Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Debt from higher education.... (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Debt from higher education....
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on your career. For me, obtaining my Bachelor's = 10% pay increase, which also bumps up my retirement.

Debating on a Master's degree, it wouldn't be an immediate finacial gain, but promotion opportunity. Plus I could teach on the side.

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice.. Seems like this guys is going to do it all.. Keep both jobs and knock out school online....

if you plan on getting into engineering i dont know how effective an online program(if it even exists) will be. check back in about a year on how much you love engineering. better brush up on your physics and calc, LE and DiffEQ if you wanna hang. [Razz]
Well.. The OP said he is done with most of his major lower div. So he should be good to go all the way through Diff-EQ.

Calculus should be as second nature as algebra by now...

I'm not sure of CE's here in California have to take Fluid/Thermo, etc? Fluid isn't something to take lightly.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice.. Seems like this guys is going to do it all.. Keep both jobs and knock out school online....

if you plan on getting into engineering i dont know how effective an online program(if it even exists) will be. check back in about a year on how much you love engineering. better brush up on your physics and calc, LE and DiffEQ if you wanna hang. [Razz]
I can not take all my required classes online but can take a big portion of them left online.. The more specific ones are in-class only.... Physics and calculus I'll brush up on but they now steer students away from that major early on if they can't hang... Hopefully one day I'll be posting up my degree

[ April 26, 2012, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: cali95gt ]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
finance EVERYTHING...graduate quicker...then go here

http://www.bacpc.net/#overview

cuz if you DONT...she WILL !!!!

http://youtu.be/pY88cm0ggHQ

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stay away from Loans, look for grants, and scholarships. If you are messing with loans, once you do find a good job, pay it off as fast as possible, in hopes of building better credit.

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
If your not going for a degree in a specialized field or for more than a 4 year degree than you are just another person with a useless piece of paper. I don't have a degree and don't plan on getting one.

Work experience > non specialized degree

That could be true depending on the field you're working in. A friend of mine got laid off from our company. He had 7 years experience, was a team lead, great worker... But didn't have a degree. He applied at many places, but was told by 95% of them, they can't hire him even though he'd be a perfect fit because he didn't have a degree. Some companies and positions, a degree is required.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To answer the OP's question, my total 4 years of school was somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k. My company helped out with about $20k. I paid another $7k out of my pocket and had another $23k in loans.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tell me how much you want to make for a living and this should help answer all your questions [Wink] . 75k/yr ain't much these days which is sad. young dudes might feel like their pockets are fat, but this topic won't really hit you until your early to mid 30s. only until then, you'll realize that you should have gone for gold instead of settling for just OK. like i said in my previous post, decide which guy you want to be and know that the shit i mentioned might not make any sense right now, but it will. i promise you [patriot] .
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're looking to take on more debt for school, just check in with the federal govt loan structure, which they've changed recently (and on beginning this June/July)

The govt has either disallowed or decreased the amt of student loan expense you can deduct from AGI, and, loans being disbursed in either June or July of this year (can't remember), they no longer offer subsidized loans, which means any/all govt loans you take out will accrue interest from the minute they are disbursed, unlike the older-style subsidized loans, which only began to accrue interest when the payback period was due.

I'm in school full-time and don't really have a choice but to take loans. I spent my savings account doing post-bacc work, so I'm 100% govt funded now. That said, I'll graduated with around $330k in principal - ridiculous, but I hope it'll pay off some day. Bottom line is, as far as I see it - you'll always owe someone something - a bank note for a house, a car, etc - so find something you think you'll really enjoy doing everyday and go after it.

Hope this can be helpful.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This question has been answered many times before on this board. Get with it, and finish school.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rigo5.0:
This question has been answered many times before on this board. Get with it, and finish school.

+1...just do it and be done with it. Even if you know people who can supposedly "hook you up" with a good job, theres nothing like the feeling of accomplishment. Plus, that little piece of paper will go a long ways.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

89notchBack
¯
Member # 11198

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89notchBack  Ford pictures for 89notchBack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just finished paying my student loans off 22k i finished making my last payment last month. so happy to be able to spend that monthly paynent on the stang now

--------------------
93 notch
96 gt (sold)
98 gt (broken)
89 notch(sold)
2000 mustang gt (sold)

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
finish school...make yourself more marketable.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tha91SiCkNeSs:
quote:
quote:

Well.. The OP said he is done with most of his major lower div. So he should be good to go all the way through Diff-EQ.

Calculus should be as second nature as algebra by now...

I'm not sure of CE's here in California have to take Fluid/Thermo, etc? Fluid isn't something to take lightly.

hmm...from what i recall fluid and thermo were required classes for ME and CE and luckily as an EE i didnt have to take that. we have our fair share of crappy(as in challenging) classes as well.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I owe about $110,000 in student loans.

I have a

BS in Mechanical Engineering
MS in Mechanical Engineering
and an MBA

People are always scared of student loans but in my opinion if you get a good degree (not some BS in Art) the loans are well worth it!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com