Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Need Advice: Launching Techniques...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Advice: Launching Techniques...
LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for LaserStang  Ford pictures for LaserStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Went to Sac Raceway on 5/4 and dragged for the 1st time ever! Now I'm addicted! [Wink] My crew and I are going back on the 18th, we'd love to meet up with ya'll there! [Big Grin]

One question I have though is, what are some good launching & driving techniques? I was either bogging off the line, or I was spinning my tires WAAAYY too much... I'm running street tires and my mods are below. Also, should I powershift, or is speed shifting sufficient? I usually get a small chirp when I shift from 1st to 2nd... I KNOW that if I can get my launches down, I'll start getting some better ET's...

Thanks!
~Brian

--------------------
Laser Red 2000 Mustang GT
http://www.montereymustangs.com

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am told the best launching technique on street tires (non drag radials, slicks, or cheaters)
is to launch around 2000-2500 (depending on conditions) and basically launch in a clutch roasting-pedal-fest until you hook up and can roll into the throttle.

If you're getting a 2.0 60' or so , you're doing it right. (I'm one of those people that suck on street tires)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:

If you're getting a 2.0 60' or so , you're doing it right. (I'm one of those people that suck on street tires)

I was getting a 1.8x on Kumho Shitballs for tires by slipping the clutch.
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaserStang  Ford pictures for LaserStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I know I can do better - I kept bogging... I tried different RPMs from 2500-3500, and as I would let out the clutch, my RPMs would drop way down. It almost seems like I need to rev it more as I let out the clutch?

My best 60' was a 2.235... Not that great, but noto too bad I suppose. I guess I should just go find somewhere to practice and try different techniques, eh? [Big Grin]

And then my OTHER problem is reaction time! Oh crap!! Hahaha! [Eek!]

~Brian

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my goodyears I used two different launching methods. The first one is to launch at 2300 or so and slip the clutch. The other is to launch at 1000 almost dump the clutch and stomp on the gas. Both ways would net me in the 2.1s consistantly. If I speed shift I take the car to redline and if I powershift I take it to 5500. I get quit a bit of second gear spin and would also spin 3rd on street tires. Good luck and have fun.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaserStang  Ford pictures for LaserStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bunchmyfunky:
If I speed shift I take the car to redline and if I powershift I take it to 5500. I get quit a bit of second gear spin and would also spin 3rd on street tires. Good luck and have fun.

Yeah, I was speed shifting at redline too... That's really all I know how to do. Did you notice a difference in your E.T. when you would powershift vs. speedshift??

Thanks,
~Brian

--------------------

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My best ET came from power shifting.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you really want to get into drag racing, you'll need a set of drag racing tires ASAP! It'll make the hobby ten times more fun. I have made maybe two passes in my life on my regular street radials [Eek!] If you stick with street tires you'll be one of those thats always complaining day in and day out about traction in the pits. So what times did you run anyways? [patriot]
LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Welp, I guess I'll need to practice that then... [Wink] Any tips? [Big Grin] (Sorry, like I said - no experience in the ways of drag-racing..) [Wink]

Thanks,
~Brian

--------------------

LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
If you really want to get into drag racing, you'll need a set of drag racing tires ASAP! It'll make the hobby ten times more fun. I have made maybe two passes in my life on my regular street radials [Eek!] If you stick with street tires you'll be one of those thats always complaining day in and day out about traction in the pits. So what times did you run anyways? [patriot]

Yeah, I certainly didn't have shit for traction - that's for sure! [Wink] I just don't have the $$ right now for new tires and wheels... (How much are they, anyway?)

Before you laugh, keep in mind I've NEVER done this before! [Wink] My times were:
15.085 @ 97.847 - 2.484 60'
14.243 @ 99.685 - 2.235 60'
14.411 @ 98.950 - 2.298 60'
14.561 @ 99.303 - 2.462 60'

~Brian

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wheels are cheap, what ever V6 wheels go for these days and tires range from about $100 each for McCreary's to about $150 each for ET streets or true slicks.

Looking at your 60 fts, it looks like you're trying to leave the line like a bat out of hell.... on radials. Excercise some control with the gas pedal an try to find the middle ground between spin and bog. I'm willing to bet that your best 60 fts came from bogging and not spinning. Something to keep in mind.
You have as much as 0.2 seconds to gain from your launch and another 0.2 seconds to gain from driving.... with out doing a single mod to the car!

LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

Oh that would be SWEET! I wouldn't mind running a 13.8!! [Big Grin]

And you're right, my two best 60's were bogging, and the other two I was burning out like mad... Hmm, good point!

And now for the age-old quandry: "To powershift, or not to powershift, that is the question..."

~Brian

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my $0.01 would be to save the tranny for another day if you're going to be powershifting with regular street tires. Most of your benefit is going up in smoke. The key shifts to hit are 1-2 and 2-3.
I assume you seriously bark 2-3 with regular radials. I imagine it's hurting rather then helping. try regular old speed-shifting, where you actually lift off the gas.

step up to a slick and pretend your right foot is a brick [Wink]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

sfGi8nt
¯
Member # 1068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfGi8nt  Ford pictures for sfGi8nt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After my new times today, Im gonna be *promoting* BFG Comp TA Drag Radials for a while [Smile]
Went from an impossible to break 2.2 60' at Sears Point to a 1.9 60' and a new E.T. also [Big Grin]

--------------------
Silver 97 M6 Z28
Hurst Shifter-Flowmaster-3.42's-Cutout-!CAGS-K&N FIPK-TB Airfoil-TB Bypass-160 Stat-Manual Fan Switch-
271rwhp & 304rwtq
13.64 @ 102.26 w/ 2.09 60'
Black & Orange 97 A4 Z28
FOR SALE!!!!

LaserStang
¯
Member # 353

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
I assume you seriously bark 2-3 with regular radials.

Actually, not really. I chirp them, at best. I feel what you're saying though - when powershifting, the tranny makes a nice loud dull "CLUNK"... [Wink] I think I'll just stick with what I know - speed shifting, lol!

How much do those BFG Drag Radials run usually? And how do they compare to Nittos??

Thanks,
~Brian

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com