Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Best year power stroke diesel? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best year power stroke diesel?
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been doing a bunch of research. What's everyone's opinion on power stroke diesels. Sounds like the 7.3 or bullet proof 6.0 are best for reliability.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im biased but 6.7 FTMFW

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a Duramax, I have put 253k on my 13LML and its been a solid truck. But I am not one brand biased. If I was dead set on going ford it would be a 2016+ 6.7, to me a diesel without an exhaust brake is pointless if you are towing.

[ 2016-08-22, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Camara90 ]

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
im biased but 6.7 FTMFW

Any reason in particular? I'd like to stay away from smog if possible so it would be 07 and older.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good start of a thread. Equally interested in these replies.

OP, what have you favored, if you don't mind me asking?

Been in the market and curious as well.

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
Good start of a thread. Equally interested in these replies.

OP, what have you favored, if you don't mind me asking?

Been in the market and curious as well.

I'm either looking at a 7.3 or 6.0 that's bullet proofed. From what I've read the 7.3 go forever and the motor keeps going and going. Plus they're pre smog years.

The bullet proof 6.0 are ridiculous but it costs a grip to billet proof them.

[ 2016-08-22, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on what you want? Do you want a raw , super reliable , rough riding 15yr old truck that will last forever get the 7.3. Plan on a tranny if it's already gone 250k without one.

If you get a 6.0 get an 05 and newer as they went to a coil setup and got rid of the leafs in the front It's much better ride and turning radius. The 6.0 need head studs / efr delete.

Skip the 6.4 , the best ford motor by far is the 6.7 after 2011 the first year motor has exhaust valve issues.

The duramax is also great wih the Alison combo and ifs front end. If I was buying used I'd be hard pressed to skip over the duramax.

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i own two trucks one 93 f250 with the 7.3 idi and the other is a 88 ex fire rescue ambulance also powered by the 7.3 idi. the power stroke trucks came out in 94 i believe. I personally am in favor of the idi 7.3 mainly cuz its pretty much a full mechanical motor the only thing electronic is the fipl sensor that controls the shift points on the e40d auto trans. The 7.3 is considered to be the best motor ever put in a ford truck and its also known as the "million mile motor" year 2000 and newer diesel needs smog. I would stay the hell away from the 6.0 these things are just one problem after the next. find anything 7.3 powered that has low miles and you will be a happy man. I'm a freak for the 97 or earlier body style but these trucks demand strong money when in good condition.
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
99/02 f250 7.3 from the research i did is a good truck for reliability/bang for buck. The front ends tend to be a hit and miss as some of them tend to have problems. Look into that. Duramaxes are expensive from what i hear on parts as opposed to the 7.3 As far as the 6.0 as long as it has been bullet proofed i hear is a decent ride. Another really good affordable diesel is a 1999 gen 2 cummins 12valve.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
im biased but 6.7 FTMFW

Any reason in particular? I'd like to stay away from smog if possible so it would be 07 and older.
In California it has to be 1997 and older to be smog exempt
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.10psi:
99/02 f250 7.3 from the research i did is a good truck for reliability/bang for buck. The front ends tend to be a hit and miss as some of them tend to have problems. Look into that. Duramaxes are expensive from what i hear on parts as opposed to the 7.3 As far as the 6.0 as long as it has been bullet proofed i hear is a decent ride. Another really good affordable diesel is a 1999 gen 2 cummins 12valve.

12 valve(2nd gen) is from 1994-1997
But yea can't go wrong with a 12valve or a 5.9 common rail
I own both and are great trucks 12v has 250k miles and common rail has 112k miles

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
Originally posted by flores24v:
quote:
quote:
im biased but 6.7 FTMFW

Oh dang. I thought I read 2007 and older. Must have been for another state.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm running a stock 04 duramax with 200k, love the truck and haven't had too many problems. Doesn't have as much power as I thought it would, but it's all stock. The Allison trans is great, for towing. I can pull 9k up donner summit at 55 with no problem.

picked it up a few years ago for 18k  -

[ 2016-08-23, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Been doing a bunch of research. What's everyone's opinion on power stroke diesels. Sounds like the 7.3 or bullet proof 6.0 are best for reliability.

[ 2016-08-26, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: 9cobra7 ]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sic70stang:
im biased but 6.7 FTMFW

In California it has to be 1997 and older to be smog exempt [/QUOTE

[ 2016-08-26, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: 9cobra7 ]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:
quote:
quote:
im biased but 6.7 FTMFW

All I know is I have a factory NON CAT 2001 7.3. Pop the hood and right there on the sticker, no smog for me! That's the reason I bought it.
That's called a Non California truck- those are exceptions
Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I own both and are great trucks 12v has 250k miles and common rail has 112k miles

Actually were both wrong. 94/98 had 12v cummins.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

[SHO]TIME
¯
Member # 8962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for [SHO]TIME  Ford pictures for [SHO]TIME    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes diesels can be expensive to maintain thats why i would point you in the direction of the 7.3 idi motor i have in both my trucks, these are the most cost efficient diesels hands down!!!! fuel filter is 35.00 and the injectors are full mechanical and can be bought for 200.00 for the set! these motors are very well built and run forever, like i said find a 88-93 7.3 powered truck and it will do what you need it too
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

quote:
quote:
quote:

Actually were both wrong. 94/98 had 12v cummins.
Yea your right lol, in 1998.5 is when they switched it up to the 24v

[ 2016-08-23, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: flores24v ]

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
Originally posted by [SHO]TIME:
yes diesels can be expensive to maintain thats why i would point you in the direction of the 7.3 idi motor i have in both my trucks, these are the most cost efficient diesels hands down!!!! fuel filter is 35.00 and the injectors are full mechanical and can be bought for 200.00 for the set! these motors are very well built and run forever, like i said find a 88-93 7.3 powered truck and it will do what you need it too

I've been searching for a 7.3 or bullet proofed 6.0.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

quote:
quote:

I wouldn't even bother with the 7.3 idi lol
Personally I'd go with a 7.3 powerstroke. If you're unfamiliar with diesels and want to buy one don't hesitate to take it to a shop to get a pre inspection before purchase , if the owner allows it, I don't see why they wouldn't if the truck is in good condition. Every truck has its pros and cons, be patient due your research, test drive them all, good luck
I don't have a ford diesel, but I do own two diesel trucks, feel free to PM me with any questions

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't even bother with the 7.3 idi lol
Personally I'd go with a 7.3 powerstroke. If you're unfamiliar with diesels and want to buy one don't hesitate to take it to a shop to get a pre inspection before purchase , if the owner allows it, I don't see why they wouldn't if the truck is in good condition. Every truck has its pros and cons, be patient due your research, test drive them all, good luck
I don't have a ford diesel, but I do own two diesel trucks, feel free to PM me with any questions

Awesome. Thanks! Yah I'll def spend a few extra hundred for a thorough inspection. Anyone who wouldn't let me do that I'm def not even thinking about buying the truck.

Also by 7.3 I meant power stroke not the idi

[ 2016-08-24, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Budget for a transmission if you go automatic on the 7.3. I put a woods 4r100 in and it's been great. Only problems are uvc harnesses and cps in the ford 7.3 and the trans. It's my daily driver and have no complaints!

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Didn't some of the powerstrokes require the body to be removed in order to work on some engine components? Something for you to check on. CA smog is 98 and newer, which sucks because some trucks were done in half years as listed above. I'm personally not interested in any of the newer diesels with all of the extra stuff that you have to run now.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Good link on 6.0 problems if you haven't seen it yet
http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.0-power-stroke-problems.html

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com