Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » why's everyone dislike Auto mustangs ?? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: why's everyone dislike Auto mustangs ??
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I miss my old 95 GT automatic when I am in traffic and it got 18mpg but it was slow.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Takes the fun out of driving a muscle car IMO. I will NEVER own a automatic muscle car.

Next time your at the track the same time I am. I'll let you dive my car. You still have to manually shift ever gear. The t-brake is on par with, dropping the clutch.. Only difference really. Is not needing to push in a clutch, on the gear changes. No nos passes... I don't want shit in my drivers seat.. [Razz]

[ 2014-06-20, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:
Takes the fun out of driving a muscle car IMO. I will NEVER own a automatic muscle car.

Next time your at the track the same time I am. I'll let you dive my car. You still have to manually shift ever gear. The t-brake is on par with, dropping the clutch.. Only difference really. Is not needing to push in a clutch, on the gear changes. No nos passes... I don't want shit in my drivers seat.. [Razz]
LOL ok you said it! I'm quoting this for proof! But see I respect the power you make N times you run but I'd enjoy it more running the same times in a true stick shift car.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Vndcatr:
Everyone has their preferences. In a street/track car under 700hp id take a stick and just try like hell to get it to hook up. which is what ill be trying to do shortly. A cruiser or bracket racing car id take a stalled auto all day.

Bet half of these guys saying autos are gay have never driven a stalled auto with power. and im not talking about your average bucket fox with a alphabet cam and slushbox..

alphabet cam!! Hahaha [Big Grin]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

Ferrerski
¯
Member # 13125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ferrerski  Ford pictures for Ferrerski    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i started off with an AOD in my 91LX.

threw in 4:10's and shift kit, full suspension, then slapped on a V3 super charger... and still decided to do a 5 speed swap at the end.

All of my previous cars over the last 15 years (3 mustangs, and a C5Z... oh, and a honda prelude =) were manual and I figured i'd get an AOD since all I really cared about was a super clean fox. Then the mod bug hit, and it was all down hill from there.

This is me beating a dead horse, but it's all about personal preference and I prefer manual.

--------------------
Super Charged 91 LX 5.0 Twilight Blue

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL ok you said it! I'm quoting this for proof! But see I respect the power you make N times you run but I'd enjoy it more running the same times in a true stick shift car.
Lol, I would love to see you try to go that quick with a 5 speed and see what happens, but I do believe notch1320 is trying it with his new setup, and it came be done but it's going to be a crazy ride

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

You would never be able to do it...there's a point where autos are just going to be faster...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You would never be able to do it...there's a point where autos are just going to be faster...
And what point exactly would that be????

I've yet to see an NHRA Pro Stock car qualify with an auto. Follow NMRA Coyote stock class and see who's faster at the power level.... Just a couple examples that the general CA Fords naysayers may be familiar with, or can research with a simple Google search. Let me know when you find an auto car at the top of the pack in either class......that pretty much covers the under and well over 500HP reference used in this thread.

Most people either can't drive, or don't want to put the time, effort and money to make a stick car work properly.

When the T-5 shits the bed, people either give up and go auto, or try the numerous boxes Tremec has available to include a T56. In the majority of those cases, the Tremec they just spent decent money on fails, and their 100% against stick cars from that point on, and spend the next few months sorting out converters.

I'm a while out from getting back to the track, but when I do, feel free to stop by and check things out. I might just change your viewpoint...

Lee knows what I'm talking about....lol

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
SSF_5.0_WARRIOR
¯
Member # 10170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR  Ford pictures for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
quote:
Originally posted by POWERED BY FORD:
Auto= for girls unless your 9.99 or faster

Dumbest shit ive read! Some guys just get tired of shifting and prefer to chill and put it in drive and go. I have a 89 gt auto and i guarantee ill give any 5spd a run for its money. Somewhat stock but its a goer!!

