Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Racing a 5.0 at sears point, please comment... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Racing a 5.0 at sears point, please comment...
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fd3s.  Ford pictures for Fd3s.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a race tomorrow at sears point. I have 3 basic questions. First, what is the earliest time I can get there and do a run? they say that it opens at 5, but last time I got there at 5 pm and I was like car # 300, lol. So what time do they really start.

2nd....I'm racing a guy with a 5.0. I know what they were from the factory and what they can be modded are two different things, what do you guys estimate this guys time will be, assuming a good driver? Here are his mods.

mac shorty equal lenght headers
msd ignition
9mm wires
K & N
msd cap and rotar
3.73 fms gears
x-pipe
2 chamber flows
high flow cats
removed pre cats
bfg drag radials

3rd and finally is here any thing special I can do to make sure that we are racing each other?I have been to sears a 2 times and it seems the luck of the draw who you go against.

Thanks!

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you line up right in front or behind him, just ask the guy in front of the line prior to getting there.
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fd3s.  Ford pictures for Fd3s.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ask who? I'm a bit confused, sorry. We should be in opposite lanes, right?
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the lines are way too long, I agree with the above, your only chance to be 'near' your bud other than blind luck is to be in front of or behind him. They move adjacent lanes unpredictably.

As to the 5.0, just like any 5.0, it could run 15's, it could run 10's [Big Grin]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

wow..

A 5.0 with these mods can run 10's? Crazy stuff dude.

mac shorty equal lenght headers
msd ignition
9mm wires
K & N
msd cap and rotar
3.73 fms gears
x-pipe
2 chamber flows
high flow cats
removed pre cats
bfg drag radials

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think shade-tree means is it all matters on the driver,

anyways his car sounds like a mid 13 to low 13 second car if he can drive it.
[patriot]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the guy isn't lying to you about his mods, it'll run mid to low 14's at Sears Point. If he lived closer to Sacramento Raceway, it would be a solid 13 second car, but something corrupts the brains and skills of 5.O drivers that live around Sonoma [Wink]
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I disagree with your comment on Sears Point. Junior in the black 99 cobra has run at both Sears and Sac and his fastest time and 60 foot on street tires are at Sears Point. I think both are good tracks, you just have to learn how to drive at each.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just pointing out that mod for mod, Sears Point racers seam to run slower than Sac Raceway racers. You can go to Sac raceway and never see a 15 second 'stang.... but its impossible to ever go to Sears Point and not see a 'stang have problems getting out of the 15's. Just my observation [patriot]
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Displacement_Replacement:
wow..

A 5.0 with these mods can run 10's? Crazy stuff dude.

and nobody has ever lied to you about their mods then I see? hmmm [Big Grin]
my point remains, could run 10's, shit could run 19's.
N20 is the easiest thing ever to hide and $20 says you wouldn't recognize a built sportsman B-50 block, GT-40 iron heads, 10.5:1 compression, a N20 cam, forged internals and a 250 shot that's hidden all under a nice stock looking HO intake [Wink]

if it matters, my best 60' time was at Sears Point as well, but that was not for a wed. night thing, it was an actual weekend event.

1.67 launching at ~3500 rpms on ET Streets. Never been lower than 1.72 at Sacramento.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

It is easy to hide nos. I was running 12.1 through the cats in my stang and they tecked the hell out of it after my run and I just said it was very nicely ported.
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oops I see what you mean shade sorry about that.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

I HOPE he has NOS, he said he will not. I'm not running any either. If He runs NOS , it will make it more interesting.

David

[ August 13, 2002, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Displacement_Replacement ]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

you put up some 13's last time right? why would he need N20 again? [Razz]

--------------------

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

That was my first time. I'm still learning when to shift. There is a guy with a 91 LX 5.0 that used nitrous to get his best run it was 13.6.

I'm not ripping on the car, but with a shot he may get into the 13's. Everyone I am talking to says 14's at best.

Well see.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

ah well. and I know of guys running 5.0s in the 12's on the stock longblock (including heads, cam, etc) with no power adder.

but seriously, if you're running 13.6 @ 104 now, how much quicker do you expect to be on street tires? no flames intended, just curious.

--------------------

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

My time was 13.64 @ 104.87 on street tires.

I only had two runs that night, first time my boost messed up bad and I could not get above 3000 rpm so I don't count that run. The next and final run I did the 13.64.

Take this for what its worth, but the #'s I did are just about stock levels with a good driver. I know we are talking about MY car here, but I will also tell you that others with my car and similar mods are running 12's easily. some run high 11's with NITTO's on that setup, but thats not the norm. Most are running low to mid 12's.

