Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » for everyone that says cats dont go bad with no smog pump

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: for everyone that says cats dont go bad with no smog pump
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I CALL BULL SHIT!!!!!!the capris cats are overheating and now make noise
 -

[ 2013-06-20, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: moeofit32 ]

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who said it doesn't go bad? I could've told you what happened! lol Did you experience the jerkin N POP?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a feeling it was true but we had this mid pipe on the car so we left it.....someone on a thread in tech talk swore they didnt tho lol

--------------------

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smog pump just pumps air (oxygen) to the cats to light them up/make them run hotter faster to cut down on smog. Im not sure this post is really conclusive that no air pump kills cats
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

quote:
Originally posted by MauriSSio:
Smog pump just pumps air (oxygen) to the cats to light them up/make them run hotter faster to cut down on smog. Im not sure this post is really conclusive that no air pump kills cats

so why does this happen then?ppl say that thats not why......but never has a answer

[ 2013-06-20, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: moeofit32 ]

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 2005 GMC 2500HD with 6.0 gas has no smog pump with cats. My dads hemi dodge has no smog pump with cats.........

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
My 2005 GMC 2500HD with 6.0 gas has no smog pump with cats. My dads hemi dodge has no smog pump with cats.........

Listen this Capri trumps all non believers. Hail the Capri!

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Lol das rite.....so nobody knows why this happens?

--------------------

89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Did those cars come stock with smog pumps and you took them off? If so then I could agree with your point, but I THINK (not 100% if I'm wrong forgive me lol!) these cars rely on the smog pump to light the cat off. Kinda like stoking a fire with one of those bellows. If the cat doesn't get hot enough to light off its gonna soot up. I think those newer cars are able to adjust the a/f ratio to replace the actual pump.
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by moeofit32:
Lol das rite.....so nobody knows why this happens?

its because your black

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89foxstang:
quote:

Did those cars come stock with smog pumps and you took them off? If so then I could agree with your point, but I THINK (not 100% if I'm wrong forgive me lol!) these cars rely on the smog pump to light the cat off. Kinda like stoking a fire with one of those bellows. If the cat doesn't get hot enough to light off its gonna soot up. I think those newer cars are able to adjust the a/f ratio to replace the actual pump.
They use electric pumps but I dont have one, somebody removed it and my dad's hemi truck doesn't either

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I that pipe glowing red hot?

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

yes sir....i was doing some research and found that if your running richer then the cats can handle this is what happens....car does need to be tuned as i can smell gas coming from the exhaust

--------------------

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by moeofit32:
yes sir....i was doing some research and found that if your running richer then the cats can handle this is what happens....car does need to be tuned as i can smell gas coming from the exhaust

Prolly unburnt fuel re igniting inside the cat

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com