Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » I HATE NOSIE ROLLER ROCKERS!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: I HATE NOSIE ROLLER ROCKERS!!!!
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
....is there a solution? I know someone is going to suggest getting a 4.6 so we can forget about that one right now.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my rockers were noisy because when the valves close and the spring is all the way up the 1.7's rockers would contact the valve spring retainer cup. (I have Crane heavy duty springs)I took all my rockers off and shaved a little off each one with a "bench grinder". When I reinstalled my rockers I made sure that as soon as the pushrod contacted I turned the rocker hold down bolt 3/4 turns anyless youll get noise. If the hold down bolt tightens before 3/4 turns you need to shave the rocker mounts.(even though "Crane" suggest1/4--1 turns will be o.k.)

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Black94 5.0,

Thanks man, I never considered that. I'll try it out tomarrow and let you know how it rturns out.

--------------------
AED

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so what happened? Did it work?

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
twelveflat
¯
Member # 875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twelveflat  Ford pictures for twelveflat    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just make sure if you do have to mill the rocker stands that you do it in a surface grinder and not a bench grinder. The stands have to be milled true. The bearings in the rockers don't like side loading. With my setup I have the 1.7's and I ended up milling off .025 to get 3/4 turn on exhaust and 1 turn on intake. They are nice and quiet. All I hear now are a few exhaust leaks

--------------------
Thanks
Dan

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
so what happened? Did it work?

he crashed his car. check his posts in the "general section"

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Black94 5.0 - Hey man, 88gt is right. I wrecked my car last sunday in the rain. Due to bald tires. It was a hard lesson learned. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I did get to tighten down my rr's before I crashed. I was able to drive it after once adjustment and they were deffinately less noisy. I think I had just a little more nosie that could go, but hey, i guess I don't have to worry about that now.....lol Thanks again, Drew

--------------------
AED

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com