Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Attn: Sawson

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Attn: Sawson
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It looks like Apex was partially correct about getting good dyno readings with my stall. It turns out that the stall is 6200 RPM instead of the 3800 it was designed for. This might also explain why even when we started the run at 4000 we still couldn't get any dyno numbers. When you mention it to them be sure to tell them it went 9.70 @ 144 as is. Vince was kinda hinting that there was a problem with the setup .

I need to pull the converter and send it back to Dynamic for rework to set the stall at 4600-4800 as they now recommend. More down time .

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
MikeySBF
¯
Member # 865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeySBF  Ford pictures for MikeySBF  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats one fast fookin car
Posts: 371 | From: East bay, cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting stuff. How did you find this out? Did they just send you the wrong converter or what?
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The way I found out was to do something I should have done a long time ago, set the trans brake and rev the motor. Sounds simple enough to test but since I hadn't planned on launching off the trans brake for the first couple of outings I kinda let it go. It's also something I can't test in my driveway without the wrath of neighbors.

The scary part is that the thing that usually increases stall speed on a given converter is torque/HP. This one was supposed to be set up for 900 HP but I can't believe all of the error is in the HP calculation. Some has to be in the way they set it up, anotherwords, error on their part.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
John, I wonder how abnormal that is.... remember this video of a local:

http://www.netwizards.net/~thndr50/incar3.mpg

He lists a 4300RPM stall here:

http://www.netwizards.net/~thndr50/specs.html

But you can clearly see the RPM's jump to 6K and pretty much stay there.

Just trying to play devil's advocate.

If you're going to be converterless for a while....maybe you should stick a stock one in there and go dyno it!

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Jumping to 6000 after launch and staying close to that during shifts is not so bad as long as you truely have a 4300 stall. His is clearly around 4500 if you watch his launch. He goes on the brake and floors the motor, that's when his rev's go to around 4500. Once he releases the brake the rev's start to climb to his shift RPM and pretty much stay around that point. All good in his case. If it had been me, the rev's would have shot up to 6200 prior to launch before brake release....this is not good.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see your point.

Good news is, you'll pick up even more MPH with a tighter converter! I bet you'll still have problems on the dyno with your power level and a high stall converter. Good thing dyno's are only for tuning and timeslips are for braging though!

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Yeah, I actually don't need the dyno anymore. Main reason, like a said before, was just to have a place close by to be able to go WOT and get some data logs. All WOT's will be at the track from now on

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com