Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Best year power stroke diesel? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best year power stroke diesel?
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
head studs usually require lifting the cab.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just gave mine away to a buddy. I'd say it was the best combo of super duties. Mine was an early 99 so it didn't have the weak powder cast rods, meaning making big power is an option without opening the bottom end. I had basic Bolton's and chip and saved my cat for when smog came around. Changed to a fully built bts transmission and a tranny cooler from a 6.0 I swapped in 06 axles....so bigger brakes and coil front suspension. Cheap and easy swap. That's probably the most reliable and best bang for the buck super duty. Only weak points are the oil pump, which can be a cheap upgrade to a later model 7.3 pump or expensive aftermarket one if you want to go big on injectors.
Damn now I got sellers remorse. [Roll Eyes]
If was on a budget...I'd get a decent 6.0 and just do headstuds and upgraded egr cooler. These make great power and still get good mileage without the dpf bullshit and $40k+ pricetag
Or a 05-6 dodge with the 6 speed

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
03 7.3!

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Been doing a bunch of research. What's everyone's opinion on power stroke diesels. Sounds like the 7.3 or bullet proof 6.0 are best for reliability.

End up finding anything yet?
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I picked up a early 99 7.3 f350 extended cab with 170k miles. Using for my work truck/tow hauler. The original owner was my uncle, he beat it to shit and left it for dead. It needed a front end so I replaced with with a 2005 sport bumper and grill. I just haven't gotten to paint it yet.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com