Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Drag radial psi

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Drag radial psi
SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Went to the track with my new mickey thompson 275/40/17s and the best 60 ft i cud cut was a 1.9, was wondering what psi people where running in these tires and what else i could do to lower my 60ft....thanks all help appreciated

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

SSSSIKH
¯
Member # 8397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSSSIKH  Ford pictures for SSSSIKH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would do a burnout for about 5-7 seconds after they start smoking..any longer your just over heating them and your going to bog

rev it up to 4500 and dumb the clutch! should get u like a 1.6-1.7!!

--------------------
AED
WWW.AEDHP.COM

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SSSSIKH:
i would do a burnout for about 5-7 seconds after they start smoking..any longer your just over heating them and your going to bog

4500 haha on the stock axles???? im scuuuureddd lol.

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Watch the guys in the drag radial class in PSCA and WCHRA...they do relatively small burnouts compared to guys running slicks. I've seen them do the burnout until they just begin to smoke and then roll out of it. From what I've heard, the longer the burnout on a drag radial, it starts to get greasy.

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO NOT dump the clutch on any kind of sticky in a 03-04 Mach one. They the notorious for breaking axles with very low power and traction. [Eek!]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
DO NOT dump the clutch on any kind of sticky in a 03-04 Mach one. They the notorious for breaking axles with very low power and traction. [Eek!]

Do you suggest i run the clutch then?

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Also what are youre guy's opinions on powershifting? I have been doing it ever since i learned how and find it hard too race now any other way...

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i run the same size mt dr as you do. i run it at 16psi doing about 6-8 second burn out. depending on track condutions i can lauch the car anywhere from 2700-3500. best 60ft has been 1.63 but average is high 1.6's. i have found with my car. that it is a fine line between hooking it and spinning the tire..

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SSSSIKH
¯
Member # 8397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSSSIKH  Ford pictures for SSSSIKH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SAMACH1:
quote:
Originally posted by SSSSIKH:

4500 haha on the stock axles???? im scuuuureddd lol.
aj did it in his mach 1...anything less and it would just bog..

bog means its hooking so you need to launch higher!

dont dump the clutch since drew says not to, just slip it..

--------------------
AED
WWW.AEDHP.COM

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my 03 Cobras no matter which DR i used (nitto,bfg,mt) the psi range that worked the best was 15-18 psi depending on track condition.

All of them required very little burn-out just enough to get a little smoke and that's it.

On the IRS i NEVER dumped the clutch it was all a matter of finding what works best with the powerband and suspension.

Best 60 ft's were 1.54 and 1.52

Even the Hoosier QTP's i run on my Evo i have them staggered but still similar psi range 14-16 front / 17-19 rear.

[ May 14, 2009, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com