Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Those in College/University: School Loans (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Those in College/University: School Loans
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
I think way too many young people are tricked into believing you HAVE to have a college degree to make more money and be successful in life.
I think everyone should first think hard about what they want to be in the work force. Then what is required to apply for their dream job.

great advice and very true. i tell this to many younger adults that i come across, but most don't fully understand this REALLY means.
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did the military loan. Did my time and got 4 years to finish my degree at no cost to me after serving my contract.

I work full time and go to a shitty private University full time. No way I could take 4 classes a semester at a traditional school and maintain my relationship, job and household. My mustang has been on jack stands for 3 months now all I was doing was a brake job, haha. Christmas break it will be back together, I hope. I have completed 28 credits since last September. Only half way done though.

I don't need the degree but I want more upside potential. I'm tired of being a wrench and the degree I want will help me if I want to switch into finance or accounting within the company I currently work.

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I think way too many young people are tricked into believing you HAVE to have a college degree to make more money and be successful in life.
I think everyone should first think hard about what they want to be in the work force. Then what is required to apply for their dream job.

In todays society, You have to have a good degree to be successful. Ya there are some people that make it without a degree, but the percentage is very low...
Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Z06-FTMFW:
quote:

In todays society, You have to have a good degree to be successful. Ya there are some people that make it without a degree, but the percentage is very low...
there's a difference between being successful and having a dream job. you can be financially successful, but if you don't enjoy what you're doing then what's the purpose. after X amount of years in whatever field you'll end up burned out.

when you get a chance to do what you love doing, it'll never feel like work. the money will come as long as you're good at what you do.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Your statement is untrue.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah you'll never do good without a college degree.

List of the Richest School Drop Out Billionaires and Successful Entrepreneurs
1. Bill Gates: He is the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft Corporation, the world largest software company. Dropped out of Harvard to focus on building Microsoft. According to Forbes magazine, Bill Gates has held the position of the world richest man for thirteen consecutive years and he not showing a sign of letting go that position.

“To win big, you sometimes have to take big risks.” – Bill Gates

“We were young, but we had good advice good ideas and lots of enthusiasm.” – Bill Gates
2. Thomas Edison: Thomas Edison was labeled dumb and scatterbrain by his school teachers but he went on to become one of the world’s greatest inventors and founded General Electric; one of the most powerful companies in the world.

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
3. Orji Uzor Kalu: He is one of the richest men on the soil of Africa. This young billionaire was rusticated from college for his participation in a student’s protest. Instead of lamenting over his predicament; he started trading on palm oil and from that humble beginning, he grew his business into a conglomerate “Slok Group.” Though he was later pardoned by the school authorities, he rejected the amnesty offer thereby refusing to return to school.

“A good businessman must have nose for business the same way a journalist has nose for news. Once your eyes, ears, nose, heart and brain are trained on business, you sniff business opportunities everywhere.” – Orji Uzor Kalu
4. Li Ka Shing: Billionaire owner of Hutchinson Whampoa; one of the largest conglomerates in Hong Kong, with operations that span over fifty countries and more than 220,000 staff worldwide. Dropped out of school at the age of 15 and started out by selling watch bands.

“The first year, I didn’t have much capital so I did everything myself. I had to keep my overhead low by learning everything about running a business, from accounting to fixing the gears of my equipment. I really started from scratch.” – Li Ka Shing
5. Richard Branson: Best known for his adventurous spirit and outrageous business tactics. He dropped out of school at the age of 16 to start his first successful business venture; Student Magazine, bought his own 79-acre Caribbean island when he was just 24 and he was knighted in 1999. He is the billionaire founder of the Virgin brand and its 360 companies. His companies include the famous Virgin Atlantic Airways.

“I wanted to be an editor or journalist. I wasn’t really interested in becoming an entrepreneur, but I soon found I had to become an entrepreneur in order to keep my magazine going.” – Richard Branson
6. Lawrence J. Ellison: Larry Ellison dropped out of college twice and was told by his adoptive father that he would never amount to anything but he went on to become a billionaire by building Oracle, the world’s second largest software company.

“I have had all the disadvantages required for success.” – Larry Ellison
7. Michael Dell: He dropped out of college at the age of 19 to start PC’s Limited; later renamed Dell Computers Inc. Dell became the most profitable PC manufacturer in the world making Michael Dell a billionaire.

“I had to give it a full go and see what happened.” – Michael Dell
8. Steve Jobs: Billionaire co-founder of Apple Inc and Pixar; dropped out of Reed College to start Apple.

9. Henry Ford: This automobile billionaire was born in abject poverty. He never saw the four walls of school but he went on to build Ford Motor Company and become one of the richest men that ever lived.

“Thinking is the hardest work to do, that’s why so few people are engaged in it.” – Henry Ford
10. Walt Disney: Walt, regarded as the most influential animator because of his creativity with cartoons. He dropped out of high school at 16 and founded Walt Disney; a company which now has an annual revenue of about $30billion.

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
Yeah you'll never do good without a college degree.

List of the Richest School Drop Out Billionaires and Successful Entrepreneurs
1. Bill Gates: He is the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft Corporation, the world largest software company. Dropped out of Harvard to focus on building Microsoft. According to Forbes magazine, Bill Gates has held the position of the world richest man for thirteen consecutive years and he not showing a sign of letting go that position.

“To win big, you sometimes have to take big risks.” – Bill Gates

“We were young, but we had good advice good ideas and lots of enthusiasm.” – Bill Gates
2. Thomas Edison: Thomas Edison was labeled dumb and scatterbrain by his school teachers but he went on to become one of the world’s greatest inventors and founded General Electric; one of the most powerful companies in the world.

