Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » nissan leaf (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: nissan leaf
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I find it funny how a lot of ppl on here make fun of others who drive fuel efficient cars as commuters/daily drivers. Does it make you cool to spend $60-$80 per week on gas? I think spending $0-30 per week is cooler [Wink]

It's called knowing your audience. That's what you get when you post this type of question on a predominantly mustang/performance car forum. There are forums dedicated to all types of fuel efficient vehicles, where I've done plenty of research before buying mine.

Venomous99 hit the nail on the head, but I've seen the chargers listed in the opposite order (slow level 1 to fastest level 3). What is rarely mentioned is to make sure you have a dedicated, or lightly used electrical circuit for the charger. Be sure to factor your energy consumption honestly, if you're going to get an EV. Check your actual rates and how your billing works because some are more complex than others (tiered by usage/tiered by time of day/etc.). And know your driving style or typical route. You don't benefit as much from an EV cruising at freeway speeds as you do in heavy traffic or in town. An EV may not be worth it.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I find it funny how a lot of ppl on here make fun of others who drive fuel efficient cars as commuters/daily drivers. Does it make you cool to spend $60-$80 per week on gas? I think spending $0-30 per week is cooler [Wink]

You definitely have a valid point. But some commuters like myself don't go straight home after work, therefore like to have something fun/cool to drive. I commute from Tracy to Fremont mon-fri and have tried the commuter car idea for about a week and just about lost my mind..Some people are different of course, but I choose to pay at the pump rather than drive a not so fun vehicle.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blu50Stang:
quote:

It's called knowing your audience. That's what you get when you post this type of question on a predominantly mustang/performance car forum. There are forums dedicated to all types of fuel efficient vehicles, where I've done plenty of research before buying mine.

Venomous99 hit the nail on the head, but I've seen the chargers listed in the opposite order (slow level 1 to fastest level 3). What is rarely mentioned is to make sure you have a dedicated, or lightly used electrical circuit for the charger. Be sure to factor your energy consumption honestly, if you're going to get an EV. Check your actual rates and how your billing works because some are more complex than others (tiered by usage/tiered by time of day/etc.). And know your driving style or typical route. You don't benefit as much from an EV cruising at freeway speeds as you do in heavy traffic or in town. An EV may not be worth it.

thanks..had them mixed up.
if i didnt have free level 2 6kw charging at work that would've made my decision to go EV a lot more difficult since it then becomes an issue w/ pumping up your energy usage to tier 3 and 4 where you'll be spending like 30cents/kw--hr

i took into serious consideration what the total running cost was factoring energy rates, depreciation, cost per mile , lease vs purchase etc but thats probably way more than what most ppl would be doing.

looking at it from a price per mile nothing beats leasing a leaf(yes, less than $150 easily, maybe $125/month) but the range sucks ass. i treated the car strictly as a commuter and nothing else. in 2 years or less the standard mile range for EVs on entry and mid level cars will be around 150miles and up. just about time before it gets there. in no way would i ever consider buying these cars cuz they depreciate way too much and the technology is evolving rapidly.

LOL on commuting and having to drive a gay ass EV, its not the point of the thread.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

My daily gets 30mpg and aint a piece of shit. You can save money and not look like a dork.
blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackfifty  Ford pictures for blackfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
Can you supercharge it and call it a leaf blower?

hahahahahaha this has made me day good sir

--------------------
03 Terminator

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just like the whole going electric as a commuter. But i think the whole range for me is almost at the limit. I dont like the looks of the leaf or prius or other hybrids but i care about being smart on saving. Thanks guys for all the responds. Im gonna get a hybrid for to be able to fit my family. But manly use for commuter. Hopely the 35k 200 miles range telsa will come soon.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
SantaClara_Cobra
¯
Member # 9488

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantaClara_Cobra  Ford pictures for SantaClara_Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I find you funny
flores24v
¯
Member # 10586

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for flores24v  Ford pictures for flores24v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
I just like the whole going electric as a commuter. But i think the whole range for me is almost at the limit. I dont like the looks of the leaf or prius or other hybrids but i care about being smart on saving. Thanks guys for all the responds. Im gonna get a hybrid for to be able to fit my family. But manly use for commuter. Hopely the 35k 200 miles range telsa will come soon.

You ever look into the Golf TDI
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I rode in a 2014 Accord Hybrid that an Uber driver picked me up in. He drove like a dick and was averaging 43mpg. Interior is plush and comfy. Another Uber driver picked me up in a PriusC and he was averaging high 40s. If I ever turn into a gas pump panzy I would much rather drive an Accord or Malibu hybrid around than a glorified golf cart. I wouldn't want to deal with charging or range anxiety.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

70stang351w
¯
Member # 9948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70stang351w  Ford pictures for 70stang351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wanna go fast

Ricky Bobby: With all due respect, I didn't realize you'd gotten experimental surgery to get your balls removed.

