Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » battery disconnect?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: battery disconnect?
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm planning to move my battery/starter solenoid to the trunk. Can I run one of these disconnects to the drivers seat and still be okay at the track? I'd rather not drill a hole to the outside of the car to run a switch.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-1330022

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has to be at the rear of the vehicle.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have mine hidden by the license plate, plate is mounted to about 3-4" worth of spacers to give the switch room behind it. I take my plates off at the track anyways, and this way it's in an easy spot and is clearly marked.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure it kills the altanator also. They will rev the car to 2000+ RPM and make sure it shuts off with that switch

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone have pics of how they ran theirs? already have my battery in the trunk without a disconnect

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess I can get another tail light lens and drill it for a rod that's connected to the switch for when I go racing. It only takes a few minutes to change out a lens. Probably the easiest way so I don't have a rod sticking outside the car all the time.

I'm going to put the starter solenoid in the trunk and fuse the alt wire on each end that way I don't have 12 volts flowing in case it grounds out in a wreck. Good call on the alt wire being hooked up to the cutoff, I bet that gets overlooked.

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I see many people fail tech from the alt keeping the car running. Lol

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
I see many people fail tech from the alt keeping the car running. Lol

An that's why I don't run a alt.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 70stang351w:
Anyone have pics of how they ran theirs? already have my battery in the trunk without a disconnect

-
 -

very old pic (2007?), I install heatshrink up to the ends of each connection later.

switch turns off the feed from the 3g alternator stud before it goes to the battery in the trunk. From the switched side that large 0/1 awg wire goes to the starter solenoid which powers the starter, and the starter solenoid has an 8awg wire lead that goes to the fender solenoid which powers the rest of the cars needs.

Pretty simple.

[ 2015-05-26, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Slick setup. I ordered all my stuff over the weekend minus the tail light lens. Need to find an original one. I went with a Taylor aluminum box, flaming river disconnect, 0/1 gauge wire and a bunch of misc items to fuse the alt wire. Hopefully will have all the parts by this Friday to make the conversion.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Getting close to driving it again!

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

[IMG]  - [/IMG]

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very nice. did relocate the solenoid also?

--------------------

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a new starter that had one on it so I eliminated the one on the fender wall. I never trusted those old style ones. If your battery is low, they can get stuck into the on position and start smoking. Didn't want that anywhere near my gas tank! lol
70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

was planning on gettinga ford racing start with the built in solenoid when i do my FMX to aod swap did you ditch the Old Solenoid for a junction or eliminate it all together just been reading most still leave the old one and use its as a junction or Relay?

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com