Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » ET streets and radial front tires????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ET streets and radial front tires????
z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z ya  Ford pictures for z ya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know people mix them all the time but I keep hearing not to mix and match bias with radials.
Whats your guys take on this?

--------------------
03 Yukon 6" RCD/welds/MTR's
69 Camaro
72 Commando/500 caddy/39.5 Boggers
96 Dodge Cummins/2" Procomp/35's

Posts: 414 | From: stockton,ca | Registered: May 2002  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your car will be all over the place. It is not fun when your car is swaying side to side going 100 plus

By having skinnies, it will help you track better, and you will feel more comfortable [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have zero control issues with 165/86-15 H rated radials on a 15x4 convo pro up front with 26x10.5 ET Streets on a 15x8.5 out back at anywhere from 9-14 PSI without tubes.

Only 108 traps so far (and I've tried it with the N20 on the freeway), but it's pretty straight down the back-half. I've had about a 100 passes on ET Streets though so I know how to deal with the little 'sway' that you generally get up top. Don't fight it, just go straight.

Kind of like driving a boat.

A 240z is a better chassis design than a fox mustang anyways, I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you get much over 120 mph it might not be such a good idea though. Running tubes out back and a little more pressure would really help this out.

edit: but yeah, certainly it is safer not to mix/match radial and bias ply, *but* I believe that has more to do with braking/control issues than straight line acceleration. You can get away with it to 120 mph on the 1320 IMHO.

[ January 11, 2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Chris M.
Ignore me, all I do is argue online!
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
slicks and skinnies only trapping 108 [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2828 | From: West Bay, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard on vipers that mixing is not good. Afew guys have said there were no problems, but most said it was bad. A few nearly had wrecks with mixxing tires and said they had learned their lessons. I guess it comes down to how lucky you feel. Personally spending a few hundred for fronts to save my life is defintinely a no brainer for me.

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn this is bad news, i just picked up two extra rims with micky T sportsmans on them i was thinking of running them at the track with my stock radials in front im only running like 97mph but my 60ft is 2.4 ... if i can drop that ill be good for 13's stock motor [patriot]
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I run both ET STreets and American Racer dirt track tires w/ stock radials up front. NO PROBLEM. You get a small amount of sway if you drop the pressure low enough (like shade does [Wink] ) . You can listen to what people have heard, or to those that actually do it.

JL

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Chris M.
Member # 1708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris M.  Ford pictures for Chris M.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well lets see, i drove from san mateo to tracy averaging about 90mph. I had slicks on the back (at 10 psi, tubes, screws and they're not small 28x14.50) and t/a radials on the front (205/50/r14s) yeah i gots 14s woooooo. No problem at all, i've driven from san mateo to placerville and from san mateo to chico before with the same set up. No problems, no close calls, no difference from the drag radials.
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can do it bu tit's not the best feeling in the world.

Fastest I have been is 123mph with 17" radials up front and 15" ET Streets at 10psi in the rear and it CAN get a little disconcerting on the big end depending on the car and your suspension setup. I would think that a Mustang would be even worse due to the shorter wheelbase but it's been so long since i drove one that I have no clue.

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z ya  Ford pictures for z ya    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the replys, I will see if the DR's hook first before I spring for the ET streets. Only track time will tell!

--------------------
69 Camaro

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That little datsun is so light and it is going to be an e ride as it is I would just spring for the appropriate front tires.

Dont let cheapskates like us influence you when your life is on the line.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

Chris M.
Member # 1708

put some skate board wheels on the front
z ya
¯
Member # 1327

Some RAT BONES!!!!!!!! [Cool]

--------------------
69 Camaro

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com