Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Runner-up at Infineon 3/24

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Runner-up at Infineon 3/24
Blackicelsc
¯
Member # 4015

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Blackicelsc  Ford pictures for Blackicelsc  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was playing around in the street class on Wed night, ended up going 4 rounds, got to the last 10 cars, and they had to end the event due to CURFUE!!!???

We drew numbers to determine who gets what trophy(whoop-de-do), and I ended up with the runner-up.

I was talking to my friend eric in the tower afterwords, and come to find out, the other 4-top cars had some of the worst reaction times of the class, they just happened to be consistent/lucky enough to go rounds.

I had .028, .036, .051. and .059 reaction times all night. I was no more than 2/100ths off all night(except for "tree-ing" most of my competition, and having to lift to avoid breaking out). I did the math folks, and the event would have belonged to me, had we gone more rounds.

My Mark VIII was running the number ALL NIGHT!35 mph head wind, no traction, and a 45 minute oil-down clean up(damn imprts-learn to drive! If you break at the starting line, dont stay in the throttle, all the way down the track, right in the center of the lane, dumping 5 qts of oil(and metal [Smile] )

But my consolation was: The guy who picked the right number, and got the "winner" trophy...was driving a blue Fox Mustang GT, running 13.50's. He and I agreed we probably would have been in the finals together, and his best light of the night was a .617!!!

Oh well. Just goes to prove, you need 3 things to win. A good car, you have to know what you're doing, and Lady Luck. She(lady luck) was obviously on his side(big trophy)

The copper plugs really helped my ET. I was running the same numbers in a 35 mph head wind, that I normally run in good conditions, so I know the $10.00 worth of plugs gave me a few mph, and 2/10ths!

Thanks for reading. Hope to see some of you out there next week.

BTW, I didnt race any of you. I took out a 19 second Black Dodge Dually, a gold El Camino(idiot tried to fender race me in his 13 second car, but couldnt cut a light-moron), a 14 second Mustang, and a 17 second Yukon. The rounds were too easy. None of them could cut better than a .590 light, so I was catching them by 1000 ft mark.

See ya at the track!

[ March 27, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Blackicelsc ]

--------------------
94 black/black Mark VIII
97 LSC red/graphite Mark VIII
Vice President GGM8
Black Ice LSC

Posts: 63 | From: Santa Rosa, Ca. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
great job. automatics are reasons #1, 2, and 3 I gave up on bracket racing years ago [Razz]

I seriously wonder if a rental car stuck in 'D' would be really that difficult to advance near the finals. That's my main gripe with bracket racing. I mean I could rent a cavalier and expect to be very competitive. But by the time you're win/loss is down below a 0.10 of a second from R/T and ET combined, I'm sure it's very difficult of course.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
great job. automatics are reasons #1, 2, and 3 I gave up on bracket racing years ago [Razz]

I seriously wonder if a rental car stuck in 'D' would be really that difficult to advance near the finals. That's my main gripe with bracket racing. I mean I could rent a cavalier and expect to be very competitive. But by the time you're win/loss is down below a 0.10 of a second from R/T and ET combined, I'm sure it's very difficult of course.

Joe, I've actually tried this before, LOL...
We had a rental V6 camaro that the insurance paid for after the old man got into a fender bender. Well, I took the POS up to SAC on Wed night a few years ago hoping to win it all...
I left the auto tranny in "D" and did the same thing every time. Fucking thing was all over the board from 16.1 - 16.5
I think I got cooked in the second round and went home...

I expected the stock v6 auto camaro to be a little more consistent.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Mfracing
¯
Member # 4034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mfracing  Ford pictures for Mfracing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good job, i was there 110 cars in street, i'm still working on the new light, 035 red in the second round. good thing you didn't match up with downtown don. that stupid ricer's oildown sucked, i had the silver v6 mustang running 13.4s! [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
302hp/361tq
12.6e/t@105mph
Amazon Tuning Solutions
Mel and Son's Mufflers
Super Six Motorsports
Mizzi's Automotive
Main Machine

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:

Joe, I've actually tried this before, LOL...
We had a rental V6 camaro that the insurance paid for after the old man got into a fender bender. Well, I took the POS up to SAC on Wed night a few years ago hoping to win it all...
I left the auto tranny in "D" and did the same thing every time. Fucking thing was all over the board from 16.1 - 16.5
I think I got cooked in the second round and went home...

