Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » What do you think my new combo would do?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you think my new combo would do?
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well here is the plan sell the afr 165 heads and x cam and get the 185's, and the comp cam xe282hr cam, I will keep teh holley intake on.

Is this worth the money and how big of a difference do you guys think it is worth?

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

DeleteThisAccount
¯
Member # 94

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeleteThisAccount  Ford pictures for DeleteThisAccount    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you still going to put a shot on it? If you are, i'd say swap.

If not, leave it, spend the money elsewhere on the car (forged shortblock, built rear, etc.)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The increase in head flow will certainly give you the 'potential' to make more power. You'll certainly lose some throttle response down low with the larger ports of the 185's, but pick up power up top. Are you going to mill the heads as well?

You're going to ditch the solid motor mounts and go with some 'vert mounts this time right?

-Sawson

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't know the AFR heads required such a large exhaust lobe. Wouldn't a single pattern cam make more power?

Just a thought, that's 230/240 @ 0.05 right? Pretty hefty exhaust, IMHO.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What compression is that motor Camara?

You are going to want some compression or it is not going to be as good of a runner on motor as your last combo.

ON the bottle will be a totally different story which is where the 230/240@50 is a good idea.

Single pattern cams are 60s technology and I think every motor will benefit from a split pattern cam.

All of this is in my, non running car ass OPINION

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought as long as you had a 80% exhaust to intake ratio, that single pattern was the way to go. Check the flow of the AFR, big exhaust.

E7TE or GT-40 type heads benefit due to their restrictive exhaust

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just my opinion Shade.

Im not really into values percents and the only numbers Im interested in are ET.

It just seems to me that 99% of the cars running split duration cams have a stronger ET than the same car with the same setup with the cam being the only difference.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is about an 11.1 motor. I cant make my mind up on the swap because I dont want to bite myself in the ass and make less power. If it is not worth it Il just bottle it and gain the power from there! What do you think?

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ive seen 455 at the crank with 185s. and 10 to one.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

HAWAII5OOOH
¯
Member # 666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HAWAII5OOOH  Ford pictures for HAWAII5OOOH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heres my opinion... i go to UTI and we do alot of comparisons on the shop i work at... i would keep the 165's if you go larger than the ones you have now youll notice a loss of torque at the bottom of your powerband unless your compression is at least 11.5 /1 or so. if you do decide on the 185's i would recommend an upgrade of your fuel system as well. as for the cam i dont know the difference if you could give some specs i might be able to be more help. if you have the money .... (i know i dont) i would go w/ the 185's, larger fuel system, and supercharge it. you would notice amazing gains with that combination. or there is the easy way out (that i did) and bottle it. its importand to run an uneven cam w/ either supercharger or nitrous though ..... hope it helps man. sounds like a monster in the making.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Camara 347 with 10.5 to one comp cam and box stock AFRs laid down 486hp at 6200 with a Victor Jr carb intake 750 and 1 3/4 headers.

There is no reason why a decently built bottom end with those heads and a good tune on an EFI car with the appropriate intake cant come VERY close to that.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

12/8/77-5/17/03

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com