Auto or stickshift. Its just a preference. 5speeds just feel faster cause u shift when u want....over rated in my opinion.

Lol, someone let me borrow a stock 87-93 5 speed 5.0 so I can race this slow 89 GT auto.
LOL
[patriot]

Posts: 952 | From: South San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've yet to see an NHRA Pro Stock car qualify with an auto. Follow NMRA Coyote stock class and see who's faster at the power level.... Just a couple examples that the general CA Fords naysayers may be familiar with, or can research with a simple Google search. Let me know when you find an auto car at the top of the pack in either class......that pretty much covers the under and well over 500HP reference used in this thread.

Most people either can't drive, or don't want to put the time, effort and money to make a stick car work properly.

When the T-5 shits the bed, people either give up and go auto, or try the numerous boxes Tremec has available to include a T56. In the majority of those cases, the Tremec they just spent decent money on fails, and their 100% against stick cars from that point on, and spend the next few months sorting out converters.

I'm a while out from getting back to the track, but when I do, feel free to stop by and check things out. I might just change your viewpoint...

so are you saying manual is the best way to get down the 1/4? [Confused]
How many 6-7second manual cars have you seen make a pass?

[ 2014-06-21, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Only cool if you have a shift kit. I had a transgo stage II. chirping gears made it cool lol. Even cooler if you add a b&m prostick ratchet shifter.
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Saleen 00-0768:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused] um...do you happen to follow NHRA on ANY sunday? Cause about 16 cars every weekend are stick shift cars that qualify well below a 7 sec pass bud...

In my opinion an auto mustang can def be a fun car to cruise and extremely consistent at the track,shit OP and myself were at the track a couple weeks ago and his Gt with an auto,bbk intake,exhaust and gears was making several 5 spd cars look slow and they had equal or more mods lol,not one of them cats could drive to save there life..so if you do have a 5spd and that's what your all about better know how to row em'!!

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many manual cars in the top 10?

-

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
quote:
Originally posted by Saleen 00-0768:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused] um...do you happen to follow NHRA on ANY sunday? Cause about 16 cars every weekend are stick shift cars that qualify well below a 7 sec pass bud...

In my opinion an auto mustang can def be a fun car to cruise and extremely consistent at the track,shit OP and myself were at the track a couple weeks ago and his Gt with an auto,bbk intake,exhaust and gears was making several 5 spd cars look slow and they had equal or more mods lol,not one of them cats could drive to save there life..so if you do have a 5spd and that's what your all about better know how to row em'!!

[Roll Eyes] ..so are you trying so say a manual is faster? [Confused]
What's the best qtr mile you've seen from a true stick car?

[ 2014-06-21, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
How many manual cars in the top 10?

-

[patriot]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would hardly consider an $8000 clutchless manual transmission a "manual" transmission. It's as manual as my C4 reverse manual trans. Those Pro Stock and 7 second cars only move a shift handle, the same way I do. Not too many people I've heard of trying to coordinate shifting and clutching 3000-4000 HP cars.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
I would hardly consider an $8000 clutchless manual transmission a "manual" transmission. It's as manual as my C4 reverse manual trans. Those Pro Stock and 7 second cars only move a shift handle, the same way I do. Not too many people I've heard of trying to coordinate shifting and clutching 3000-4000 HP cars.

while they'd be tryna "row em" an auto would drag that ass to the end of the 1/4mile.
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
How many 6-7second manual cars have you seen make a pass? [/QB]

In some cases/classes yes...both can be fast.

I have seen a few... Why are you referring to only 6-7 second cars?

There are maybe two 7 sec cars on this board, and the top ten of the Fast 50 here really doesn't mean shit when it comes to the stick vs auto debate.

A clutchless trans is NOT the same as a "manual" valvebody auto trans. Pure comedy there...lol

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
quote:

There are maybe two 7 sec cars on this board, and the top ten of the Fast 50 here really doesn't mean shit when it comes to the stick vs auto debate.

