Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Need help launching on ET Streets BAD!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help launching on ET Streets BAD!!!
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Last night was my first time out on skinnies and ET Streets.

My first run was 13.08 @108 with a 2.03 60ft and that was about the best run I had all night.

The pressure in the tires for that run were at 16psi. I went all the way down to 12psi and then felt like the car was all over the place going down the track.

I'm thinking I need to warm the tires up more, get some u/l control arms and maybe a line lock.

Since I have an aode, I was only able to launch at around 2200.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
invest in a converter [Big Grin]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's your combo? I raced you a couple of times your car runs well and sounds pretty damn good also.
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sadly I have a 3000 PI converter that dinged me $900 bills.

SF Coupe - I have a 331 stroker with tw heads, tfs intake and xe274hr cam with all the other bolt ons. The exhaust is a o/r bassani x w/spintech prostreets.

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

SF Coupe- you car runs and sounds pretty good too.

Forgot to mention the first time around that on DRs, I was able to do 12.7 so I was pretty bummed about the 13.0 on the ET Streets.

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need a higher launch RPM. From the runs I saw, your car bogged every time. If you're only able to launch at 2200, that's gonna be your biggest hinderance. Next time out, try nailing it from idle. Hopefully your converter will flash enough. Otherwise, you'll be looking at another converter, because yours isn't doing it's job...

Either that, or a 5 spd swap! [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

John,

Thanks for the advice...I agree that I need to leave the line at a higher rpm. I couldn't feel the car bogging though. If anything it felt like I was spinning off the line.

If I can't get the 60s down with some suspension help and maybe the line lock, I'll have to maybe go with the 5 speed swap and call it a day. [patriot]

Oh by the way, you car is pretty damn sweet. [worship]

--------------------

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i would go upper and lower control arms and a 5 speed or something that would allow u to launch at a higher rpm cuz 16psi should have been good as long as u warm the tires up good enough for at least 5-6 seconds and try to burn them all the way to the line without passin it and stage up quick i launch mine at 4k and a little bit of spin is better then boggin down
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

OK...hopefully I have a solution to my launching problem. I'm gonna get the u/l control arms and a 3800 stall sometime in August.

That should help out a bit...

--------------------

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off don't swap in a 5 speed. [Roll Eyes] Autos are great for drag racing, and will run just as hard as a 5 speed (especially with high HP cars). [Eek!] My car has a 3000rpm converter, and it is fine, so I think you need to try some new techniques. Also how was your car hooking. I went from a 1.65 to a 1.77 just from different suspension even tough it was hooking the same. You need to video it, and watch how squats and lifts. You want it to move as little as possible, because that is wasting energy. But you also want it to not blow the tires away. Traction has many different factors. I will be out soon in the 88, so maybe we can meet at the track and you can see my car. Look into a trans-brake. [burnout]

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Hey Don,

That sounds good...I'll let you know the next time I go.

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto's are boring. Unless you are a dedicated bracket racer or running faster than 9's, sticks are wayyyy more fun.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fat chicks are boring to me , but others love them. [Wink]
Thanks for your opinion though... [Roll Eyes]
LOL 9's, lets take a count on this board, and see what there is more of 10 sec autos or sticks. Then lets look at them and see which ones actually run 10s consistently. [Eek!]
With big power the car will almost always be quicker with an auto, (not faster) and E.T. is what wins races, and hey that's what I want.
BTW an auto with a T-brake and MVB sure is fun to me. [Big Grin]
I street race and bracket race, both types of races win with quick consistent times. Who would have figured? [Confused]
Now on the other hand freeway racing will require a stick, and lots of power I will give you that.
No one likes autos, and their first opinion is, "put in a stick", because that is what they like. If you like your AODE then just work through your problems, and you will come out with a quick FUN car. [dance]

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Don:
Fat chicks are boring to me , but others love them. [Wink]
Thanks for your opinion though... [Roll Eyes]

Any time, sphincter boy. And it is possible to win brackets w/ a stick. Just takes some practice and maybe some talent. A two-step and a shift light can be very consisitent if you know what you are doing.
Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

"sphincter boy" nice now we are name calling. [Mad]

Thanks Jim. I do look forward to racing you at the track. I am sure with your talent, and years of practice with your stick you won't have a problem with my slow T-Top Auto. [Eek!]
BTW I was not trying to start a war just also voice my opinion. I get tired of hearing things like

1. Nitous is cheating
2. Autos are for slow cars, and people who can't drive
3. Bracket racing is stupid
4. Lets race on the freeway from a roll

Don

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

In that case I apologize and will stick w/ the manly little smilie faces so as not to be too insulting to the sensitive folks. [Roll Eyes]

The only part I agree with is that auto's are boring. If I get fast enough and a built 5 speed is too hard to handle, I might go w/ an auto. But if Warren Johnson can do it...

And yes, more stall and some suspension work will definitley help his launch.

As far as racing- hold your breath. Out of funds so the new combo will have to sit for awhile. Can't afford it plus the roll cage, etc.

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Geesh...you guys don't have to fight over which is better. It's not that important.

I think my aode is boring to drive on the street when it's left in D...but when I shift manually it's not too bad.

I'd like to get a T-Brake but for now will stick to the suspension stuff and 3800 stall.

So far the car isn't doing too bad considering it's suppose to be the slowest type of 5.0 around (sn95, aode and convertable)

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com