Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Drag advice for our Lethal 750 Viper? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Drag advice for our Lethal 750 Viper?
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, guys! We're going to be bringing our Lethal 750 '01 Viper ACR up to Sacramento in the coming months, and I thought I'd ask you all for some advice in terms of the track itself.
Is one lane better than the next? Any specific advice you can give me?
I know we'll have a traction problem, since the big brakes we have on the car preclude us from running a rim smaller than 18". Thus, even drag radials are out of the question. We'll be running Michelin Pilot Sports, 335/30/18 in the back, most likely with lower pressure, maybe low 20s.
The issue is that now we're pushing about 780hp at the flywheel and a whopping 840ft/lb. torque. We'll most likely launch just off idle and half-throttle it until third gear.
Any help you guys can give will be appreciated!

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the track is pretty good in both lanes, we try to keep it nice and even for good racing. i hope you have all the proper safty requirements for a 11 or 10 second car. meaning a roll bar, sfi belts, jacket, and all the other stuff, becuase we will not let you run with out that stuff.

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt bother dropping tire pressure on radials. It has been proven on many times that that does nothing but hurt your performance and I dont think it is very safe.

With a car like that I would just go have some and enjoy drag racing.

I would drop it in a high gear and try to MPH the bitch. You will not get any traction so screw ET's

Have fun

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car comes with SFI/FIA-approved harnesses, and I have a MOMO fire suit and Simpson helmet. The car doesn't have a roll bar, per se, but it does have the factory roll-over hoop that goes from the frame and up and over behind the passengers' heads. It's concealed between the headliner and the roof.
There are guys running 9's and 10's all over the country with the factory roll-over hoop, and they're all approved. Do you think this will be a problem?

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At Sac. They usually don't care. There Tech is a joke!!

In a real track that cares about safety you would be kicked out when you get into the 13's if its a convertible.

If you bring you fire suit and safety equipment you are implying that you have a fast car and will confuse the tech guys at Sac when you don't have a car that matches your apparel.

I may sound like a worry wort but, I know that 700+ horse power is a whole hell of a lot of power to not have any safety equipment. Not only are you endangering yourself but the person in the other lane is at your mercy when you are not prepared.

That's why I don't like Sac. You never know who you are racing against.

Anyway I am off of my soap box, have fun!
Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

Bullitt3905
¯
Member # 905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt3905  Ford pictures for Bullitt3905    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey bill,

did you see your lethal 750 on tv last sunday? It was on TNN in the morning, Car and Driver was showing the super car shootout they had in their magazine a few months ago. I thought reading about that was sweet but the show was sweet, the lethal 750 was one of my favorite cars that was competing, hopefully you can try and take the title away from lingenfelter next year!

--------------------
2001 Mustang Bullitt #3905
SR springs, koni orange, steeda sts, magnaflows, 18" Bullitt wheels, grille delete, chin spoiler, 03 cf hood, JLT sri

Posts: 1067 | From: citrus heights, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me start off by saying that Sac is the best staffed and preped track around, (you can believe my because I'm there about 90% of the time it is open)

As for tips on driving the car, I'm sure that sense you are more familiar with your car then anyone here is, you will be the one most capable of getting it down the track safely. I run Michelin Pilot Sprots, (315's), as my street tires and have useed them at the track a couple of times. Even in my 300 RWHP car you can't actually go WOT until midway through 2nd gear. So expect some major feathering on your part.

One last thing, Sac's tech is not as lazy as it has been in the past. If you are honest with them however and show that you are making a genuine attempt to be legal they will more often then not let you run for that day, (or more), without making certain things manditory.

Hope to see you out there, Drew

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally think the right lane is better then then the left at least on TnTs. They run slicks on the right lane and street tires out of the left, sometimes you get lucky and they put you in the right lane. Carefull with tech you might get one or 2 passes before they boot you if your running 11s or better without the approved NHRA Cage and other saftey gear. Hell they made me unhook my bottle because my car runs 12s and I didnt have a DS Saftey loop on it. Let us know when you go I would love to see that car run.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you should let drew drive it. [Eek!]

jk

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't mind seeing that bad boy either!

