Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » buyin a house (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: buyin a house
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how did you guys proceed on ways of buyin a house [Confused]

what things can i use to help me?
what things do i need to look out for?
who has the best loan rates. fixed or no?

[Confused]

any info helps thanks

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Talk to a realator. Get pre approved and look for a house

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:

im in the process of doing that, i just cant belive how much fuckin money you have to spend [Frown]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

nando50lx
¯
Member # 8295

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for nando50lx  Ford pictures for nando50lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just recently purchased a home..I went through fha loan.
I went through a lender who advised us through process.clean up your debt cuz it will affect your debt to income ratio.I qualified for 80 grand but I didn't have 5 grand in bank sitting for 90 days.tried process over again in Jan this year.qualified for 100 grand.better options in homes.I cleaned up the little debt I had..found a,home.pit in offer offer was in.as of April I own a home.fixed rate at 4.75 % .
Includes property tax and home insurance.
Note if your spouse has crap for credit it Will affect u even though they are not applying.

Posts: 117 | From: cencal, CA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There's alot to consider when buying a home. Definitely go with a fixed rate mortgage loan so that way you don't have to worry about it going up on you years later. I bought a home in 2008, I paid cash though. The market was better back then but has gotten better for buyers and worse for sellers nowadays. So I'd say it's a good time to buy. Just make sure that you can afford it in the long run.

[ May 07, 2012, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: RONIN ]

nando50lx
¯
Member # 8295

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for nando50lx  Ford pictures for nando50lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ May 07, 2012, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: nando50lx ]

Posts: 117 | From: cencal, CA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should have a min of 3.5% down in a bank account, 2 or 3 lines of credit(trade lines) open for at least 12-24 months, be in the same line of work for 2 years or a degree with a job in the field your degree is in and you should be ready.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best the worst home in the best neighborhood yiu can afford. Don't buy the nicest home in a crap neighborhood.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My first loan is with Wellsfargo and I'm looking for a second loan and I'm going with wellsfargo. I really like hwo I was treaded, Rates were good. Also I can pay my payment today and it will be posted in 30 minutes (online).

I would say becareful. Find a house and research it. Look up yahoo realstate and you can find out how much that house is valued at, last price sold and more info. If you qualify go with a 30 year fix (if you can).

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how did you guys proceed on ways of buyin a house
-research the area where u wanna live and get a feel for the prices, have a stable job, have a healthy 20% down payment(+ closing costs) to avoid PMI or higher rates of going with other loan types like FHA, have excellent credit, favorable debt to income ratio, find a realtor that has many years of experience in the field and preferably find one with real reviews and feedback from their clientele, same goes for a loan brokaer, if at all possible stay away from short sales unless youre willing to go in on the long haul accepting the risk your efforts might not pay off.

home buying obviously is a big financial obligation so make sure youre finding the right house and youre prepared financially to take it on.

-research a lot and talk to many who have gone through the process. i used zillow, redfin, trulia, zip realtor as tools to look up mls and look up comps. another useful tool i used was propertyshark which allows you to look up the property stats like previous owners, assessments, sales prices, bank lienholder, etc.

-look out for craters in the foundation or police crime scene tape, dead bodies in the basement. those sorts of things.

-difficult to answer as this will depend on the time of day, broker you go with and how healthy your application is.

good luck

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It doesn't sound like you know much about the topic and cafords probably is not the best source.

Go to websites like redfin, trulia, zillow, and realtor.com to start reading about the topic.

I just went to google.com and typed in "what is home buying process"

http://homebuying.about.com/od/buyingahome/qt/121907_buy-path.htm

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
-research the area where u wanna live and get a feel for the prices, have a stable job, have a healthy 20% down payment(+ closing costs) to avoid PMI or higher rates of going with other loan types like FHA, have excellent credit, favorable debt to income ratio, find a realtor that has many years of experience in the field and preferably find one with real reviews and feedback from their clientele, same goes for a loan brokaer, if at all possible stay away from short sales unless youre willing to go in on the long haul accepting the risk your efforts might not pay off.

home buying obviously is a big financial obligation so make sure youre finding the right house and youre prepared financially to take it on.

-research a lot and talk to many who have gone through the process. i used zillow, redfin, trulia, zip realtor as tools to look up mls and look up comps. another useful tool i used was propertyshark which allows you to look up the property stats like previous owners, assessments, sales prices, bank lienholder, etc.

-look out for craters in the foundation or police crime scene tape, dead bodies in the basement. those sorts of things.

