Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Norcal Shootout GRIEVANCE Thread (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Norcal Shootout GRIEVANCE Thread
WHYT LIE
¯
Member # 5925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WHYT LIE  Ford pictures for WHYT LIE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Please discuss any issues you had with the Shootout in here. I will try to answer any and all questions.

--------------------
WHYT LIE
'96 Camaro Z-28 (Artic White) hardtop 6-spd
10.78 @ 129mph 1.51 60ft

ZO SIC
'02 Corvette Z06 (Quicksilver)
11.88 @ 121.6mph 1.97 60ft

Posts: 113 | From: Lincoln, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did not attend, but do have questions as it will determine whether I go to next years event. I heard that qualifying was pointless as you were paired up with whoever you were next to. If that was the case, you could easily wait at the end of the line to get a bye run or pick on a slower car.

I would like to see a race that has a true qualifying run (or more) as well as a ladder for elims.

Greg

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The way i see it it was talked up like it was supposed to be Chevy vs. Ford [Confused]

Also it seemed as though classes and discussion were to keep it a "street car" event with few trailered cars....but what happens when i arrive plenty early to the track.....i get held off so that trailers and RV's can get in before me even though i sat in line waiting patiently [BS flag]

I even specifically asked about removing a seat to accomodate stuff i needed to bring to the track but got shit about being bumped into another class which didn't matter anyway as i was put into a heads up class running cars in the high 9's - 10's [Roll Eyes]

No one in the staging lanes knew what the lanes #'s actually were even though they were labelled in big huge white numbers!

I feel like a used guinea pig [BS flag]

I mean if there was 2 races that day wouldn't it be someones job to make sure they know you guys have an event going on? Plus it's not too hard to realize that when you have cars lined up to Excelsior when the other event was far from over.

I never saw the track prepped or cleaned after the first event or maybe i'm wrong.

There were too many stops in between cars running whether to resest the lights, figure out the staging lanes, oiled down track etc.

Not to mention some of the shadyness i saw go on toward the later rounds [Mad]

There are too many things to list......

I would have much rather went to a TNT and saved $10 and probably got much more track time w/ less [BS flag]

I"M NOT HAPPY AT ALL (and unfortunatley i have no one else to blame but the people throwng the event)

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just a couple of things. First, if you establish a class with specific requirements for the car then the car should be in that class and not moved up to a higher class because it is perceived to be too quick for that class. That's what established classes are for. Otherwise, you need to establish more specific classes so that cars are more evenly matched.

Second, if you announce that ALL classes will run a Full Tree except for Outlaw then you should stick to that format. I don't have a problem with either tree and will go with either one as long as I know which one it is. Next time tell the Ford guys also that the format has changed. That little detail cost me a win against that slower yellow crapmaro.

Can't really put blame on anyone for the staging lane number fiasco but that was not a small distraction. Especially when the tower announced that cars in the wrong lane would be DQ'd and none of the officials seemed to know which lane was which.

Otherwise had a fun time and hope the next one is more organized.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
02EBZ06
¯
Member # 436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 02EBZ06  Ford pictures for 02EBZ06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I raced in S-T-O-C-K + power adder. Its just racing and the faster car wins, yeah no problem. I didn't try and pick the cars I ran, I just pulled up to the staging lanes and went with whoever was there. HOWEVER, as we were going through eliminations, it became evident that a particular car/driver did not want to run me. So, he talked a high 9 sec Turbo Buick in to pulling in the lane with me. This seemed a bit unfair because I seriously doubt that buick had a stock heads and cam and was running 9 sec ETs. If I'm wrong, then fine. I just felt a bit cheated out of that race. My COMPLETELY stock car and a 9 sec car in a race, just doesn't seem like a fair match up somehow. Thats my beef.
As it turns out, I missed a gear on that pass, then left. I didn't even know I could buy back in to the race. I just can't imagine why he wouldn't race the two 8 sec Mustangs. Plus, to make matters worse, he sandbagged the race. The race before I pulled a 102mph in the 1/8 mile. That was good for a 11.0@125mph. I saw him tap the brake lights and coast through the traps with an 11.84. His 1/8 mile MPH was 102mph, same as mine on the previous race so I know he left off. He knew I missed a gear and bailed, but still he was totally cheating everyone in that lane in my opinion.
All I ask is keep cars like this where they belong in the single digit classes whichever they are.

Oh well, till next time...