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

quote:
Originally posted by Yellow94GT:
Let me start off by saying that Sac is the best staffed and preped track around

Do they even prep the track during grudge matches? Or do they just run a truck with tires on the back of to get dirt off the track? I have also personally seen people get away with murder at the tech line there. I hope they have changed because I have not been there in about a year and a half.

If you spend 90% of your time at Sac track then how can you fairly say that it is one of the best staffed and prepped tracks around?

Bakersfield is a nice track but you have to be NHRA legal or they wont let you run!
Palmdale sucks period!!!
Pomona sucks because it is never open.
Vegas is nice sometimes but it is a great facility and the staff is very nice.
Redding eats a Dick
Have not been to Sears since it has changed
Phoenix is the best by far but pretty damn far!! Great hooking track!

Have not been to anything up North of Redding.

--------------------
I like cars.

eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow67stang:
At Sac. They usually don't care. There Tech is a joke!!

In a real track that cares about safety you would be kicked out when you get into the 13's if its a convertible.

If you bring you fire suit and safety equipment you are implying that you have a fast car and will confuse the tech guys at Sac when you don't have a car that matches your apparel.

I may sound like a worry wort but, I know that 700+ horse power is a whole hell of a lot of power to not have any safety equipment. Not only are you endangering yourself but the person in the other lane is at your mercy when you are not prepared.

That's why I don't like Sac. You never know who you are racing against.

Anyway I am off of my soap box, have fun!
Eric

do you want a wahburger and some french cries with that?!

and bill. im gonna go ahead and say you sould be ok, me and dave jr. don't mind vipers all that much, but if germane or launie start bitching i can't help ya, they are the NHRA tech for our track. i might be able to talk germane into letting you run if you have issues, but launie (who probly won't be there) is another story, and lenoard is in idiot, no one likes him.

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep it off the wall!!! That's the only thing i'd be worried about. [patriot]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bill, for the love of god, dont let Drew drive it.This just might be the car he doesnt bring back LOL. Really though, its all for fun so id say bring it, and when they ask how fast it is at tech, just tell them you dont know...which is the truth anyways,right. Make sure you post when your coming and tell Vince to bring his car, id like to race him. BTW, Drew Yellow94gt is the shakedown master at sacramento raceway much the same as John Griggs would be on the road coarse at sears.
aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my first run at 11.7 they gave me flak at the booth about going to fast , slow down etc.. The next run was quicker and they said they would notify the guys working at the staging lanes so I didn't try again.
I won't go back till I get the roll bar and 5 points next spring. I'll be shooting for 10's. Bill . .did you ever see the the video of Doug Levin in the vette vs sir hiss in the viper. At the launch Doug goes airborn over the wall and I believe the cage is what saved his life.
With your power I really think you ought to get the bar put in.
I'd be willing to bet if the track people know your car is pushing that much power and is high profile . .they would be pretty strict.

Let us know on the viper forums when you will run.

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aslowdodge,

Do you know the URL to the video of the Vette vs. the Viper is?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That shit is crazy

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

eljefe, I'll send you a PM before the weekend we plan on going. That way, I'll find out who's staffing that weekend.
At the Car & Driver event, our Lethal 750 went 11.65@130.5. That was on a non-drag strip, on street tires, using GPS timing equipment. I definitely think we can better that at a prepped drag strip. Our goal is the 10s with the street tires.
I'd think that the reason a car would get airborne is that it's hooking up so well, the front wheels are coming off the ground. That creates a lot of surface area under the car for air to catch, and the car goes airborne. Our car won't have enough traction to lift the front. [Mad]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow67stang:
quote:
Let me start off by saying that Sac is the best staffed and preped track around

Do they even prep the track during grudge matches? Or do they just run a truck with tires on the back of to get dirt off the track? I have also personally seen people get away with murder at the tech line there. I hope they have changed because I have not been there in about a year and a half.

If you spend 90% of your time at Sac track then how can you fairly say that it is one of the best staffed and prepped tracks around?

Bakersfield is a nice track but you have to be NHRA legal or they wont let you run!
Palmdale sucks period!!!
Pomona sucks because it is never open.
Vegas is nice sometimes but it is a great facility and the staff is very nice.
Redding eats a Dick
Have not been to Sears since it has changed
Phoenix is the best by far but pretty damn far!! Great hooking track!

