Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Out of state vehicle registration question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Out of state vehicle registration question
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know what the process is if I were to buy a car from out of state and then register it here in CA?

What if the car was originally a CA car, was registered in another state for ~2 yrs, and then brought back to CA?

What does DMV physically look for, if anything, in order to have it registered here again?

Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get it smogged in CA, take it to dmv for an inspection, buy new plates and reg and you are good to go

--------------------
91' Notch

1Nasty66
¯
Member # 12991

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Nasty66  Ford pictures for 1Nasty66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:
get it smogged in CA, take it to dmv for an inspection, buy new plates and reg and you are good to go

exactly what he said and the dmv just looks at the vin and mileage to see that it matches the paperwork

[ 2014-02-11, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: will01bullitt ]

--------------------
2001 Bullitt DHG #2673 of 5582 built(sold)
1966 mustang 289

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by will01bullitt:
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0 LsX:

exactly what he said and the dmv just looks at the vin and mileage to see that it matches the paperwork
Yes the mileage issue is a big deal! Run carfax on it and make sure the mileage matches and is correct. if not its a nightmare!!!!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do they check for air bags, seat belts, etc?

--------------------

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Do they check for air bags, seat belts, etc?

yes, all lamps and safety must be functional

--------------------
91' Notch

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i registered a car from VA they looked at nothing but vin and engine bay for the ca state legal emissions crap sticker.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Fastertoys2
¯
Member # 12264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fastertoys2  Ford pictures for Fastertoys2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just registered all my cars to CA from AZ this week. They popped the hood to check for some sticker and checked the vin. They didn't check for any thing else. Pretty painless process.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info guys!

--------------------

thrashed
¯
Member # 9752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for thrashed  Ford pictures for thrashed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done this twice in the last few years. It's a two step process, you need to do a vin verification with the inspectors and then go to the counter for registration.

The first time I did it, I went to the counter first who gave me the VIN verification form, then had to wait a long time for inspection, then return to the counter. It took about 1/2 a day.

The second time I downloaded the form first, got in line for vehicle inspection at 7:30 am (was #2 in line) got the paperwork completed then went in for my appt. Was out of there in an hour.

You'll also need to have the title, current registration (Form REG343), bill of sale, & odometer disclosure (if less than 10 yrs old), smog if after 75 and the transfer paperwork completed.

Here's the link to the VIN verification form (complete the info ahead of time):

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg31.pdf

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Tim! Very helpful info, sir [patriot]

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its a truck it has to be weighed too, otherwise what he said

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ask Neight, he has the hook up. [Cool]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:

I was told he got hook ups on everything!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Need midget strippers, I got that too!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Need midget strippers, I got that too!
Neight just puts on a wig and he's ready to go! [Razz]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
eldog68
¯
Member # 12928

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eldog68  Ford pictures for eldog68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hard to get a hook up from a guy who does not answer his pms.
Posts: 263 | From: el Dorado hills | Registered: May 2013  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by eldog68:
hard to get a hook up from a guy who does not answer his pms.

Heard you gotta know the guy personally to get real good hook ups, I don't know just what I heard.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com