Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » New Prototype Adjustable Upper Control Arms For Fox Mustangs (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Prototype Adjustable Upper Control Arms For Fox Mustangs
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, I've wanted to get a set of upper control arms for my Mustang for awhile now, but I thought the nice adjustables were a little too expensive. I told my buddy who has a custom fab shop here in Sacramento and he started looking into getting parts for the arms.

Now it's a couple months later and this is what we've got. Single adjustable upper control arms for Fox Mustangs. They give you the ability to adjust 1" total. 1/2" longer or shorter than the stock control arm length.

-Made In Sacramento, CA USA

-The set pictured is made from 250 dom and 250 plate steel with laser cut ends. MIG Welded. We are going to get his TIG welder up soon for new sets. Also will be looking into powder coating options.

-Price will be $160 per set

What do you guys think?

Opinions Shared So Far:
-Longer Heim Joint Thread Capacity for strength
-Double Jamb Nuts so they dont loosen
-Hassle to adjust due to single adjustable

-

Also, if you need any sort of Custom Fab/Welding etc they do it all. Sub Frame Connectors, Sheet Metal Work, Mini Tubs

Sacramento Kounty Kustoms
4536 auburn blvd ste f, Sacramento, CA.
(916) 993-8553

Behind TAP Plastics and Rex Hutchison Race Engines

[ November 02, 2012, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They look good but I say give them to someone who is at 7th every time there's a function and see how they hold up. I wouldn't buy them for price and looks. Give them to someone who has the ability to brake them and then you can put a price on them.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LXjames:
They look good but I say give them to someone who is at 7th every time there's a function and see how they hold up. I wouldn't buy them for price and looks. Give them to someone who has the ability to brake them and then you can put a price on them.

Good ideas for sure. I plan on putting them to the test asap in my car as soon as my Turbo50 Motor is broken in and the weather is clear. I'm probably somewhere around the 400 rwhp level, so it's a good first test.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What the advantage of having adjustable upper control arms ?
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 87droptop50:

You can adjust your pinion angle for different applications.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87droptop50:

pinion angle, larger tires iirc
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never had adjustable uppers. My tubular upper/lowers with wild rides torque boxes work good enough for me.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your going to want two nuts so can jam together so the dont come loose on you
SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

or since he lives in sac he can hit the race track and really give em a beating
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by SETONKILL:
Your going to want two nuts so can jam together so the dont come loose on you

Good idea as well

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by SwEeT 03 Gt:
quote:

or since he lives in sac he can hit the race track and really give em a beating
This is the plan. I have slicks already waiting to be put on.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
I've never had adjustable uppers. My tubular upper/lowers with wild rides torque boxes work good enough for me.

I had southside machine(iirc) box control arms with poly bushings(no heim joints or spherical bushings) on my last 5.0 and I had major suspension bind that would all of a sudden let loose and send me into the next lane of traffic. That's why we wanted to go with the heim joint setup. Also looking into making adjustable lower arms with adjustable spring perches etc

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:

I had southside machine(iirc) box control arms with poly bushings(no heim joints or spherical bushings) on my last 5.0 and I had major suspension bind that would all of a sudden let loose and send me into the next lane of traffic. That's why we wanted to go with the heim joint setup. Also looking into making adjustable lower arms with adjustable spring perches etc
Oh I see. I can change the pinion angle with my torque boxes I have, does that eliminate the need for adjustable uppers?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh I see. I can change the pinion angle with my torque boxes I have, does that eliminate the need for adjustable uppers?
That would be an interesting setup to see. I've never seen adjustable torque boxes before.

I would say it may lessen, but not eliminate the need for adjustable uppers. With this set of uppers I will now have adjustable uppers and lowers, so I have more ability to experiment with angles since I have more adjustment range.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not bad, but they will take longer to adjust since they are only a single adjustment, you will have to unbolt one end to adjust. With a double adjustable upper control arms you don't have to unbolt them to adjust. For $160 I would be worried on how long they will last, because if you use a cheap heim joint, they will oval out.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That would be an interesting setup to see. I've never seen adjustable torque boxes before.

I would say it may lessen, but not eliminate the need for adjustable uppers. With this set of uppers I will now have adjustable uppers and lowers, so I have more ability to experiment with angles since I have more adjustment range.

These are the ones I have.
http://wildridesracecars.com/store/product.php?productid=16211&cat=249&bestseller=Y

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Not bad, but they will take longer to adjust since they are only a single adjustment, you will have to unbolt one end to adjust. With a double adjustable upper control arms you don't have to unbolt them to adjust. For $160 I would be worried on how long they will last, because if you use a cheap heim joint, they will oval out.

He says these are 28,000 load rated and the same that they usebon bagged trucks for years without any problems

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need some lowers made, basically same idea as the uppers but a delrin rear bushing and heim up front an no spring perch as I have rear coilovers! Also my car has over 700hp and will really be putting them to test! Maybe I will grab the uppers too! I have the same style ones from another company now but for testing purposes I can run the whole set! I'll hit u up!

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R:
I need some lowers made, basically same idea as the uppers but a delrin rear bushing and heim up front an no spring perch as I have rear coilovers! Also my car has over 700hp and will really be putting them to test! Maybe I will grab the uppers too! I have the same style ones from another company now but for testing purposes I can run the whole set! I'll hit u up!

We plan on getting into lowers pretty quick here too. Gotta get some testing on the uppers first

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are they powder coated?

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Are they powder coated?

Dan

This initial set is not powder coated. Just rattle can. If there is enough interest and people want to purchase sets we will work on getting them powder coated for sure.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Brandonn
CAFords OG
Member # 632

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandonn  Ford pictures for Brandonn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

He says these are 28,000 load rated and the same that they usebon bagged trucks for years without any problems
The problem with that is a bagged truck wont put the same kinda load on them as your car with slicks and a stick will. in a bagged truck they dont see have the abuse they will in a race car. they may be fine is a 400 hp car but they dont look to have enough thread engagement to hold up to heavy drag racing
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by Brandonn:
quote:
quote:

The problem with that is a bagged truck wont put the same kinda load on them as your car with slicks and a stick will. in a bagged truck they dont see have the abuse they will in a race car. they may be fine is a 400 hp car but they dont look to have enough thread engagement to hold up to heavy drag racing
We will see. This is why we're going to test them out prior to selling them. With a working load limit of 28,000lbs and my Coupe weighing in at around 2975lbs I would think it's a pretty safe bet, but again that's why we're gonna test them first.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandonn:
quote:
quote:

We will see. This is why we're going to test them out prior to selling them. With a working load limit of 28,000lbs and my Coupe weighing in at around 2975lbs I would think it's a pretty safe bet, but again that's why we're gonna test them first.
Brandonn, I agree, you should tell them who you work for.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

If necessary we can just get a heim joint with longer threads for strength. Mike thinks they will hold up just fine unless over 800hp, so we will test them to find out.

Thanks for the opinions guys keep them coming. We would like to put these into production soon.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com