A clutchless trans is NOT the same as a "manual" valvebody auto trans. Pure comedy there...lol [/QB]

So what does a guy with a clutchless trans have to do to change gears that is different from manual auto trans?

And why doesn't the top 10 here have anything to do with the debate? We have a good cross section of regular guys here, no? And as far as the big boys are concerned, that's pretty much all automatic but for a few classes.

Edit: Okay, never mind. I thought you were talking about the fastest cars but re-read what you said and you aren't talking about the fastest cars.

[ 2014-06-21, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dumbest shit ive read! Some guys just get tired of shifting and prefer to chill and put it in drive and go. I have a 89 gt auto and i guarantee ill give any 5spd a run for its money. Somewhat stock but its a goer!!

Auto or stickshift. Its just a preference. 5speeds just feel faster cause u shift when u want....over rated in my opinion.

Lol, someone let me borrow a stock 87-93 5 speed 5.0 so I can race this slow 89 GT auto.
Ha try it

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

quote:
quote:

A clutchless trans is NOT the same as a "manual" valvebody auto trans. Pure comedy there...lol [/QB]

when it comes to stick vs auto im referring to what is possible with a true stick shift. (synchronized)

[ 2014-06-21, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Saleen 00-0768 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

A clutchless trans is NOT the same as a "manual" valvebody auto trans. Pure comedy there...lol

So what does a guy with a clutchless trans have to do to change gears that is different from manual auto trans?

And why doesn't the top 10 here have anything to do with the debate? We have a good cross section of regular guys here, no? And as far as the big boys are concerned, that's pretty much all automatic but for a few classes.

Edit: Okay, never mind. I thought you were talking about the fastest cars but re-read what you said and you aren't talking about the fastest cars. [/QB]

John, I am having this debate with some other friends right now. I'm on the same wave length as you are.. If I don't pull my shifter... It won't shift. So it can't be a automatic.. Because it won't automatically shift on it's own. Making it a manual shifted trans only. It just uses eternal fluid to allow it to shift. Where as the "stick shifted manual" uses eternal shifter forks, to shift it. Neither of which will shift, if you don't pull the shifter handle/lever...

Now why don't I have a stick shifted manual? I can't push the clutch in as fast as I can move the shifter.. And after 3 passes. My ankle is the size of a grape fruit. Now if someone wants to drop the coin on a clutchless manual trans for me. Please do! I'll have it in the car in a day.. [patriot]

[ 2014-06-21, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ha try it
Setup it, I will walk you

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Edit: Okay, never mind. I thought you were talking about the fastest cars but re-read what you said and you aren't talking about the fastest cars.

John, I am having this debate with some other friends right now. I'm on the same wave length as you are.. If I don't pull my shifter... It won't shift. So it can't be a automatic.. Because it won't automatically shift on it's own. Making it a manual shifted trans only. It just uses eternal fluid to allow it to shift. Where as the "stick shifted manual" uses eternal shifter forks, to shift it. Neither of which will shift, if you don't pull the shifter handle/lever...

Now why don't I have a stick shifted manual? I can't push the clutch in as fast as I can move the shifter.. And after 3 passes. My ankle is the size of a grape fruit. Now if someone wants to drop the coin on a clutchless manual trans for me. Please do! I'll have it in the car in a day.. [patriot] [/QB]

I think I understand what notch1320 is talking about. There are some classes where a manual trans is more practical then an auto trans. Less parasitic loss taking up HP. The percentage of loss has a much greater effect on lower HP cars then higher HP cars so a manual makes more sense.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Haha this shit is funny, dudr thinks cuz he has gears intake and exhaust his shit's fast

Ha try it
Setup it, I will walk you
Haha this dude thinks his shit is fast with some gears exhaust and intake, typical cali ford's 5.0 owner

[ 2014-06-22, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: 9cobrasvt8 ]

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com