Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Dupli-color paint match With pics!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dupli-color paint match With pics!!
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who has used the dupli-color match paint in aerosol form? I threw some canyon red fenders in my coupe and I'm in love with the color. A quick search showed me it's available just not sure if it's at autozine or oreilly maybe even Pep boys since its walking distance from my house.

Anyways. How did your color of choice turnout? Does it need a separate coat of clear? Does it have that same semi flake look to it? Let's see pics of your experience or whole car or project whatever
Thanks !!

So I ordered 4 cans for the hell of it o can see how it would probably cost as much as maaco but here's how it came out
 -

This would be finished product of color not said rattle can job
 -

[ 2015-03-06, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: LXjames ]

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you talking about rattle cans? I would never rattle can an entire car! That will turn out HORRIBLE... straight Tijuana stylez yo [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Are you talking about rattle cans? I would never rattle can an entire car! That will turn out HORRIBLE... straight Tijuana stylez yo [Whoo Whooooo!]

I've seen some nice work done with a rattle can so that's your opinion. But yea a poorly done rattle can paint job sucks but if you take your time, as with anything, quality can be had

--------------------
King Lx

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All I can say is, GOOD LUCK. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
quote:

I've seen some nice work done with a rattle can so that's your opinion. But yea a poorly done rattle can paint job sucks but if you take your time, as with anything, quality can be had
You seen some nice pictures of rattle can jobs or in person?

Rattle can an entire car probably wont even be a 50ft car. My factory 15 year old paint is barely decent looking 10 feet away with all of its imperfections of 100k mile use over its life.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not just take it to maaco. Rattle can paint isn't cheap either and at least when Maaco sprays it it will be somewhat uniformed and not streaky. Duplicolor is okay for small pieces and the color is close to that of factory, but it will not be something i'd do to say match a fender or door or even a mirror cover. The spray is kinda on the heavy side compared to that of paint sprayed from a gun.

I did use duplicolor to paint the instrument cluster bezel to match the exterior, but that was because it was for a chevy tahoe and i didn't want to invest money on a color that I typically dont use.

It's basically single stage paint in a spray can. You can get this from San Leandro Color as well. They will mix it to match your color code and put it in a spray can.

[ 2015-03-05, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your going through the trouble of doing it the right way then why waste it on a rattle can paint job. Keep the mismatch fenders until you can do it the right way. Nothing wrong with that one bit.
90GTSleeepr
¯
Member # 9609

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GTSleeepr  Ford pictures for 90GTSleeepr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or just call a Painter- there's a few on here I think [Wink]

--------------------
Jon Plummer 916-410-6269 aka 90GTSleeepr aka arrowdetail@hotmail.com aka Nicetwiceautoresto@gmail.com Wanted for business scams

Blk93pny
¯
Member # 11387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blk93pny  Ford pictures for Blk93pny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow bro, WOW. Rattle can a car. You are special man, so cheap youll rattle can your hunka junk salvage cars. Keep up the good work
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by RRRCobraSC281:
Why not just take it to maaco. Rattle can paint isn't cheap either and at least when Maaco sprays it it will be somewhat uniformed and not streaky. Duplicolor is okay for small pieces and the color is close to that of factory, but it will not be something i'd do to say match a fender or door or even a mirror cover. The spray is kinda on the heavy side compared to that of paint sprayed from a gun.

I did use duplicolor to paint the instrument cluster bezel to match the exterior, but that was because it was for a chevy tahoe and i didn't want to invest money on a color that I typically dont use.

It's basically single stage paint in a spray can. You can get this from San Leandro Color as well. They will mix it to match your color code and put it in a spray can.

That's true Robert, I wish I could do the body work and just take it to maaco, that was the original plan too, just wanted to see what a try would yield.

--------------------
King Lx

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Youre definitely better off just taking it to Maaco and getting it sprayed there. Rattle can paint jobs always look straight up ghetto.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck these haters plastidip that bitch

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why would you rattle can your Hellcat?
9stangvert3
¯
Member # 12934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9stangvert3  Ford pictures for 9stangvert3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can rattle can a car and look good ! Its called CAN Control !! But most folks can't do it just like anything else you need technique I have done it before but I've been working with spray cans for years so my advice if you spray it make sure that person has experience I hate seeing those streaks on the paint job and not to mention drips. Honestly if your going to do it I recommend plastic dip IMO or invest in a paint gun you can't go wrong learning something new good luck! BTW I follow you on IG your car will be badass by the time your done!! Good luck with the build..
Blow_U_In_Reverse
¯
Member # 12298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blow_U_In_Reverse  Ford pictures for Blow_U_In_Reverse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive rattle canned both my 91 and my 82 before I decided to actually paint the,.. rode it like that for almost a year on both cars, and still got compliments on both cars.. I even rattle canned my buddies primered car after he saw how my cars looked.. It all depends on how evenly you spray it! but honeslty it ends up costing close to what maaco will charge anyways.. so if you have time to spare and wana have some fun, go for it!!

--------------------
"Real Men Get BLOWN"
-1993 Cobra "COBRUUH"
-1984 T-Top Notchback
#KurganTuned

Posts: 2688 | From: FiJi-925-650 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

OG post has pics of ford color and my rattle can work

--------------------
King Lx

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

[ 2015-03-07, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Eddie510- ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510-:
 -

Seems about right on rattle can jobs. I didn't know that was the name of that color though! My brothers '86 coupe is that color!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510-:
 -

You can actually clear coat this stuff and buff it like normal paint. It won't be perfect but it's better than some of members rides or how their shit was before paint.

--------------------
King Lx

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why dont you do the $50 roller paint job? It'll come out far better than rattle cans and itll cost much cheaper.
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just save your $ and do it right. Who cares if you have mismatch parts on it. Or buy a paint gun and shoot some hot rod black on it. It'll be a semi gloss black and hard to screw up but look presentable.
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/my-attempt-at-the-50-rustoleum-roll-on-paint-job.823570/
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
Fuck these haters plastidip that bitch

LMAO [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I'm speechless myself [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
quote:

I'm speechless myself [Eek!] [Eek!]
+2.

The main thing when painting a car is labor. If you are going to do all that work do it a little better. Buy a cheap paint gun, some base and clear and have fun. The results will be 1000 times better

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com