Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 SPD VS. AODE

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 SPD VS. AODE
STALLION98GT
¯
Member # 867

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for STALLION98GT  Ford pictures for STALLION98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF AODE VS. 5SPD
CAN ANYONE TELL ME..?

Posts: 711 | From: San jose (east) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What application are you talking about? What power level?
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5spd's are funner but if you are straight draging a built aod is the way to go thats my theory you can't shift a manuel like an aod.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

STALLION98GT
¯
Member # 867

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for STALLION98GT  Ford pictures for STALLION98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering because I have a 98 gt and its an automatic..
I mean it gets up and I can keep up with a 5spd
but im thinking about converting it to a 5spd..

think I should..?
or should I go with a transgo shift kit
and 2600 series stall converter..?

lowerd96
¯
Member # 515

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowerd96  Ford pictures for lowerd96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your gonna convert to manual, put in a T56 in and run some 4.56's in the rear or something. You'de be launching so hard, and then have a nice tall 6th gear for cruising. Someday I will have that......

--------------------
2002 F-350, Standard Cab, XLT, Power Stroke Diesel, 4x4, 6 speed....4" exhaust, 80 hp chip...

1988 Bronco, 351W, C6, 6inch lift, 36 Swamper TSL's, 35 spline 9 inch rear, disk brakes, Detroit Locker, ARB Air Locker Front, 4:10's, 8 point cage.

1981 Toyota SR5 Longbed, 22re, 5spd, Marlin Crawler Dual Cases, 4.88 high pinions w/ detroits f/r, High Steer, 5 inch Alcan's, 33 Swamper TSL's....

Deftone37
¯
Member # 563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deftone37  Ford pictures for Deftone37    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't recommend switching to 5 spd/6 spd. Its a helluva lot of work to do, and it will cost ya some serious bank. Stick with the auto and get a shift kit and all that good stuff.

--------------------
'98 GT
mostly stock

Posts: 20 | From: fremont, ca | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are thinking of going manual, save some extra cash and do it right, put a T-56 in it. The extra cash is worth it. Just why don't the Fords come with it stock, I don't know???

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Drew B
¯
Member # 698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew B  Ford pictures for Drew B  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to put a t56 in a mustang going to cost you atleast 4,000 and you will have to customize your car i just did one.

--------------------
AKA.GR40coupe

STALLION98GT
¯
Member # 867

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for STALLION98GT  Ford pictures for STALLION98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I THINK I'LL STAY WITH THE AUTO AND PUT A SWEET AS SHIFT KIT..AND SOME 4.11'S OR 3.73'S

I CANT BARK THE TIRES AS HARD BUT I CAN DO A SWEET ASS BREAK STANCE..

nickn
¯
Member # 193

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nickn  Ford pictures for nickn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STALLION98GT:

think I should..?

Stall, gears amd some slicks, your car will pick up some great ET! if dragracing is your thing, the auto is the way to go. how big of a stall, well thats up to you, I think with a 4.6s weaker lower end a 3000 stall would be better, than a 2600, that is if those numbers are accurate, some converters, are a little off on thier stall speeds. I dont see too many auto stangs, Id love to see what a 4.6 could do, on a stock motor, with a heads and cams package or something. you should really see what the LS1 guys are doing with just heads and cam, in a auto car with a big stall. hehe

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

think I should..?

The faster you get, the faster you'll be with an automatic.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

think I should..?

Yo what up man, I like my auto a lot. Its getting faster and faster. At the end of the month i'm getting a shift kit installed and looking into installing some 3.73 gears.
At first i really didnt like my auto when it was all stock but now that i can just push that little pedal down and race some 5-speeds and beat them like nothing its really fun.
Plus you know you just love to cruise on those friday and saturday nights without having to worry about shifting.
Hey what the hell keep the auto in and put that shift kit and stall converter in and youll be flying past people. Plus its kinda advantage when you race people and they think there going to spank u cause u have an auto and u just tear them up! Haha lol, thats the best, anyways keep that auto and tear some people up!

--------------------
Support our troops!

STALLION98GT
¯
Member # 867

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for STALLION98GT  Ford pictures for STALLION98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YA ..I KNOW HUH.. THANKS BRO
I WAS STARTING TO HATE MY AUTO CUZ EVERYONE HAS STICK... BUT WHEN I RACED SOME PEOPLE THAT HAVE STICK AND I SMOKED THEM...I DIDNT FEEL BAD AT ALL.

AND YOUR RIGHT ABOUT CRUZIN .DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SHIFTIN..PLUS WHEN MY GIRL IS IN MY CAR. I CAN USE MY HAND FOR OTHER THINGS ..

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you just bought a nice stall(2800-3200) and put a shift kit in it you will take out all us 5spds on the road and you'll be consistant. Not to mention the cash you saved. Some people will argue that stall speed is too high and will tend to overheat your tranny while freeway drivin'/cruizin' but a buddy of mine runs a 4000 stall on the street everyday without problems. Besides while normal driving your motor will not just be chillin' at 3000. That rating is a flash speed rating. That's when the converter is at full lockup. You'll probably cruize at 1800-2000 which is still fuel efficient. Oh that stock tranny cooler might not be enough. Just remember, especially on the street, nothing leaves the whole harder than an automatic...
Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
YA ..I KNOW HUH.. THANKS BRO
I WAS STARTING TO HATE MY AUTO CUZ EVERYONE HAS STICK... BUT WHEN I RACED SOME PEOPLE THAT HAVE STICK AND I SMOKED THEM...I DIDNT FEEL BAD AT ALL.

AND YOUR RIGHT ABOUT CRUZIN .DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SHIFTIN..PLUS WHEN MY GIRL IS IN MY CAR. I CAN USE MY HAND FOR OTHER THINGS ..

Haha, yeah i know what you mean.Lol.

--------------------
Support our troops!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The main difference is the fun factor.
No comparison. For a daily driver/weekend car pick a manual.

For a bracket-racing track whore, go with a C4/AODE that is properly set up.

I'd personally rather bang the gears and be a little slower. But transbrakes kick ass too

84Tbird
¯
Member # 901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84Tbird  Ford pictures for 84Tbird  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well after replacing my AOD in the car in the pic below I can say it has been pretty non-problematic. However if you want a tranny you can beat on I suggest a Lentech AOD. Those things are harder then hell to destroy. That combined with a nice stall and honestly man you might drop up to 3 tenths off your stock AOD's times. Autos the way to go for bracket killing. Unless you're Godly at rowing the gearbox.

--------------------
[img]http://digidistributors.com/carchat/dodoburn.jpg[/img]
"There is no replacement for displacement"

84Tbird
¯
Member # 901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84Tbird  Ford pictures for 84Tbird  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW that is the new tranny I have been beating on,..I have heard bad things about AOD's but heck i beat the crap out of this one and it laughs at me,..then again a 302 rated at 140hp is kinda laughable I guess too,..but the 285ft lbs of torque is nice

--------------------
[img]http://digidistributors.com/carchat/dodoburn.jpg[/img]
"There is no replacement for displacement"

STALLION98GT
¯
Member # 867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STALLION98GT  Ford pictures for STALLION98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where can you get a tranny like that? and how much does it cost..?
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
The main difference is the fun factor.
No comparison. For a daily driver/weekend car pick a manual.

For a bracket-racing track whore, go with a C4/AODE that is properly set up.

I'd personally rather bang the gears and be a little slower. But transbrakes kick ass too

Well said, there is nothing better then dumping that clutch and getting it side ways!!!

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here!!! here!!!, Manuals are so much more fun. I had an auto, and I doubt that I could go back.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com