Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » For the 7.3 guys?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: For the 7.3 guys?
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know anything about diesels.
I'm seriously considering a 7.3 250 or maybe an Excursion. Wondering from people who know what to look out for and what maintenance should by done by what milage.
That way I can ask the right questions and don't look to naive about diesels.
I know they can be very expensive to fix and don't want to be stuck with a bad one
Thanks for any info [patriot]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7.3's weakest spot was the transmission, or torque converters. Ask if they've been replaced. If they have been replaced and the truck is stock, runs smooth etc, they are "generally" solid pieces

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
208k and running strong with 0 problems, with chip and bolt ons and raced alot.

only other problem was the torque converter, i put a triple disk in it and been fine ever since, i have 150k on it.

7.3 is the way to go, super reliable and will run forever and make plently of power for towing

id recommend doing a TS chip, intake with a dry filter (6637, afe, s&b) and 4 or 5" exhaust with or without muffler, and downpipe (if you buy 95-97) big improvement since they are turds stock

[ 2013-07-22, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: norcalfiddy ]

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
other things that are problems:

Fuel socks getting clogged, easy fix remove it and put a external filter on the frame.

Under valve cover harness short out. Updated ones from ford fix the problem.

CPS can be spotty.... always keep an extra in the glove box.

That being said, I love mine, its a low mileage 2001 lariat i got in utah. Plans for a DP tuner and a BTS tranny/converter.

Good luck tracking it down, there is a handful of dealers that are buying up low mileage ones and asking an arm and a leg for them.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks a lot for all the info. I need it for towing the track car and 4wd for snow.
The 5.4 can only do so much especially towing up and down the Sierras on 80, it's a dog

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah im happy with mine, wouldnt go back to a gas pickup. its lifted with 35's and i still get 13mpg average, did 18 mpg when driving highways from utah. Theres deals to be had, just be patient and you will find something.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
03 7.3 Here got it with 160K, its almost 200K now haven't had any problems. i put a bigger torque convert in it and had the trans rebuilt for piece of mind. DP Tune chip, 4 inch straight exhaust, AFE Stage 3 intake, Big Head Waste Gate accuator. i get 18mpg city, 20-26 freeway depending on if its mountainous or flat.

[ 2013-07-22, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Wildfire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And your families car runs 10's, right [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com