Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Attaching 5 point harness to rolll bar? NHRA legal (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Attaching 5 point harness to rolll bar? NHRA legal
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello> I am going to purchase a simpson 5 point harness and was curious to know what is the best way to attach it to the roll bar rear cross brace??
I have seen people that roll it around the cross brace but I have not seen how it is actually attached> anyone know for sure what the NHRA standards are??
thanks for any help.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not sure what is legal but in camra90's car we drilled holes into the bar and bolts or studs through it and it secured it real nice.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have wrap around belts then you need a buckle for each strap so the straps can be threaded through and wrapped around the bar. This is for the individual type shoulder harness. For a Y harness you will need to weld a bracket to the crossbar and attach the Y belt to it.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replies guys [Big Grin]
I will have to order one that will have two shoulder belts with buckles> that way I can wrap it around and then buckle them in> thats probably the easiest way of installing it I think.
Thanks for the info> I will have to make sure and order the right part. Any idea when I wrap it around the cross bar if I can only wrap it once> then come back to the buckle> or do I have to wrap it multiple times?
[patriot]

[ March 15, 2004, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would sure appreciate some pics if anybodys got some. I need to do this also.

[ March 15, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once is enough.

I will shoot some pic's tonight and post them later.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is the only picture I have taken of mine
 -

The small "bar" that the belt is looped through was added to keep the belt from sliding in the event of an accident.
I was told to add that bar by tech in both Redding and Sac. It's an old hood prop rod that we bent to fit [Big Grin]

Brian

[ March 16, 2004, 06:51 AM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are floor mount belts legal for 10.00 and up for sac or sears

and are there any pros cons of the 2 different kinds

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

If you mean floor mounted shoulder belts they definitely are not legal because they are killers. They have to be mounted to the crossbar and the crossbar has a minimum diatance it can be below you shoulders. I don't remember the exact number but I think it is 4". I can check later if you'd like.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
If you mean floor mounted shoulder belts they definitely are not legal because they are killers. They have to be mounted to the crossbar and the crossbar has a minimum diatance it can be below you shoulders. I don't remember the exact number but I think it is 4". I can check later if you'd like.

i dont get why a floor mount would be any different than a bar mount

before u flame me on this, i have a 6 point roll bar with an NHRA approved height and construction seat belt bar across the back

if it is solidly mounted to the floor or to the bar, as long as it goes over the bar it will still have the same effect of holding u in ur seat, not crushing ur down

and yes i do know that without the roll bar, in a crash the belts would just compress your spine

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
 -

The small "bar" that the belt is looped through was added to keep the belt from sliding in the event of an accident.
I was told to add that bar by tech in both Redding and Sac. It's an old hood prop rod that we bent to fit [Big Grin]

Brian

which seat belts are these, and what lengths???

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
quote:

before u flame me on this, i have a 6 point roll bar with an NHRA approved height and construction seat belt bar across the back

if it is solidly mounted to the floor or to the bar, as long as it goes over the bar it will still have the same effect of holding u in ur seat, not crushing ur down

and yes i do know that without the roll bar, in a crash the belts would just compress your spine

Hmmm, OK I see what you are saying. I have never seen one mounted this way and am not sure why you would if the crossbar is right there and in the right place. From a mechanical standpoint what you described would do the same thing as if it were attached to the bar though. Most of the time this question is presented without the crossbar in place so that's why I answered with what I said.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Thanks for the pics John!
What kind of harness are you running? Is that a Y belt from Simpson?
You wouldnt happen to have the model number of that do you?
Thanks!

[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
Thanks for the pics John!
What kind of harness are you running? Is that a Y belt from Simpson?
You wouldnt happen to have the model number of that do you?
Thanks!

[patriot] [patriot]

Mine is a Schroth belt, individual and not a Y. They are used mostly in road racing but I liked the way they attached to the lap belt connections. I will be switching soon to a Simpson setup because getting the Schroth rewebbed is becoming problematic. The one I am looking at is #29110 Individual Wraparound, $189.95 Summit.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
quote:
quote:

Hmmm, OK I see what you are saying. I have never seen one mounted this way and am not sure why you would if the crossbar is right there and in the right place. From a mechanical standpoint what you described would do the same thing as if it were attached to the bar though. Most of the time this question is presented without the crossbar in place so that's why I answered with what I said.
the only reason i would do this is because i got the belts at 50% of from summit because of a typo online that i found, that kasted until i bought them [Big Grin]

so if all else fails i can send them back, but hey i bought driver and passenger belts for $100 for the pair

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
which seat belts are these, and what lengths???

RCI-9310CC

Brian

Edit: Sorry for the typo

[ March 16, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

are u sure its not a 9310cc

cc is for cam lock and 9310 is a blue 5 point that goes into a y

9210 is indiviadual should belts

yes i am a nitpic [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Not sure if this is going to help but here they are.
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
 -

Brian

Thats perfect! thanks Brian. I know you have the same frame connectors as i do, is that where its mounted? either way i see what i need to do. [patriot]
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
Thats perfect! thanks Brian. I know you have the same frame connectors as i do, is that where its mounted? either way i see what i need to do. [patriot]

It's not mounted to the frame connectors, it's just wrapped around the crossbar

The extra length of belt is just hanging there because I don't think the rules allow cutting it off
Since the rulebook states that no SFI approved parts can be modified, I'm sure safety equipment is the same

[ March 16, 2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:

It's not mounted to the frame connectors, it's just wrapped around the crossbar

The extra length of belt is just hanging there because I don't think the rules allow cutting it off
Since the rulebook states that no SFI approved parts can be modified, I'm sure safety equipment is the same

Ok, i got it now. I thought there was maybe a metal plate webbed to the end that got mounted somehow. thanks.
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

John> thanks for the pics! It looks like youre seat belts are the proper length without any extra wrapped around the roll bar or hanging down> did you cut the excess amound of seat belt> or did you buy them the exact length you needed?
Thanks!
Harold

--------------------

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
John> thanks for the pics! It looks like youre seat belts are the proper length without any extra wrapped around the roll bar or hanging down> did you cut the excess amound of seat belt> or did you buy them the exact length you needed?
Thanks!
Harold

Nah, I just cut the excess off. Never been called on it and doubt if they really care. The big no-no is to never put holes through the webbing.

[ March 17, 2004, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Right on man! Thanks for the reply [Big Grin]

--------------------

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

The belts will stretch in a collision. I believe 1% is the generally accepted amount. A longer belt will stretch more than a short belt so a shorter belt is better where possible.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com