Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Those in College/University: School Loans (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Those in College/University: School Loans
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For those of you who are currently in school, or just recently graduated, and took out school loans...can you point me in the direction of who you went through and other pertinent details?

I'm about 80% complete with my current degree and I'll be looking to add a second major...if I keep my current job I will never be able to go back and finish my schooling. Instead of waiting for the "perfect" or ideal time where my finances agree I'll scale everything down and sell my toy if I have to and take out school loans. I am pretty certain I won't qualify for financial aid the first year because of my current income, but I will apply for it anyway to see what happens (along with grants, scholarships, etc).

I know only a select few on here may fit the above, but thought I'd ask anyways [Big Grin]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

blackfifty
¯
Member # 9023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackfifty  Ford pictures for blackfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's loans out there that cover the cost of living. You can find government loans to do this or go through a private loan which They'll pay for your classes and whatever is left over goes in your pocket for housing, food, bills ect... It would be wise to start looking for another job that would work around your schedule so you can supplement some of your own income into your bills instead of solely relying on your loans. It will be hard and you're going to be broke but it will be worth it in the end.
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Contact your schools financial aide office. They have the best options available. A portion of my student loan was a Stafford loan at I think 3.25%.

I make too much to get any kind of financial aide.

Even though most loans defer payment till 6 months after graduating, I would recommend paying on your loan while in school.

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are loans out there you can get, but I wouldn't recommend it!!! The best way is go to your schools financial aid department and apply for a grant/loan. Its simple and easy.

Don't get scared about the loans either, when you graduate you will make good money (hopefully) and you can afford the payment

I'm have about $100K in loans left.

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no matter what check w/ the financial aid office on what sort of loans are available.
even if you or your parents make too much you might be able to get a subsidized loan meaning interest is deferred(and paid by the governement) until you graduate. i did exactly this and even filed for a hardship due to not working right after college which then extended the deferred interest for another 6-12months.

i worked while in college and used the money from work and financial aid to help fund my spending appetite on modding my stang at the time. LOL you live and you learn.

[ 2014-05-20, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Outlaw_Stangz
¯
Member # 3926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw_Stangz  Ford pictures for Outlaw_Stangz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look for stipend programs. Some potential employers are willing to give you money up front if you commit to work for them for a certain amount of time once you graduate.
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I was enrolled in a CSU but it has been a few years since I was enrolled. My next hurdle is seeing about re-enrolling and if I have to wait for the same time period as new applicants or if I can submit some sort of transfer. I was at CSUEB but I'd like to finish in Fullerton, possibly San Diego.

When I was 18-20 I thought the money I'm making now would be "a lot" but once you get there you realize it won't cut it! LOL. I'm tired of seeing all these kids I come across at work that are about 1-2 years younger than I am, fresh out of college without sense of how to handle their duties (paying bills, signing up for this or that, handling responsibilities) but yet they are making 80k-100k fresh out of college, living in SF, buying new BMW's and such.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black 02 SS:

When I was 18-20 I thought the money I'm making now would be "a lot" but once you get there you realize it won't cut it! LOL. I'm tired of seeing all these kids I come across at work that are about 1-2 years younger than I am, fresh out of college without sense of how to handle their duties (paying bills, signing up for this or that, handling responsibilities) but yet they are making 80k-100k fresh out of college, living in SF, buying new BMW's and such.

easy to be tempted fresh out of hs to start getting paid what seems to be pretty damn good money. youre doing the right thing....
that money is decent when you're young but we all soon find out its barely enough to support a family. too many kids make this mistake but cant fault them given their limited financial situation and the fact that college aint for everyone.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:

easy to be tempted fresh out of hs to start getting paid what seems to be pretty damn good money. youre doing the right thing....
that money is decent when you're young but we all soon find out its barely enough to support a family. too many kids make this mistake but cant fault them given their limited financial situation and the fact that college aint for everyone.

very true

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just started at grand canyon university this week
Going to knock this crap out before I turn 30
Wish I went before but just didn't have the discipline to wake up and go to class
Hoping a business degree will get me somewhere one day

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

quote:
Originally posted by JohnCM:
I just started at grand canyon university this week
Going to knock this crap out before I turn 30
Wish I went before but just didn't have the discipline to wake up and go to class
Hoping a business degree will get me somewhere one day

Good luck man! I too want to finish the double major before I turn 30. If it all plays out like I want it to I should be about 28 when I finish.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

I pulled the trigger...sold my Z06 at the end of July and applied to CSUEB, SJSU, CSUF, and CSULB. EB and SJ replied pretty promptly and I got a wait list offer for CSULB. Just last week I got a response from Cal State Fullerton that I really wasn't expecting because they are usually quite impacted, especially for out of area transfers. I'm thrilled to say the least.

I accepted admission offer to CSUF and got a private loan approval from WF for the first year before I committed to it. I'm going to look into financial aid and loans from the school now before I pull funding from WF. I should be able to finish my first Psych BA in two semesters+summer session, I hope, then I hope it all plays out and I can continue to obtain financing for a second major in Statistics. From what I've read, financing for a second major won't be as easy but I'll do my best to get through it. I have to admit, quitting my job and solely depending loans/grants/scholarships is scary as all heck! I'm going to give it all and do internships, get involved in school programs and activities, etc. and build on the education so that I can settle into a career once I finish.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm about to start college at 24 myself. When i graduated HS, I figured that i could find a decent job without a degree. After bouncing around useless jobs for 3-4 years, I've grown sick and tired of it. Friends of mine are graduating now and getting great jobs, buying new BMWs and doing stuff they have pride in. Wish i wouldve done this at 18 but still better late than never.

