Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » new to cafords need some help/advice (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: new to cafords need some help/advice
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think the driveshaft would cause a vibration till like 55 , (unless your u joints are tottally shot. Or like said before the bolts are loose). With the most recent info I would jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands and block the front wheels . Get the tires to spin in the air and check to make sure they aren't wobbling. The wierd part is that you gave a couple different symptoms that point to different causes.
NK2186
¯
Member # 12319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NK2186  Ford pictures for NK2186    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome!

Did you install a new pilot bearing?

When i had my 1990 i had a vibration when i bought it... turned out the previous owner who put the engine in did not install a pilot bearing. It only vibrated at higher RPM's.

also when you put the driveshaft in did you mark it prior to removal and install the way it came out?

--------------------
90 LX 5.0 - Stolen/stripped
89 LX 5.0 - Stolen and missing as of 7-24-13. LIC# 4HIP151 :(
99 Cobra
00 Exploder

1990mustang
¯
Member # 12083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990mustang  Ford pictures for 1990mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NK2186:
Welcome!

Did you install a new pilot bearing?

When i had my 1990 i had a vibration when i bought it... turned out the previous owner who put the engine in did not install a pilot bearing. It only vibrated at higher RPM's.

also when you put the driveshaft in did you mark it prior to removal and install the way it came out?

I did nstall new pilot bearing amd when im at 3000rpms it starts to shake/vibrate

[ 2013-11-11, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: 1990mustang ]

--------------------
90 mustang 5.0 (sold)
91 mustang gt 5.0 (sold)
91 mustang 5.0(fobra) dd

1990mustang
¯
Member # 12083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990mustang  Ford pictures for 1990mustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89foxstang:
I don't think the driveshaft would cause a vibration till like 55 , (unless your u joints are tottally shot. Or like said before the bolts are loose). With the most recent info I would jack up the rear end and put it on jack stands and block the front wheels . Get the tires to spin in the air and check to make sure they aren't wobbling. The wierd part is that you gave a couple different symptoms that point to different causes.

When im getting aroung 55-65 it starts to vibrate

--------------------
90 mustang 5.0 (sold)
91 mustang gt 5.0 (sold)
91 mustang 5.0(fobra) dd

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like it is shaking in two different situations. During take off is going to be the clutch, and during the speeds you said it could be the drive shaft. Check bolts first.
A couple things to diagnose the higher speed vibration that will help narrow it down would be to put the rear of the car on jack stands. Take it up in speed where you usually get the vibration and try to replicate it. Inspect drive train while at speed. Take off parts like wheels then try at same speed, then drums etc.. After parts are taken off try to replicate vibration. My guess is drive shaft issue. Does it do it at those speeds when put in neutral?

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You touched just about everything that can cause vibration.
Where does it shake? Steering wheel,front end, look at your shifter does that shake too,
your rims may be bent or out of balance.
To save you money
Lift up your car and check all bolts are tightened? Including lug nuts.
Do you have a buddy that can test drive your car with his rims?
Do you have a buddy that will loan you a drive shaft?
Do what that other guy said about jacking the rear and. Gas it slowly while have someone checking for wobble.

Have someone drive along you the speed your car vibrates, and look at your wheels/rims, if its bad enough he will see one of your rims bouncing,wobbling,shaking etc. If its your wheels

If you feel comfortable state what city you stay in "beware some poeple believe thieves lurk on this site" yet some people will let you borrow parts and help work on your car in there free time if your in the area, also some members are mobile mechanics like my buddy "onefasthatch" jourdan that get yohr car running at reasonable prices

[ 2013-11-11, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
1990mustang
¯
Member # 12083

quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:
You touched just about everything that can cause vibration.
Where does it shake? Steering wheel,front end, look at your shifter does that shake too,
your rims may be bent or out of balance.
To save you money
Lift up your car and check all bolts are tightened? Including lug nuts.
Do you have a buddy that can test drive your car with his rims?
Do you have a buddy that will loan you a drive shaft?
Do what that other guy said about jacking the rear and. Gas it slowly while have someone checking for wobble.

Have someone drive along you the speed your car vibrates, and look at your wheels/rims, if its bad enough he will see one of your rims bouncing,wobbling,shaking etc. If its your wheels

If you feel comfortable state what city you stay in "beware some poeple believe thieves lurk on this site" yet some people will let you borrow parts and help work on your car in there free time if your in the area, also some members are mobile mechanics like my buddy "onefasthatch" jourdan that get yohr car running at reasonable prices

It shakes/vibrates on the shifter
Im gonna lift up and check if everything. Is bolted on tight
Im trying to solve the problem since its my only car and daily driver and i have a 8month old . Dont eant nothing to happen

--------------------
90 mustang 5.0 (sold)
91 mustang gt 5.0 (sold)
91 mustang 5.0(fobra) dd

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com