--------------------
1996 GT VERT /32v MOD - SOLD
1970 Mustang Coupe M-Code 351w

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by flores24v:
quote:

Yeh I have a 2014 Jett'a sports wagon TDI provided by My work and it has tons of low end grunt and knocks down 40+ mpg with a lot of around town driving and have heard a lot of people knocking down 700 miles out of 1 tank on freeway trips. Pretty fun car around town with the 6 speed auto and is quick off the line for what it is and the engine never works hard because it shifts below 3k RPM's unless You are over half throttle and climbs over the vine in OD like A goat "was rolling about 85-90 & ready for more! T I think they go for 30k or a tad more fully loaded.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
quote:

Yeh I have a 2014 Jett'a sports wagon TDI provided by My work and it has tons of low end grunt and knocks down 40+ mpg with a lot of around town driving and have heard a lot of people knocking down 700 miles out of 1 tank on freeway trips. Pretty fun car around town with the 6 speed auto and is quick off the line for what it is and the engine never works hard because it shifts below 3k RPM's unless You are over half throttle and climbs over the vine in OD like A goat "was rolling about 85-90 & ready for more! T I think they go for 30k or a tad more fully loaded.
i looked into the tdi too but something 09 and up low miles was super hard to find under 10k. Thats my budget for my commuter. And everytime i found a nice tdi i will call and it had been sold already.

--------------------

PonyBoy415
¯
Member # 13662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PonyBoy415  Ford pictures for PonyBoy415    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently became a commuter and I was lucky enough to find an 05 Focus ZX4 with only 20k miles. I picked it up for 8k and its in excellent shape. I get around 34 mpg on the freeway and around 25 mpg on the streets which is decent. The thing about though is it really makes me appreciate my 2013 Gt when I do actually drive it.
Posts: 356 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2014  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I contemplated getting an Eco commuter for a DD but driving my CTSV everyday is like driving with a hard on. It feels so good:D
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Nissan leaf has the worst resale value of any car. It loses 58% of its value in the first year. Id get a nice hybrid for a commuter. The leaf just doesnt have the range and is really only an in town car.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get yourself a golf tdi I own one its a fun little car and great on fuel economy .... Diesel
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just bike to work

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
quote:

i looked into the tdi too but something 09 and up low miles was super hard to find under 10k. Thats my budget for my commuter. And everytime i found a nice tdi i will call and it had been sold already.
TDI's do 500k easy. Low miles = 200k. Get a MkIV as you can get them right now for $4500. We've got a '13 TDI and the car is great. Better mileage than a Prius and shitloads of torque. It still turns 46mpg at 80mph blasting down the freeway.

[ 2015-07-18, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2012 golf tdi manual trans for sale. I want 16.5 though, you won't find one for under 10k unless it has 200k miles on it. Electric cars are stupid and if you don't have free charging, you will spend more on electricity than gas. The only benefit of an electric car is all the incentives from the goverment to make people buy them. For the record, i bought a chevy volt for the writeoffs and carpool stickers. I still think everything about electric cars is pointless.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
I have a 2012 golf tdi manual trans for sale. I want 16.5 though, you won't find one for under 10k unless it has 200k miles on it. Electric cars are stupid and if you don't have free charging, you will spend more on electricity than gas. The only benefit of an electric car is all the incentives from the goverment to make people buy them. For the record, i bought a chevy volt for the writeoffs and carpool stickers. I still think everything about electric cars is pointless.

I paid 16200 in January for mine with 30k on it 6spd manual also I love the car

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Thanks guys i ended getting an 08 prius under 100k miles and all the goodies minus leather for about 8300 clean title. It was a bitch this pass two weeks trying to find the right car for my commute. I almost pick up a hhr ss for 9k as a fun commuter but that was not going to save me gas at all. So far i drove the prius 80 miles and average 51 miles according to the computer on the car. Once i fill up a couple of times i will see real world mpg. The leaf was a cool idea since i have a charger at work but i would be charging at home and work all the time. Like said before once they make a 5 seater electric car with atleast 200 miles range affordable then i would be ready. Thanks for all the input though

--------------------

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BUKSING:
I contemplated getting an Eco commuter for a DD but driving my CTSV everyday is like driving with a hard on. It feels so good:D

It does kick ass daily driving a v
I like getting some random runs in with Camaros and mustangs
[burnout]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Thanks guys i ended getting an 08 prius under 100k miles and all the goodies minus leather for about 8300 clean title. It was a bitch this pass two weeks trying to find the right car for my commute. I almost pick up a hhr ss for 9k as a fun commuter but that was not going to save me gas at all. So far i drove the prius 80 miles and average 51 miles according to the computer on the car. Once i fill up a couple of times i will see real world mpg. The leaf was a cool idea since i have a charger at work but i would be charging at home and work all the time. Like said before once they make a 5 seater electric car with atleast 200 miles range affordable then i would be ready. Thanks for all the input though

Good choice on the Prius for a commuter. You'll get real world MPGs of around 46-48mpg depending on the condition of your car and the flow of traffic on your commute.

My 05, with 228k miles, original HV batteries, etc still averages 46-48mpg which is not bad at all considering the miles. Good luck with it! They're ugly as hell, yes, but you'll love the savings when you fill up the tank for less than $30 after 400 miles [Wink]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

quote:
quote:

Good choice on the Prius for a commuter. You'll get real world MPGs of around 46-48mpg depending on the condition of your car and the flow of traffic on your commute.

My 05, with 228k miles, original HV batteries, etc still averages 46-48mpg which is not bad at all considering the miles. Good luck with it! They're ugly as hell, yes, but you'll love the savings when you fill up the tank for less than $30 after 400 miles [Wink]

Thanks man. Yea there ugly my kia rio was ugly too lol but atleast this prius feels so much better than my kia. And that extra 15mpg over my kia feels good. But im lower my prius and some tint would help the look a bit

--------------------

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
honda civic CNG/natural gas = $2.25/gallon w/ very little fluctuation, 39mpg, clean air/hov access, excellent resale value.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com