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 02EBZ06:
I raced in S-T-O-C-K + power adder. Its just racing and the faster car wins, yeah no problem. I didn't try and pick the cars I ran, I just pulled up to the staging lanes and went with whoever was there. HOWEVER, as we were going through eliminations, it became evident that a particular car/driver did not want to run me. So, he talked a high 9 sec Turbo Buick in to pulling in the lane with me. This seemed a bit unfair because I seriously doubt that buick had a stock heads and cam and was running 9 sec ETs. If I'm wrong, then fine. I just felt a bit cheated out of that race. My COMPLETELY stock car and a 9 sec car in a race, just doesn't seem like a fair match up somehow. Thats my beef.
As it turns out, I missed a gear on that pass, then left. I didn't even know I could buy back in to the race. I just can't imagine why he wouldn't race the two 8 sec Mustangs. Plus, to make matters worse, he sandbagged the race. The race before I pulled a 102mph in the 1/8 mile. That was good for a 11.0@125mph. I saw him tap the brake lights and coast through the traps with an 11.84. His 1/8 mile MPH was 102mph, same as mine on the previous race so I know he left off. He knew I missed a gear and bailed, but still he was totally cheating everyone in that lane in my opinion.
All I ask is keep cars like this where they belong in the single digit classes whichever they are.

The class was based on stock displacement, not stock parts.

--------------------

02EBZ06
¯
Member # 436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 02EBZ06  Ford pictures for 02EBZ06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is a cut and paste from NORCALLS1:

Stock Motor $100 to winner, $50 to RU
Chevy Rules: All bolt ons allowed, stock motor internals. Stock cam and heads required.
Ford Rules: All bolt ons allowed, 302 with heads/cam/intake allowed.
'03/'04 Cobra: STOCK '03/'04 Cobra with catback exhaust ONLY

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not to get stinky about this but in your above thread you said S-T-O-C-K motor + power adder. Not sure if you meant this class but here are the rules for stock + power adder:

Stock Motor + 1 Power Adder $200 to winner, $100 to RU
Chevy Rules: 346"/350" with overbore allowed and aftermarket internals (basically, stock CI.) All bolts ons allowed, heads/cam/intake allowed.
Ford Rules: 331/347/351 Ford allowed with aftermarket internals. All bolt ons allowed, heads/cam/intake allowed.
'03/'04 Cobra: All bolt ons allowed.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gee, how does Buick V6 Turbo fit in?
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
glad i saw it being a fuster cluck from a mile away and got drunk instead [patriot]

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Originally posted by eljefe:
glad i saw it being a fuster cluck from a mile away and got drunk instead [patriot]

[worship]

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eljefe:

[patriot]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 02EBZ06:

acutally the slower white buick you raced, has stock heads, stock crank, stock rods, stock block, stock intake, stock tb, stock rear end, is almost a 1000 pounds heavier than your car, and no it isnt a 9 second car, just faster than yours

no bullshit that is a true stock motor + power adder car

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can someone set me straight on the Buicks.....i saw 3 white ones... them how quick/fast were each?

1 - went to the final
2 - had the biggest slicks out of the 3
3 - was the slowest of the 3 i believe i talked to him about Cobras (sorry i forgot your name)

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
Can someone set me straight on the Buicks.....i saw 3 white ones... them how quick/fast were each?

1 - went to the final
2 - had the biggest slicks out of the 3
3 - was the slowest of the 3 i believe i talked to him about Cobras (sorry i forgot your name)

Was it Eric...66AC COBRA?

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

02EBZ06
¯
Member # 436

Ok, ok. My mistake. I didn't realize there were several of them at the event. So many cars was hard to see there were actually three. Hey, with all those Syneryg girls everywhere, was hard to stay focused on HP!!!!!

Later, till the next event...

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there were only two white buicks

well if there was a third one it was slow and i didnt see it, the two i came with are fast

both went to the finals, one in stroker + adder and stock + adder

to the guy in the z06, yes the two fast ones are different, i didnt understand your post at first, it makes much more sense now, they are very similar in appearance, but much different under the hood

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

WHYT LIE
¯
Member # 5925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WHYT LIE  Ford pictures for WHYT LIE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Team SOLO:
I did not attend, but do have questions as it will determine whether I go to next years event. I heard that qualifying was pointless as you were paired up with whoever you were next to. If that was the case, you could easily wait at the end of the line to get a bye run or pick on a slower car.

I would like to see a race that has a true qualifying run (or more) as well as a ladder for elims.

Greg

Two things contributed to this. One, the track was packed with racers from the prior event which I had no idea about. This kept us from keeping the racers/cars in the pits and calling them up by class.

Second, we asked the track to use the computer to generate the ladder for the heads up classes. This never happened and would have been impossible to get to happen with the lack of space and time (another unfortunate thing out of our control) and the lack of experience from MANY of the racers.

As for the by runs... we were trying to pick two cars in the middle (or front/back) randomly and have them flip a coin for the by runs. It seems some people got lucky and got more than one by run (at least one car) and that is a shame. The problem came down to more than 2 people doing the deciding for the by runs and not being able to communicate that.

I think next time we will somehow mark the car that got the by run...

I wish the track/tower/computers were more sophisticated for this sort of thing.

