Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Roll Bar for 98 Cobra Convertable

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Roll Bar for 98 Cobra Convertable
cobra500
Member # 1349

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for cobra500  Ford pictures for cobra500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am told I have to have a NHRA approved roll bar if I run my car at the drags and turn better than 14 seconds ET. Anyone out there faced this problem before?
Where can I get a Roll Bar with side bars which I can install for racing and remove the braces/side bars for the Road?
Has anyone put an approved roll bar in a convertable? Doesn't someone make such a bar that looks like one of these light bars?
The idea would be not to inhibit the back seat for passengers and still be able to put the top down.
Wolf Racecraft has been mentioned but they don't have a stock bar for 98 convertables so its a custom bar with them. Chassisworks in Sacramento looks good anyone know anything about them?

Posts: 8 | From: Danville, Calif | Registered: May 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want something nice you will have to drop your car off somewhere and have a custom one fit to your specific car.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what most people try to do is run as long as possible without an actual cage/bar setup. Go to the track a few times, Sac is pretty lenient, esp. if you run with your top up and wear a helmet. Turn some high 13's and they will probably look the other way.

Run 11's or 12's however, and I'm sure they will kick you out.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

blackcobra98
¯
Member # 1078

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for blackcobra98  Ford pictures for blackcobra98    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have no idea myself, but this concerns me as well, since I will be breaking 14s somewhere in the near future in my '98 'vert Cobra. Can you do me a favor and let me know where you got your bar installed if you get one, and what your thoughts/recommendations are?

Thanks,

Brad

--------------------
1998 Cobra #2892/3480-**SOLD 7/2/03**
2004 Lightning #1632/3781-**SOLD 8/06**

Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 4 point bar in my 94 V6 Vert. The reason that I put it in is because a friend crashed his car on the freeway with me in it and it almost rolled. It scared the shit out of me and I went a little overboard on the safety thing.

I bought mine through Maximum Motorsports. It is made by Autopower. I have a few complaints about Autopower, but overall I thihnk that it was worth it.

I did the install myself. It took me about two days, but I could probably do it in a day if I wanted to do it again. It is a bolt in bar, so if I ever sell the car and the new owner does not want it, it can be removed in a few hours.

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had run as quick as 12.67 at Sac in my 'vert without so much as a peep from anyone at the track. But I had a bar installed anyway just to be on the safe side (Not to mention that it just looks cool [Big Grin] )
There are a number of places in the bay area to have a custom rollbar made. Griggs will gladly do it for $$$$$$
What you should probably do is go to your local speedshop and ask them if they know of anyone in your area. That's how I found a chassis builder in my area to do my bar.

Good luck
Brian

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Give "Johnny Franklins" a call in Santa Rosa. I hear they do a pretty nice custom job for a very reasonable price.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

cobra500
Member # 1349

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for cobra500  Ford pictures for cobra500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have ordered a 6 point roll bar from Auto Weld in Danville, Pa. They have a 98 cobra convert with roll bar shown on their web page(www.autoweldchassis.com) and have a kit especially for the 98 cobra convert.
Reasonably priced but shipping is high to Ca.

Posts: 8 | From: Danville, Calif | Registered: May 2002  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra 500> would you happen to know where that pic is> I would like to see it?
Thanks!

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
Cobra 500> would you happen to know where that pic is> I would like to see it?
Thanks!

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com