I will find out for myself, but if I can get a 2.0 or less 60' according to the others I will be in the 12's. I ran a 2.22 60 when I did the 13.64.

I have not been to the track enough to concentrate either. Did you run your best time the first run you ever did? You guys should know I respect mustang drivers alot, you guys go to the track more than anyone, so I'm not flaming any of you.

My other problem is Wheel hop. I know that the first 60' is key to the 60, especially in my car being a twin turbo. I don't know how to launch my car without wheel hop, unless I feather the clutch. I am looking into some toe links and trailing arms that greatly reduce it. So those are the issues I am dealing with. If I get serious wheel hop, my PPF will break (power plant frame).

Sort of off topic, but I never respected drag racing till I did it. I still don't know what I launched at when I got that 13.64, its hard to hold the RPMs without moving, watch the light, keep an eye on my gauges and all the distractions.

The other issue I have? I don't know what RPM I am shifting at. I need to shift at 7200, if I goto 8100 I waste engergy, if I shift at 6000 I miss my max HP range. The only thing I know , one time I redlined because my speakers beeped loud.

In the end I have alot of time I will shave off that. If its a cool day tomorrow I expect a decent time. If its hot, well....u know.

David

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey joel..hope to see you tomorrow at the track... say whats up..
jersey

--------------------
=(

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds to me like you need a shift light. Dont you also have to feather the gas pedal to build boost before you launch??? [Confused]

If I were you I would talk to one of your buddys with the same car and see what there techniques are.

This is an RX-7 right??? [Confused]

Good luck at the track btw [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
Sounds to me like you need a shift light. Dont you also have to feather the gas pedal to build boost before you launch??? [Confused]

If I were you I would talk to one of your buddys with the same car and see what there techniques are.

This is an RX-7 right??? [Confused]

Good luck at the track btw [patriot]

LOL that is funny as hell. RX-7's at the track? RX-7 guys prefer to sit in the lounge on the rx7 message board (you will notice the lounge has 15 times the threads as in the performance lounge) an bitch about how cocky Supra TT owners are while doing the same thing themselves.

I like being around all cars, RX7's are very odd car, its not quite accepted by domestics or imports, oh well, lol.

Anyway...They say to launch at 3000 RPM, which is what I have been practicing on the street. But everybody's car is modded different. some launch at 2K, 3K, etc. Some feather the clutch others drop it. When I drop mine I get wheel hop from hell..

I think I'm gonna really concentrate on watching my RPM's this time. I am very glad I have the speaker that beeps when I redline for safety reasons, but I will try to shift at 7200 and see what happens.

I prefer to race in the Street class, so thats why I post here occasionaly.

David

O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G. Cobra  Ford pictures for O.G. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
back in the day when i was taking my full weight 91GT to sears all the time i was getting 14.2's at 98mph consistently with similar mods to the car you're going to race. the differences-he has 3.73, i had 3.55's. he has an x-pipe, i had stock h-pipe, he has drag radials, i had regular street radials. so if he's good i could see him being a mid 13 (similar to what you ran last time).

getting a 2.0 60ft time on street tires isn't as easy as it sounds...2.22 actually isn't that bad for your first time out.

some tips: write down your race numbers. keep track of what rpm you launch at, what rpm you shift at and what rpm you cross the finsih line at. not only will this help you determine what the optimum rpms are, but it will help you focus and remember that you have to do this while racing. feathering the clutch is a must on street tires.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

So who won?
Fd3s.
¯
Member # 1428

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
So who won?

It was pretty bad to be honest. It was my 2nd worst run of the evening, I still won by 1.3 seconds off the 1/4 and 15 MPH faster in the trap speed.

It was fun. I have a modded WS6 that I am racing next month at sears point. That was a good warm up. I need to get some drag radials, somethings wrong when I'm running 13.9 @ 105 with a 2.58 60 '.

My best run of the night was 13.77 with a 2.24 60, my fuel cut when I over boosted (it was at 9:30 pm and very cold), I would have been around 13.5.

I can see 12's pretty easy, once I get better tires and start upping the boost on my first turbo.

David

JOSH
¯
Member # 979

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOSH  Ford pictures for JOSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you ran the 13.9 there was a head wind from hell, I seen a new SS run a 15.5 [Eek!]

--------------------
65 fastback mustang
410w 11:1 c-4 592fwhp 560fwtq

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by JOSH:
there was a head wind from hell, I seen a new SS run a 15.5 [Eek!]

That would be all DRIVER ERROR. Nearly 2 seconds...c'mon.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com