I expected the stock v6 auto camaro to be a little more consistent.

Haha, I have friends with similar results from bracket racing there automatics. Its funny how inconsistant they can be.

On the other hand, my girl friends Z24 Cavalier runs 15.6's all night long and squeeks out a 15.5 every now and then.

Eh, who knows...lol

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blackicelsc:
I was playing around in the street class on Wed night, ended up going 4 rounds, got to the last 10 cars, and they had to end the event due to CURFUE!!!???

We drew numbers to determine who gets what trophy(whoop-de-do), and I ended up with the runner-up.

I was talking to my friend eric in the tower afterwords, and come to find out, the other 4-top cars had some of the worst reaction times of the class, they just happened to be consistent/lucky enough to go rounds.

I had .028, .036, .051. and .059 reaction times all night. I was no more than 2/100ths off all night(except for "tree-ing" most of my competition, and having to lift to avoid breaking out). I did the math folks, and the event would have belonged to me, had we gone more rounds.

My Mark VIII was running the number ALL NIGHT!35 mph head wind, no traction, and a 45 minute oil-down clean up(damn imprts-learn to drive! If you break at the starting line, dont stay in the throttle, all the way down the track, right in the center of the lane, dumping 5 qts of oil(and metal [Smile] )

But my consolation was: The guy who picked the right number, and got the "winner" trophy...was driving a blue Fox Mustang GT, running 13.50's. He and I agreed we probably would have been in the finals together, and his best light of the night was a .617!!!

Oh well. Just goes to prove, you need 3 things to win. A good car, you have to know what you're doing, and Lady Luck. She(lady luck) was obviously on his side(big trophy)

The copper plugs really helped my ET. I was running the same numbers in a 35 mph head wind, that I normally run in good conditions, so I know the $10.00 worth of plugs gave me a few mph, and 2/10ths!

Thanks for reading. Hope to see some of you out there next week.

BTW, I didnt race any of you. I took out a 19 second Black Dodge Dually, a gold El Camino(idiot tried to fender race me in his 13 second car, but couldnt cut a light-moron), a 14 second Mustang, and a 17 second Yukon. The rounds were too easy. None of them could cut better than a .590 light, so I was catching them by 1000 ft mark.

See ya at the track!

Congads on the drawing numbers [Wink]

[patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Blackicelsc
¯
Member # 4015

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackicelsc  Ford pictures for Blackicelsc  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hate to tell you this, but just because a car can run the number every pass, the driver still needs to be on the ball. Our Hilborn injected car on alcohol has gone 8 rounds, without ever changing the dial-in one/100th! But if it was that easy, every A/T car out there would easily win. Not so!

I wish everyone would rent a car and bring it to the track running 16.50's. Just them assuming it would run the same number every time, is reason enough to smoke them all.

A Manual trans is fun, and keeps you busy, but it is very difficult to be competitive on the strip, unless you can consistently be "inconsistent"(tire spin, shift points, rev limiter, etc)

Uless you are Glan Phillips(67 green Mustang fatsback). His 12 second 4 speed car is very tought to beat. Not because the car is consistent, but because the driver is just damn good.

Thanks for the props YellowGT. Anyone who has ever taken a rent-a-car to the track with hopes to "walk" the competition, knows they are usually on their way home quite early.

You really have to know the car, how it reacts, and hope its up to the task at hand, to expect it to go rounds. Either that, or be one of those lame-ass sandbaggers who spend all night on the brakes at 1200 feet!

--------------------
94 black/black Mark VIII
97 LSC red/graphite Mark VIII
Vice President GGM8
Black Ice LSC

Posts: 63 | From: Santa Rosa, Ca. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend went out there one night a few years ago and won Sport Street in his 86 Camry. It was his first time ever drag racing. The ricers were pissed.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally, I would have said that I do not want to draw numbers and to just give you a free pass for some time in the future. I wouldn't want a trophy that I DIDN'T WIN. I just couldn't picture looking over at my trophies and seeing the one that I got from "picking a number [Roll Eyes] "

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com