“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
3. Orji Uzor Kalu: He is one of the richest men on the soil of Africa. This young billionaire was rusticated from college for his participation in a student’s protest. Instead of lamenting over his predicament; he started trading on palm oil and from that humble beginning, he grew his business into a conglomerate “Slok Group.” Though he was later pardoned by the school authorities, he rejected the amnesty offer thereby refusing to return to school.

“A good businessman must have nose for business the same way a journalist has nose for news. Once your eyes, ears, nose, heart and brain are trained on business, you sniff business opportunities everywhere.” – Orji Uzor Kalu
4. Li Ka Shing: Billionaire owner of Hutchinson Whampoa; one of the largest conglomerates in Hong Kong, with operations that span over fifty countries and more than 220,000 staff worldwide. Dropped out of school at the age of 15 and started out by selling watch bands.

“The first year, I didn’t have much capital so I did everything myself. I had to keep my overhead low by learning everything about running a business, from accounting to fixing the gears of my equipment. I really started from scratch.” – Li Ka Shing
5. Richard Branson: Best known for his adventurous spirit and outrageous business tactics. He dropped out of school at the age of 16 to start his first successful business venture; Student Magazine, bought his own 79-acre Caribbean island when he was just 24 and he was knighted in 1999. He is the billionaire founder of the Virgin brand and its 360 companies. His companies include the famous Virgin Atlantic Airways.

“I wanted to be an editor or journalist. I wasn’t really interested in becoming an entrepreneur, but I soon found I had to become an entrepreneur in order to keep my magazine going.” – Richard Branson
6. Lawrence J. Ellison: Larry Ellison dropped out of college twice and was told by his adoptive father that he would never amount to anything but he went on to become a billionaire by building Oracle, the world’s second largest software company.

“I have had all the disadvantages required for success.” – Larry Ellison
7. Michael Dell: He dropped out of college at the age of 19 to start PC’s Limited; later renamed Dell Computers Inc. Dell became the most profitable PC manufacturer in the world making Michael Dell a billionaire.

“I had to give it a full go and see what happened.” – Michael Dell
8. Steve Jobs: Billionaire co-founder of Apple Inc and Pixar; dropped out of Reed College to start Apple.

9. Henry Ford: This automobile billionaire was born in abject poverty. He never saw the four walls of school but he went on to build Ford Motor Company and become one of the richest men that ever lived.

“Thinking is the hardest work to do, that’s why so few people are engaged in it.” – Henry Ford
10. Walt Disney: Walt, regarded as the most influential animator because of his creativity with cartoons. He dropped out of high school at 16 and founded Walt Disney; a company which now has an annual revenue of about $30billion.

For every one of those success stories, There are a million who fail.

You need a degree to be successful, Those who argue against it most likely are high school drop outs and stupid people.

Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ My dad had so much money in the credit union they asked him to transfer money to another bank...... No college degree.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
High school diploma right here I make over 100k a year own five homes out right.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
^ My dad had so much money in the credit union they asked him to transfer money to another bank...... No college degree.

Leaving that money in the bank is such a waste. If the had that much money in the bank why didnt he invest it?

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:

Leaving that money in the bank is such a waste. If the had that much money in the bank why didnt he invest it?
He just sold his company and had to pay his capitol gains taxes and other stuff. He's been moving money around all over the place and investing it. [patriot]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:

He just sold his company and had to pay his capitol gains taxes and other stuff. He's been moving money around all over the place and investing it. [patriot]
If have mind for numbers an not be afraid to hustle an grind it out
you can reap big for hard work.

An when all saying you need college degree to be successful are just buying in to lie that will just kept you debt.

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't judge everybody who has no degree actually I wouldn't judge you unless you worked food prep projects or collect welfare, or a freeloader. You know who you are!
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ 2014-11-14, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: JohnCM ]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You don't necessarily need to have a degree to be successful. It does help in the beginning if you want to start with a higher paying job. I believe in the total package concept where a person has to possess certain qualities that allows one to be very successful in their career, career progression and earning top wages for their labor.

I am friends with a guy who has a MBA and earned less than my fiancé who doesn't have a degree. Doesn't make sense, right. The downside to her not having a degree is he just recently got promoted over her because of guess what, that MBA he has. Edit: for reference they both have 10 years experience in the banking industry. He is an underwriter and she is a loan andminstrator with 2 years underwriting.

Entrepreneurs are a different animal. They are very unique. I don't have those skills so I will continue to be a drone slave to the system and I have to get a degree to move up the ladder.

[ 2014-11-15, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: stanger00 ]

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stanger00:
quote:

You don't necessarily need to have a degree to be successful. It does help in the beginning if you want to start with a higher paying job. I believe in the total package concept where a person has to possess certain qualities that allows one to be very successful in their career, career progression and earning top wages for their labor.

I am friends with a guy who has a MBA and earned less than my fiancé who doesn't have a degree. Doesn't make sense, right. The downside to her not having a degree is he just recently got promoted over her because of guess what, that MBA he has. Edit: for reference they both have 10 years experience in the banking industry. He is an underwriter and she is a loan andminstrator with 2 years underwriting.

Entrepreneurs are a different animal. They are very unique. I don't have those skills so I will continue to be a drone slave to the system and I have to get a degree to move up the ladder.

Don't sell yourself short.

Look for things you enjoy doing. Look for improvement in those things, whatever they are. You don't have to be a "drone" lol.
I was for years too until I kept looking for an edge in the industry I was in. Saved money and found somebody who had the same drive I did to form our business together.

My advice for anyone starting a business is do it yourself if you have the ability to. A partner can be a real pain sometimes and compromise is a BIG part of it. Butting heads can be a real problem sometimes.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com