Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Inner Fender Lip (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Inner Fender Lip
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My inner lip is shaving a little of the outter sidewall, i have access to a die grinder, but what are the cons of using that method...i dont have access to a rolling tool btw

If i were to cut it, what type of sealant would i need to apply to the bare metal thats exposed, so it doesnt rust? Or will i still need to use a heat gun prior to cutting it?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BFH works great

--------------------
91' Notch

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cut the fender lip N you'll cut your tires instead of rubbing. Roll them!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
BFH works great

i think the BFH method applies to the inner fenderwell, right?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

i know that if i cut off enough of the fender lip, it will not touch at all because its only shaving probably mm's off, so if i take off a half inch, it should be all gravy...unless the rear end shifts, which it shouldnt.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This on your Convertible with the Pony Rs?

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

i know that if i cut off enough of the fender lip, it will not touch at all because its only shaving probably mm's off, so if i take off a half inch, it should be all gravy...unless the rear end shifts, which it shouldnt.
There's a guy on Corral who cut his on his fox and put new tires on and well he only made it around the block before he cut all the way thru the tire. And unless you're running aftermarket torque boxes your rear end will shift some.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

yes

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

yes
I didn't have any problems rubbing at all with my MT 275/40/17 drag radials on my coupe with the same rim setup, I didn't have the roll the fenders at all.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard just about every horror story out there about cutting the lip. I ignored them and cut mine a long time ago with ZERO problems, street tires and slicks. Do it right and you won't have any problems.

It must be done very carefully though because the cutoff wheel likes to ride up out of the cut and can ruin the outside paint. Take your time if you do it.

Around the top and part way down the inner lip cut right up against the inner wall.

[ 2014-03-05, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

I have the sumitomos on (cant recall the model) but maybe thats why i guess. The other side doesnt rub at all. My torque boxes are not abused either. Still good there.
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice drawing, John [Big Grin]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
Nice drawing, John [Big Grin]

Thanks! Pretty straight forward process and I think the drawing shows you ain't gonna cut any tires with this.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Took me a minute to figure what angle that was lol did you apply rustoleum to the bare metal after cutting?

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

quote:
Took me a minute to figure what angle that was lol did you apply rustoleum to the bare metal after cutting?

I ran masking tape on the outside along the cut and up to the cut line the just sprayed some flat black on the cut from inside the fender well.

The key is to maintain control of the Dremel, which is what I used, or that sucker will get away from you and you'll be pissed at me.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I would only cut it if you needed a lot of clearance, rolling fenders would be quicker and safer on a Foxbody, if you only need a little clearance, it would only take 10 minutes without taking the wheels off or jacking it up, the way I do it, but if need more clearance then the wheels will need to be removed

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would definitely get it rolled and not try to cut it. pay someone to do it, it's not much. it's cheaper than f'n up two tires.

if you're really on a budget, get a wooden baseball bat and a heat gun and go to work. use common sense and it can turn out decent.

[ 2014-03-05, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

Outlaw_Stangz
¯
Member # 3926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw_Stangz  Ford pictures for Outlaw_Stangz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just cut it. Be careful. I would not roll. Too much risk of damaging fender. Wavy fenders look awful.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
Originally posted by Outlaw_Stangz:
Just cut it. Be careful. I would not roll. Too much risk of damaging fender. Wavy fenders look awful.

Foxbodys and 99-04s would be really hard to give wavy fenders with a roller or a bat, now 94-98s is a different story, those years are very risky to get wavy fenders, I have been rolling fenders since 1989 and 94-98s are scary to do with a roller, I have been debating on what I am going to do with my 95, cut them or roll them.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Wht86drop
¯
Member # 12104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wht86drop  Ford pictures for Wht86drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Louisville Slugger!

--------------------
Jalapeña Red 86 GT Vert
Yellow 72 Chevelle
Rio Red 97 Cobra

High-Output Generations CC

Posts: 1669 | From: East Palo Alto, Fiji Islands | Registered: Jun 2012  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
I would only cut it if you needed a lot of clearance, rolling fenders would be quicker and safer on a Foxbody, if you only need a little clearance, it would only take 10 minutes without taking the wheels off or jacking it up, the way I do it, but if need more clearance then the wheels will need to be removed

hmm i dont really need that much clearance...how about cutting slits on either side of the fender lips, and folding the fender lip up? if i had to roll it, i would take it to you, lee...but its hard for me to set that up with my daily schedule, especially since my wife gives me crap everytime i say im doing something to my fox. So, i plan on doing this in autobody shop class that im in at ccsf...i wish they had a fender rolling tool, but no luck!
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bfh worked great, its rolled all the way up to where its touching the wheel well...wont leave any sharp edges either.

--------------------
91' Notch

Outlaw_Stangz
¯
Member # 3926

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outlaw_Stangz  Ford pictures for Outlaw_Stangz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you cut slits in the fender before rolling the paint will chip. If you need only a bit of clearence then rolling may be the way to go. I would cut and be done with it. Either way good luck.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
quote:

hmm i dont really need that much clearance...how about cutting slits on either side of the fender lips, and folding the fender lip up? if i had to roll it, i would take it to you, lee...but its hard for me to set that up with my daily schedule, especially since my wife gives me crap everytime i say im doing something to my fox. So, i plan on doing this in autobody shop class that im in at ccsf...i wish they had a fender rolling tool, but no luck!
You don't need to cut slits it to fold it up, if it only needs a little clearance, I can do it in 10 minutes, send me a pic of the tire that's rubbing.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com