Have not been to anything up North of Redding.

Bakersfield - Never made a pass there, but have assisted in the pit crew for a Nastalgia dragster there a few times.

Palmdale - Too much altitude/bad track prep

Pomona - Never even been there, mostly due to the fact that it is never open

Vegas - Agian, way too high in elivation. I guess the track isn't too bad, but how can you really tell when your car is lacking so much power...lol

Redding - most of there facility is dirt for god sakes, talk about red neckish...lol

Sears - Also haven't been there sense the new track completion. But do I really need to waste my time and money to go there when I can just see everyone else post there slow times they got there?

Phoenix - Haven't been there yet. But seeing as this years District 7 ET Finals are there I guess I'll find out at the end of the season.

Spokane Raceway - Very laid back, close to know tech inspection at all. Must be due to the fact that it is an AHRA track. There down hill staging lanes are nice too [Wink]

Anyway, I don't know why you bothered to go to this extent. Didn't this start off as "local tracks"? I would hardly consider Phoenix or even any so cal track local. The fact of the matter is, people consistantly run there best times at Sacramento Raceway. You can't argue with the time slips.

I hope this answers all of your questions [patriot]

--------------------
AED

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:
eljefe, I'll send you a PM before the weekend we plan on going. That way, I'll find out who's staffing that weekend.
At the Car & Driver event, our Lethal 750 went 11.65@130.5. That was on a non-drag strip, on street tires, using GPS timing equipment. I definitely think we can better that at a prepped drag strip. Our goal is the 10s with the street tires.
I'd think that the reason a car would get airborne is that it's hooking up so well, the front wheels are coming off the ground. That creates a lot of surface area under the car for air to catch, and the car goes airborne. Our car won't have enough traction to lift the front. [Mad]

Bill you will be fine. I would expect to see some better MPH then what you got from the GPS runs.

--------------------
AED

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Oh, you said, "best track around." I guess that could mean anything.

If I can do these tracks in a weekend then there pretty much local.

I went on and on about every track because I have a very boring job and nothing to do except sit here and BS all day. Sorry

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

aslowdodge
¯
Member # 854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aslowdodge  Ford pictures for aslowdodge    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
aslowdodge,

Do you know the URL to the video of the Vette vs. the Viper is?

It was posted on the viper forum quite a while ago. I have it stored somewhere. Everytime I think of going to sacto i always replay that video in my head. It just reminds me to be safe as stuff can happen

--------------------
97 Viper GTS
Supercharged & a bit of juice
last dyno on 100 shot-770rwhp/908lb torque
tree stump pulling anyone?

Posts: 641 | From: pleasanton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
I personally think the right lane is better then then the left at least on TnTs. They run slicks on the right lane and street tires out of the left, sometimes you get lucky and they put you in the right lane. Carefull with tech you might get one or 2 passes before they boot you if your running 11s or better without the approved NHRA Cage and other saftey gear. Hell they made me unhook my bottle because my car runs 12s and I didnt have a DS Saftey loop on it. Let us know when you go I would love to see that car run.

I would agree with marc here the right lane is the best lane to run

as far as the tires you are runing
you will have alot of problems getting them to hook with the power you are makeing

I thought nitto made a 18'drag tire?

role cage well like drew said if you up front show them what you have im sure they will let you run with the factory cage you have in it

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/APEX Motorsports:

I'll race any Viper on Street tires [Wink] [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Let me start off by saying that Sac is the best staffed and preped track around, (you can believe my because I'm there about 90% of the time it is open)

As for tips on driving the car, I'm sure that sense you are more familiar with your car then anyone here is, you will be the one most capable of getting it down the track safely. I run Michelin Pilot Sprots, (315's), as my street tires and have useed them at the track a couple of times. Even in my 300 RWHP car you can't actually go WOT until midway through 2nd gear. So expect some major feathering on your part.

One last thing, Sac's tech is not as lazy as it has been in the past. If you are honest with them however and show that you are making a genuine attempt to be legal they will more often then not let you run for that day, (or more), without making certain things manditory.

Hope to see you out there, Drew

Did you have to do anything besides rims to make those 315's fit? What rims do you have out back? Thannks.

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com