I'd say though, Its pretty depressing leaving a job you worked your way up to $16/hr at for a part time $10/hr retail job, Get rid of all car loans and useless expenses and live like a broke college student lol. The bigger picture will make it all worth it though.

Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

quote:
Originally posted by Robb:
I'd say though, Its pretty depressing leaving a job you worked your way up to $16/hr at for a part time $10/hr retail job, Get rid of all car loans and useless expenses and live like a broke college student lol. The bigger picture will make it all worth it though.

You're not kidding. I'm making about double that currently but it is nowhere near the industry or type of environment I want to be in. It took me five years to make it here from making 24k a year starting off but I'm pretty well drained since I'm juggling three different duties throughout the day. Best of luck man, it will all be worth it one day.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
F school, work on food prep projects instead.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure you can get a second bachelors? My wife wanted to get a second bachelor but was told no by all csus schools. I would highly encourage you to ask about it now. Instead she had to get her masters at a uc and will be finished December.

[ 2014-11-13, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Cool, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I was enrolled in a CSU but it has been a few years since I was enrolled. My next hurdle is seeing about re-enrolling and if I have to wait for the same time period as new applicants or if I can submit some sort of transfer. I was at CSUEB but I'd like to finish in Fullerton, possibly San Diego.

Please dont believe all people make 100k fresh out of college. Certain majors will for sure like engineering. However, English and business majors wont.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

think bigger picture...4-5 years aint shiet when you're going to be working for the next 30 years.
the sacrifices you make now will surely pay off once you graduate.

my recommendation if youre looking for max pay after a bachelors and assuming you can handle the curriculum is get into software, engineering or nursing field.
depending on where you'll land you should be getting paid decently and in a few years easily rack 100k plus and then some and even still have a reasonable work schedule.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Are you sure you can get a second bachelors? My wife wanted to get a second bachelor but was told no by all csus schools. I would highly encourage you to ask about it now. Instead she had to get her masters at a uc and will be finished December.

SHIT! Good point, I'll have to talk to admissions at CSUF today about that. If that's the case, I may just have to take the SJSU offer since they accepted me into math department already.

Edit: I have to correct myself. I should have said double major rather than second BA. My bad!

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Please dont believe all people make 100k fresh out of college. Certain majors will for sure like engineering. However, English and business majors wont.

Oh, trust me, I know it's hard to make 100k off the bat. A few of my friends that have their BA are making less than I am now but they're just starting off and haven't made their way up yet. I'm just talking about a select few that I come across at work who get lucky or realistically have friends/family/networked their way into a great position.

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
think bigger picture...4-5 years aint shiet when you're going to be working for the next 30 years.
the sacrifices you make now will surely pay off once you graduate.

my recommendation if youre looking for max pay after a bachelors and assuming you can handle the curriculum is get into software, engineering or nursing field.
depending on where you'll land you should be getting paid decently and in a few years easily rack 100k plus and then some and even still have a reasonable work schedule.

Software is intriguing to me but I've never thought about getting into it. Seems like there would be a lot competition in the job market.

[ 2014-11-13, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Black 02 SS ]

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Profits are better than wages.

Work for somebody else = wages.
Work for yourself = profits.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think way too many young people are tricked into believing you HAVE to have a college degree to make more money and be successful in life.
I think everyone should first think hard about what they want to be in the work force. Then what is required to apply for their dream job.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There plenty of jobs out there that you don't need a college degree for an make over 100k plus a year.you just have to have some hustle in you.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
Profits are better than wages.

Work for somebody else = wages.
Work for yourself = profits.

+1
IF you have the discipline and the drive to run your own business you can be quite successful with out a college degree. My mom and dad just sold their company and are sitting on a nice pile of money.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
I think way too many young people are tricked into believing you HAVE to have a college degree to make more money and be successful in life.
I think everyone should first think hard about what they want to be in the work force. Then what is required to apply for their dream job.

This is true.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:

This has ALWAYS been true.

20 years ago you could expect to have 7 different careers in your life time. I would expect that number to at least hold true in today's job market. Think about that for one second. You better be taking courses in college that work with many different careers.

With the outsourcing of jobs, global economy, internet taking over ,things are a changing fast!! Colleges aren't current enough with how fast things are changing. Talk to real people, business owners and people with experience to find out what's really going on...

To be "lucky" to have a job these days as the norm is a joke! You need a masters etc. to work for somebody else, come on?!!

Do the math. How long does it take you to go to college? How many years your spending in it (4-8 depending on a masters degree) and accruing interest on student loans.

Being in debt when you get out to start your new career and a slave to the banking system. You used to be able to bankrupt on all this debt but Clinton put a stop to all that because every doctor, dentist and lawyer were doing it. They new the game and would wipe out the 100k in debt.

People thinking 100k is "balling" are way out of touch. After taxes paid, then being re taxed on gas, food, entertainment, and everything else you do, the real tax rate is over 50%. So how is your 100k doing after paying your bills, fun, retirement program rent, mortgage, car payment, medical, unexpected expenses etc. etc. etc.?

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com