-difficult to answer as this will depend on the time of day, broker you go with and how healthy your application is.

good luck

THANKS BRO [patriot]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:

good luck

THANKS BRO [patriot]
That is very useful! [patriot]

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:

im in the process of doing that, i just cant belive how much fuckin money you have to spend [Frown]
YUP.. i paid 170k for my first house and all together i had to come up with about 12k, and they paid closing cost. This was with first time home buyer as well. Any my FHA loan is 3% fixed for 30 years

[ May 07, 2012, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: 68dustin ]

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the wife and I bought our first home in newark in july of last year, which was a short sale/ fixer upper. Its in a court with side access so it was worth the remodel. Down payment and a top credit score (mine was 799) is highly needed. It took us only 3 weeks to get our keys from the time we made a offer. Be patience during this process because it is a waiting game for sure. Good luck. 4.25% fixed for the win. Im sure its lower now. BTW, we had a FHA loan.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should hire someone to help you handle the affairs, I haven't bought a house but I've hard of Hella back door shit today they try and charge people with
DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont rush into a house. Take your time, dont settle. The right house will come to you. It takes time. I found my house, but it was a short sale. I decided to wait becuase it was exactly what I was looking for. 9 months later I got the keys. I did however never stop looking for another house. I always kept my options opened. look for dry rot, mold, and just plain nastyness, those are red flags
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
LSFairmont
¯
Member # 6001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSFairmont  Ford pictures for LSFairmont    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the process of doing the same and my girl is a realtor so she told me i can put down 0.50% as first time buyer and of course the house has to be FHA
Posts: 3652 | From: the land of the lost | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
You should hire someone to help you handle the affairs, I haven't bought a house but I've hard of Hella back door shit today they try and charge people with

Things have changed a lot since 2004-2006. Go with a FHA 30 year fixed and you'll be fine. Last time I checked rates were around 3.75/3.875% but mortgage insurance just went up as of April 1st.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the process of buying a house also... It's definitely unhealthy, but it has become a bit of an obsession, especially, with the wife being pregnant. The area in which I am looking (Roseville/ Placer) is very competitive and there is a huge shortage on inventory. I've been pre-approved for an FHA loan with a rate of 3.75%...

You have to be careful though. We had an accepted offer and were in contract, but the deal fell through on the appraisal after it under appraised. Now, we're out $500 for the appraisal fee.

I do I my own market research in between viewing houses...

Market/ Mortgage Rate:

http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/mortgage_rates/

Mortgage Calculator (PITI):

http://www.realestateabc.com/calculators/PITI.htm

Property Listings:

http://www.redfin.com/home

State of CA First Time Home Buyer Down Payment Assistance:

http://www.calhfa.ca.gov/homebuyer/programs/chdap.htm

Misc. Good websites I find useful:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/houseafford/houseafford.html

http://www.movoto.com/mapsearch.aspx#MoveResult&Roseville$044&38.73804676327655,38.7710451056197,-121.36011749774173,-121.29402786761477,14&Area_0|Roseville|CA|102plc0019/MinPrice_ 225000/MaxPrice_300000/MinBedroom_3/MinBathrooms_2/PropertyType_1/ListingType_0/SortBy_0/PriceReduced_0/HasPhotos_1/HasPool_0/NewListing_0/HasOpenDate_0/MetroArea_1/&38.75454784137 1284,-121.32707268267825,14/

http://www.zillow.com/

There are a few other sites, but I cannot find them right now...

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much are you trying to spend? How much do you make? you might be able to qualify for a BMR program (below market rate) my friend got into a bmr condo for 200k, it's worth like 450-5 but if he ever sells has to give pretty much half back to the program, but it's a good help to first time buyers and great way to build your credit. Find a realator who truely has a passion for helping people find a home, they will point you in all the right directions. if your in the bay area I can reccomend a great sales team.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
first thing you need to do is grow up, lol j/k.
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe the minimum credit score needed for a fha loan is 620. They will require 3.5% down and will require mortgage insurance with any down payment under 20% (will make your monthly payment a little higher). The lender will want to see your tax returns for the last two years. Bank statements for atleast 6 months checking/savings. They will ask you for your paystubs. Those are some examples,there is no generic list as each lender has their own requirements.

You need you sit down and think if its what you really want. Its a big responsibility time wise and financially. Aside from your down payment you should have atleast 10k set aside. You will need to buy a fridge,furniture,misc upgrades,paint the list goes on and on. It adds up so fast its crazy.

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Best the worst home in the best neighborhood yiu can afford. Don't buy the nicest home in a crap neighborhood.

This is the best advice I've seen. You can remodel the house but you can't change the neighborhood. Once you get through the mortgage BS and figure out what you qualify for start looking on Redfin for houses in your desired area and price range. Compile a list of homes and take it to your realtor. He may want to show you other similar homes which is fine but don't let him push you into a home or neighborhood you don't want. Avoid short sales like the plague. It's a nightmare dealing with them, I know from personal experience.
SSF_5.0_WARRIOR
¯
Member # 10170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR  Ford pictures for SSF_5.0_WARRIOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by adower:

This is the best advice I've seen. You can remodel the house but you can't change the neighborhood. Once you get through the mortgage BS and figure out what you qualify for start looking on Redfin for houses in your desired area and price range. Compile a list of homes and take it to your realtor. He may want to show you other similar homes which is fine but don't let him push you into a home or neighborhood you don't want. Avoid short sales like the plague. It's a nightmare dealing with them, I know from personal experience.
I also liked this advise
[Big Grin]

-Preparing to buy a home also sometime hopefully soon. Need to get my credit up a bit more and better my debt to ratio but yea goodluck bro.

Posts: 952 | From: South San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com