Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Sac And TheBrain (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sac And TheBrain
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so then hi-tech are not custom either??? [Confused]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so if the intake and exuast lobe acc. rates are the same then the cam can not be a custom ground????

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[stirring the pot] I think a custom cam is something that they talk about in the former 'windsor' or current 5.0/5.8 tech forum on the corral. Usually the name "curtis" is thrown about a whole lot and then some guys 165cc AFR 119 mph full weight GT from texas gets mentioned. 30 mpg and 119 mph traps. You can too! [/stirring the pot]

j/k guys [Razz]

I think I might go custom cam too, but only after I got some heads like jmmclesk and that cool piston notching tool. Probably time for a nice big Holley/Victor intake then too [Big Grin]
given my rate of mods, expect to see her in '04, lol.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually AFM does make true "custom" cams. They're pretty sucessful in the NMRA with their motors & cams. They did the cams for a few of the top running trophy stock cars a year or two ago. I haven't kept up since. I think to compare AFM with FTI is rather un fair. AFM races in the NMRA year after year for years upon years and has many top finishing cars in many different classes. Last time I checked, FTI was racing in a _stock cam_ class. Of course, if I was posting online 24-7 try to sell my stuff, I probably wouldn't have much time to race either [Razz] Just putting things in perspective here. The internet can skew how reality is percieved.
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
so if the intake and exuast lobe acc. rates are the same then the cam can not be a custom ground????

Na, just bitchin' about Rick Anderson....he pissed me off when I called for a buddy who needed the valve-events so I could degree his cam in properly. Rick told me that all their cams have the same intake/exhaust ramp-rates & therefore can be degreed using the 'center line' method...had the nerve to tell me it's the most accurate way to degree a cam....that method only works on cams with = intake/exhaust ramp-rates. The current customs usually don't open/close at the same rate & therefore can not be degreed this way. The .050 method works on ALL cams...as long as you know the specs! Took a bit to beat it out of him.

Sorry, just venting...

The Hi-techs are custom, but carry a part # from Comp I think???....anyway, I guess technically they become an off-the-shelf cam.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most people think that custom cams are made from lobes that they magically make up for you. When in fact they use individual lobes from different cam companies and use them. They look up all the #'s through a master lobe list and match lift points etc and durations. They'll pick the LSA, Intake Centerline (ICL), and the two lobes to make up the cam. Ed Curtis, Buddy Rawls, and Brian seem to be the leaders in the mustang world. Brian's website is misleading. He cuts you what you want. All have different theories and all make power. I happen to like Brian but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use any of the others. Brian likes using the Comp Cam xe lobes. The hard part is that they'll mix and match lobes from chevy's and ford and you have to convert durations etc because the different base circle sizes. If you really knew what you were doing you could pick your own cam from comp cams themselves. I'm not that good, as Brian, Ed, Buddy are all mechanical engineers with lots of experience and R&D behind their methods. Anderson cams could be custom. But the word custom doesn't just mean it's a good cam. I've heard of guys call cams custom but don't take into account the info needed to optimize. These guys seem to have it locked down though. It's really fun just to get these guys on the phone and just listen to the different theories etc. They all have impressive credentials. Ed has some very serious performers out there and Brian has a few heavy hittin strokers. A lot of people seem to doubt the performers of some of these cars but being that they're starting to pop up locally, people will start to believe they're for real. It's not hard to see that a car making 355/355 at 3100 lbs can run 11.6's at 118 MPH with good traction. Brian just did a 347 stroker that made 408 RWHP (5800 RPM)/393 RWTQ (5000 RPM). It's still untuned and will probably make 415 possibly 420. It's in a light car so it's gonna boogie. Mike's going one notch above in cam. I say just talk to em all and see what they say. They can account for piston to valve clearance issues. They have access to an insane amount of lobes.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson, Ed races in a class with the stock cam so he doesn't have a conflict of interest with the racers that have his cam's. Obviously if he was racing against them, he'd sell them second rate stuff. Anderson does have strong running cars in the NMRA.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just wanted to say that no one here is bagging on anyone elses setup, but if your like me you want your car to run as hard as it can, and still be able to be taken to work, cruises, etc.

Me, Aaron, Nate and others are just trying to state that INOP your numbers could be increased if a cam was made to fit your needs. Valve events, header size etc. I couldnt believe when brian asked me what size header I was running when he was cutting my first cam. Everything is accounted for, power is maximized, and still extremely steetable. With My old cam in I drove to work every day, cruises, races, everywhere!

Dont take offense, take it as advice!! I too never would have believed the difference. After all the money I have put in my car what was the extra 150 gonna do, stop me from going out to dinner a few times?!

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

GR8WHITE
¯
Member # 403

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GR8WHITE  Ford pictures for GR8WHITE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Brian, Nice time bro!

When you heading back up to SAC? You owe me a rematch [Wink] ...

Dan

[ October 11, 2002, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: GR8WHITE ]

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GR8WHITE:
Brian, Nice time bro!

When you heading back up to SAC? You owe me a rematch [Wink] ...

Dan

Dan, You see in your signature where you posted a 10.83? Do you see in mine where I ran an 11.64? Why would I race you when you have me covered by 8 tenths ?!?!?! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

I am not quite ready for a rematch quite yet
Let's just leave it where we left off...... with me winning !! [Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin]

Later
Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
GR8WHITE
¯
Member # 403

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GR8WHITE  Ford pictures for GR8WHITE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Dan, You see in your signature where you posted a 10.83? Do you see in mine where I ran an 11.64? Why would I race you when you have me covered by 8 tenths ?!?!?!

I am not quite ready for a rematch quite yet
Let's just leave it where we left off...... with me winning !!

Later
Brian

Why do you think I want a rematch now. I want you to play catch up for a change [Razz] . We'll go N/A, or I'll jet down even.

It's cool bro, we'll hook up again, you are still the best race I ever had, next time you can look at my tail lights though [Wink] ...

Dan

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com