--------------------
WHYT LIE
10.78 @ 129mph 1.51 60ft

ZO SIC

WHYT LIE
¯
Member # 5925

quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
Just a couple of things. First, if you establish a class with specific requirements for the car then the car should be in that class and not moved up to a higher class because it is perceived to be too quick for that class. That's what established classes are for. Otherwise, you need to establish more specific classes so that cars are more evenly matched.

Second, if you announce that ALL classes will run a Full Tree except for Outlaw then you should stick to that format. I don't have a problem with either tree and will go with either one as long as I know which one it is. Next time tell the Ford guys also that the format has changed. That little detail cost me a win against that slower yellow crapmaro.

Can't really put blame on anyone for the staging lane number fiasco but that was not a small distraction. Especially when the tower announced that cars in the wrong lane would be DQ'd and none of the officials seemed to know which lane was which.

Otherwise had a fun time and hope the next one is more organized.

We had been saying that we would move cars to keep the classes competative. Not much fun for there to be a "race" car that fits the rules running 9's where the rest of the cars in that class are true street cars running 11's. Not fun for the majority of the racers, nor the crowd. Although I do see this as being unfair to the person who runs 9's and set their car up properly.

We announced at the track that all bracket and Stock Motor classes would have a 5/10ths full tree (sportsman) and all other classes would have a 5/10ths Pro tree. And that Outlaw would be a 4/10ths Pro tree.

As for the lanes being mislabled and the cars in the wrong lanes... That lies on the track. Tony (the track manager) told me that people were in the wrong lane, so we announced that cars in the wrong lane would be DQed if they missed their run/eliminations. I was not aware of the REASON why people were in the wrong lane. In my past experience it has been people jumping lanes to get more runs, or people not experienced in drag strip etiquette.

Next years races will be MUCH better organized (if I am involved) as I will take what I learned from this event and better the next ones.

I personally apologize for any inconvience this years race caused anyone.

Although I have been to MANY T&T and Grudge nights that were much more hectic then this and I only got 1 or 2 runs in from the ENTIRE night. For $10 more, I would gladly pay to race and have a chance at money and trophies... and that sweet feeling of adrenaline from a race that matters.

--------------------
WHYT LIE
10.78 @ 129mph 1.51 60ft

ZO SIC

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:

well if there was a third one it was slow and i didnt see it, the two i came with are fast

to the guy in the z06, yes the two fast ones are different, i didnt understand your post at first, it makes much more sense now, they are very similar in appearance, but much different under the hood

Eric

I don't believe that was you i spoke with in the pits (if it was my apologies for not remembering) [Embarrassed]

I saw 1 go 9's and how fast was the other? They were both on trailers correct?

The one guy i spoke with drove his there and must have been much slower than the 2 you speak of....but then again i could be wrong [Smile]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
quote:

Eric

I don't believe that was you i spoke with in the pits (if it was my apologies for not remembering) [Embarrassed]

The one guy i spoke with drove his there and must have been much slower than the 2 you speak of....but then again i could be wrong [Smile]

nope wasnt me, i kept trying to come over an say whatups, you were parked 50 feet away, but you were always goin to the lanes, next time it wont be so mad and we can shoot the shit for a second

the two white buicks i came with were right next to each other and both on trailers, i towed the slower of the two with my pickup

the one i towed is a 10 second true stock motored street car

did the 3rd white buick not even race, i watched almost every race and didnt see him??

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
quote:
quote:

Eric

nope wasnt me, i kept trying to come over an say whatups, you were parked 50 feet away, but you were always goin to the lanes, next time it wont be so mad and we can shoot the shit for a second

the two white buicks i came with were right next to each other and both on trailers, i towed the slower of the two with my pickup

the one i towed is a 10 second true stock motored street car

did the 3rd white buick not even race, i watched almost every race and didnt see him??

Lol...i had no idea that was you [Razz]

Never thought you'd be with a couple GN's [Eek!] [Big Grin] I was actually going to check the cars out and hoot the shit but like you said i would go to the lanes and when back didn't see you guys there til the end.

Oh well we''l have to chat a bit next time out.

The 3rd GN must have as he was in line for tech at the same time i was unless i'm grossly mistaken and that was 1 of the 2 Gn's with you in line for tech.

The guy i spoke with was really interested in 03/04 Cobras but said he had his car there.

Glad to see your buddy's did well!

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

02EBZ06
¯
Member # 436

This is the best looking turbo buick, I've ever seen. I have video of the two Mustangs I ran and the buick, if anyone wants it.
 -

Avengeance
¯
Member # 5163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avengeance  Ford pictures for Avengeance    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those are Regal T-types... not GNs.. correct?

--------------------
02' Limited Edition 35th Ann. SS
620rwhp/570rwtq. 10.6 @ 132mph.

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by Avengeance:
Those are Regal T-types... not GNs.. correct?

[Embarrassed] you must be correct as i don't know much about those cars regal vs. GN

What is the diff?

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com