Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Selling my car private party... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Selling my car private party...
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just had a few questions to make sure I go through the process correctly..

I'm selling my car that I have a loan on private party. I plan on meeting the buyer at the credit union (he's going through the same as my lienholder).

My biggest question is DMV question...

The buyer is saying I have to go to the DMV before hand and swap my plates (I have custom/vanity plates that I'm transferring to my truck) and THEN sell it to him...doesn't make sense to me? I thought I could just take the plates off, sell it with a bill of sale and release of liability and then it is HIS responsibility to go to DMV and apply for plates and registration?

Please let me know if there's anything else I should know before hand. Thanks CAFords!!

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what i know and understand you can keep your plates and the new owner pays the 20 bucks for new plates. I could be wrong but ive seen my cousins keep their special plates without an issue.

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can take those plates and then transfer when u want. U own those plates. Thats why you have to pay extra on then every year. I had to do the same thing when my brother died and I had to change everything from the truck and plates. You can give him or sell the plates but it will be another fee to him at the dmv

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You selling the stang? Lol

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
You selling the stang? Lol

Haha been up for a few weeks..found a buyer this week. Came and looked at it yesterday and now its coming down to the figuring out the payoff, DMV, etc

--------------------
click here

eldog68
¯
Member # 12928

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldog68  Ford pictures for eldog68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We just did this. Take the plates off and sign a release form at dmv. The rest is on him.
Posts: 263 | From: el Dorado hills | Registered: May 2013  |  :
trickflow211
¯
Member # 8503

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for trickflow211  Ford pictures for trickflow211    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I sell cars without plates all the time
It's $50 for new 2 plates

Posts: 2449 | From: Pittsburg/Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Credit unions won't finance the loan until the new plates are on the car. They don't want the hassle of dealing with the paperwork being held up since they want their titling documents asap.

A new set of plates at DMV will run you $17. Go spend a few bucks and get it done so you can sell your $40,000 car

[ 2015-09-13, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: 50 Deep ]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
Credit unions won't finance the loan until the new plates are on the car. They don't want the hassle of dealing with the paperwork being held up since they want their titling documents asap.

A new set of plates at DMV will run you $17. Go spend a few bucks and get it done so you can sell your $40,000 car

I don't have an issue paying $17 but I felt like he was trying to have me basically pay another years reg for him....my custom plates are going to be transferred to my truck, which has its own current (standard) plates and reg right now.

I also didn't really want to go to DMV, swap plates, and then run into an issue with not selling the car (if he backed out) etc.

--------------------
click here

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by swedensky:
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:

I don't have an issue paying $17 but I felt like he was trying to have me basically pay another years reg for him....my custom plates are going to be transferred to my truck, which has its own current (standard) plates and reg right now.

I also didn't really want to go to DMV, swap plates, and then run into an issue with not selling the car (if he backed out) etc.

Are the tags due anytime soon. An due you really want to sell it.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Tags are good until June/16

No I don't want to sell it, but I've made the firm decision to do it.

--------------------
click here

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Then the tags can not be renewed at this time the dmv only renew the tags at 3 months out.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:

Then the tags can not be renewed at this time the dmv only renew the tags at 3 months out.
So I can just sell him the car with no plates, and he goes to the DMV and starts fresh?

--------------------
click here

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:
quote:

So I can just sell him the car with no plates, and he goes to the DMV and starts fresh?
If the loan company says the car has to have plates on it then get the plates what I'd a 20-50 loss on a 40 car.
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

And I should do that beforehand?

--------------------
click here

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
And I should do that beforehand?

I would and be done with it.
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Thanks for the help! [patriot]

--------------------
click here

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Question. How did you go about getting custom plates on your car. I always thought you couldn't get personal plates on a car you car paying on.

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

quote:
Originally posted by 1NastyBullitt:
Question. How did you go about getting custom plates on your car. I always thought you couldn't get personal plates on a car you car paying on.

Nope, no different. Went online to order them, and when they showed up i picked them up.

--------------------
click here

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't you have a whole office of dmv title clerks and finance dept at your work that can answer any one of these questions

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Don't you have a whole office of dmv title clerks and finance dept at your work that can answer any one of these questions

Don't the people on this forum live in cities with a mechanic they can ask their questions? Did you have an issue with it, or what is your deal?

And if you want the answer yes I work in a RETAIL dealership, which is separate from private party. I can't sell my car through my dealership, it's finance managers, or its DMV clerks.

--------------------
click here

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Don't the people on this forum live in cities with a mechanic they can ask their questions? Did you have an issue with it, or what is your deal?

And if you want the answer yes I work in a RETAIL dealership, which is separate from private party. I can't sell my car through my dealership, it's finance managers, or its DMV clerks.

Im sure he is saying why didn't you ask a dmv clerk at your job.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Little defensive?

He was just asking if you tried the subject matter experts at the dealership you work at if they have any experience with buying/selling vehicles with custom tags.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by stanger00:
quote:
quote:

Little defensive?

He was just asking if you tried the subject matter experts at the dealership you work at if they have any experience with buying/selling vehicles with custom tags.

Different rules when selling a car private party then retail
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stanger00:
quote:
quote:

Little defensive?

Different rules when selling a car private party then retail
So, what you are saying is that a DMV clerk at a retail dealership does not know how to deal with custom tag with regard to a private party sale. Because dealerships never buy cars from customers who have custom plates... They must just get a temp tag and let the seller keep their plates.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com