Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » I just got hired , As a Tech..... (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just got hired , As a Tech.....
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MACK.GT:
Any advise From those who have been In my shoes would be coo. Thanks CA Fords .......

Run for the hills! Quit now while you are young! The automotive trade can be a tough way to make a living and it pays less than the electrical and plumbing trades. Furthermore Compared to the plumbing and electrical trades, the Auto techs have to invest a ton in tools.

Good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about congratulations.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been turning a wrench for over 15 years now and can tell you its a hard job. Remember you'll never be the best tech. Be humble if you walk in there like you know everything you probably wont be there long. Looks into retirement know. Your not going to be able to do it till your 65. I would head the negative advice others have given and get out now. If you can open your own shop do it. but with warranties going to 100k miles and services going to 5000 mile intervals. It's going to crap. where did you get hired at?

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IMO, The only way to be successful in the automotive trade is working for yourself. You already have to buy the tools and such. Auto mechanics isnt an easy job at all, Yet you have to do all that work for $14-16/hr while the dealership is charging $100 an hour for labor. Its BS. Atleast on your own, You can open up a side business and work for yourself and get all the money that youre breaking your back for.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
I've been turning a wrench for over 15 years now and can tell you its a hard job. Remember you'll never be the best tech. Be humble if you walk in there like you know everything you probably wont be there long. Looks into retirement know. Your not going to be able to do it till your 65. I would head the negative advice others have given and get out now. If you can open your own shop do it. but with warranties going to 100k miles and services going to 5000 mile intervals. It's going to crap. where did you get hired at?

I got hired at some place called meineke in fairfield, they let me go after a week talking I was making too much money as a lube tech at some$15 and NO BENEFITS. And as you may know it was over 100* all week. Its coo though cuz I got 2 more job offers this week. And they BOTH have benifits, and I dont have to pay bridge toll to get to either one of them. I have to decide now whether to try to work both for awhile of just the better of the two only....I was really bummed out and pissed , but as that door closed not one but TWO better ones opened up for me.
MACK.GT
¯
Member # 10461

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MACK.GT  Ford pictures for MACK.GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
quote:
Originally posted by MACK.GT:
Any advise From those who have been In my shoes would be coo. Thanks CA Fords .......

Run for the hills! Quit now while you are young! The automotive trade can be a tough way to make a living and it pays less than the electrical and plumbing trades. Furthermore Compared to the plumbing and electrical trades, the Auto techs have to invest a ton in tools.

Good luck! [patriot]

Thanks for the good luck wish, I like buying tools still though at this point, still get my student discount too. I seen that it was indeed tough , all last week all I did was sweat and be greasy all day long.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com