer it. Or you can always go with a locker...

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
BADSTNG
¯
Member # 899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BADSTNG  Ford pictures for BADSTNG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CANTCME:
what were your 60' times?

60' was 2.3 seconds on both runs, first run I burned hard second run was almost an idle out of the hole...1st run was a 15.2@93.3 and second run was the 14.9@93.3. On the first run I think I dropped the clutch hard at 1500-2k. Ill try to feather the clutch next time.

--------------------
3.73s
Flowmaster Mufflers
2" drop
FMS 9mm plug wires
RiceKiller (The lizard)

BADSTNG
¯
Member # 899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BADSTNG  Ford pictures for BADSTNG  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RK96GT:
Oi...yet again a 14.9 at the track today...I just cant get the car to bite on the launch. Any ideas on what tires will be sticky enough for the track but a good overall tire for my 17x8 stock rims? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a set of beater rims and slicks?

Car has 3:73's, dual chamber flow masters, 9mm plug wires, air silencer removed.

One more thing my tires are getting a little thin....what should I go with next?

--------------------
3.73s
Flowmaster Mufflers
2" drop
FMS 9mm plug wires
RiceKiller (The lizard)

ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

One more thing my tires are getting a little thin....what should I go with next?

I just got my BFG COMP T/A's I havent been to the track with them but I like them. What size are you running in the rear, I had probs with my nitto's rubing with the stock wheels and they where only 255's? I went with 245's all the way around and its all good now.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ihatethesesns:

I just got my BFG COMP T/A's I havent been to the track with them but I like them. What size are you running in the rear, I had probs with my nitto's rubing with the stock wheels and they where only 255's? I went with 245's all the way around and its all good now.

Problem with 255's? I am running 265 in the rears and 245's in the front, no rubbing for me...
[Bling Bling]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

BADSTNG
¯
Member # 899

quote:
Originally posted by ihatethesesns:

Iam running 245/44zr17s all the way around.

--------------------
3.73s
Flowmaster Mufflers
2" drop
FMS 9mm plug wires
RiceKiller (The lizard)

84Tbird
¯
Member # 901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84Tbird  Ford pictures for 84Tbird  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sure ya mean 245/45-17's,..cant launch cant get tire sizes right,..whats wrong with ya man? Heheh its all good steve you know its all in love,..we gotta get you to perfect your launch,..that combined with meats should = a great ET.

--------------------
[img]http://digidistributors.com/carchat/dodoburn.jpg[/img]
"There is no replacement for displacement"

TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Buy some 275 Nitto 555R's, get some underdrive pulleys and a Off road pipe. That should put you in the low 14's

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com