Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » IRS cover resealed

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: IRS cover resealed
1RaReSnAkE
¯
Member # 7951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaReSnAkE  Ford pictures for 1RaReSnAkE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone in San Jose know where I could get my IRS cover resealed? It currently has a leak and I want to fix it. If it comes out to be way to much, I might just do it myself.

--------------------
~2004 Torch Red Cobra~
Tuned by Bob Kurgan-3/22/2014

-2004 Silver Cobra'Tuned By Bob Kurgan'TOTALED R.I.P. 7/28/2013

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Rear End Specialties @ (408) 988-3619
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gotta remove the diff to accomplish this task...a shop shouldn't charge more than an hr labor or $100... If so there crooks...

[ 2013-07-09, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
1RaReSnAkE
¯
Member # 7951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaReSnAkE  Ford pictures for 1RaReSnAkE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I know. Tps wanted to charge me $550 to get it done! I was screw that, waaaaayyyy to expensive!

--------------------
~2004 Torch Red Cobra~

Krz88lx
¯
Member # 4261

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz88lx  Ford pictures for Krz88lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Gearsmasters off keys in San Jose they get down [patriot]

--------------------
Krz4rd5

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
Gotta remove the diff to accomplish this task...a shop shouldn't charge more than an hr labor or $100... If so there crooks...

The Labor time to remove and install the diff cover is 5 hours. In order to get the cover off, the IRS has to ripped apart; axels, brakes, braces and then you have to apply the sealant and put everything back together. No way in hell can all of that work be done in 1 hour.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
/\ I never said it can be done in an hour,I stated that this is a medium skilled job and a shop shouldn't be charging an arm and a leg to do this work..I got PLENTY IRS work experience and kno them very well,if it takes you 5 hrs for this job your a turtle.....

[ 2013-07-11, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
/\ I never said it can be done in an hour,I stated that this is a medium skilled job and a shop shouldn't be charging an arm and a leg to do this work..I got PLENTY IRS work experience and kno them very well,if it takes you 5 hrs for this job your a turtle.....

Like I said, book time to do the IRS cobra diff cover is 5 hours. How fast can you do an IRS cobra diff cover r&r?

I have totally overhauled the IRS in my car and I can say that 5 hours is a fair time.
remember that the brakes, axels, knuckles, IRS pumkin support braces all have to come off before you can even touch the cover. Once you get to the cover, you have to clean off the old sealant and then you can re seal it. Once you are done with that, you have to put the IRS all back together and add gear oil. It's quite a job to do and charging $500 worth of labor to do it is a fair price.

[ 2013-07-11, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Lol then your slow and a rip off if that's the case....OP bring me your car and time me on a diff cover re seal and ill post a thread showing cobra racer he's a joke..anyone who would pay $500 for a diff re seal on a IRS is a fool and I hope they got deep pockets to spend foolish money....

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

quote:
Lol then your slow and a rip off if that's the case....OP bring me your car and time me on a diff cover re seal and ill post a thread showing cobra racer he's a joke..anyone who would pay $500 for a diff re seal on a IRS is a fool and I hope they got deep pockets to spend foolish money....

I'm curious, how long would it take you to do an IRS cover reseal?

--------------------

1RaReSnAkE
¯
Member # 7951

quote:

When, where, and what time? I'm down....

--------------------
~2004 Torch Red Cobra~

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

2-2.5 hrs TOPS..at $100 that's $50 an hour,I'd say that's plenty fair of a price to pay......

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

PM sent OP...I need the work lol

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
2-2.5 hrs TOPS..at $100 that's $50 an hour,I'd say that's plenty fair of a price to pay......

You work to cheap Brandon I would charge 75 a hour an charge book time
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

A joe blow shade tree mechanic will have those prices but you think a shop is charging $50 an hour your a fool.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Lol far from a shade tree mechanic believe me,I only charge by the job on a small task like this,when it comes to a full motor or trans jobs yes i charge book time generally it's a different ball game fellas...and with fair prices brings a ton of work,high prices push people away cause they always think there's somembody else cheaper,without a buisness side job hustle isn't easy to be competitive...

[ 2013-07-11, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm talking about discounted work in general mostly. You own a shop and only charge about $50? With rent and all that's hard to keep the lights on.

--------------------
The anti-crew

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

/\ never claimed to own a shop [Confused] I work out of a shop thats a buisness and when it's slow I bring in side work on top of the normal day to day work.....

[ 2013-07-11, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

quote:

Congratulations. 2.5 hours is faster than I can do it. By the way, an average Bay area automotive repair shop hourly labor rate is $100. Furthermore, the book time to R&R a Cobra IRS diff cover is 5.5 hours.

A shop that quotes 2.5 hours at $50 for a Cobra IRS cover reseal job would go broke if kept underestimating jobs so low like that. LOL

--------------------

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

/\ dude seriously your fuckn annoying..I DON'T have a shop this is all side work prices,like stated before if you pay that much for a diff cover service your a fuckn moron,I have no doubts your one of these idiots that pay top dollar for work u can get done for HALF the price else wear,buisness's charge $100 an hour to stay in the mix,I charge what I charge and it has zero affect in anyone but a happy customer,so go fuck yourself [Roll Eyes]

[ 2013-07-11, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

People get what they pay for.

--------------------
The anti-crew

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

[Roll Eyes] na people get WHO they pay for big difference when it comes to labor and not parts...

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

True

--------------------
The anti-crew

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
/\ dude seriously your fuckn annoying..I DON'T have a shop this is all side work prices,like stated before if you pay that much for a diff cover service your a fuckn moron,I have no doubts your one of these idiots that pay top dollar for work u can get done for HALF the price else wear,buisness's charge $100 an hour to stay in the mix,I charge what I charge and it has zero affect in anyone but a happy customer,so go fuck yourself [Roll Eyes]

Brandon janet a ford tech I doubt he pays anyone to work on his ride.but dude needs to calm down an stop telling grow men how to live there lives an how to spend there money.
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Lol same shit different day,never changes......

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com