Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Debt from higher education.... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Debt from higher education....
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so I keep reading these article about graduates leaving school in $50k debt no less... My question is who here has graduated from school with big debts in to student loans? I'm currently a student but took this semester off to work more, I already have an evening job... I'm making more than most college graduates do now and I'm not even done yet...

School isn't a a nessecarry requirement for me to be promoted at my permanent job but it does look better... Is it worth it???

[ April 26, 2012, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: cali95gt ]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
as you know its a proven fact that on avg those w/ an edjumacation end up finding jobs faster and have higher salaries vs those w/out a college degree.

it sure is damn worth it if you make the best of it and apply yourself after.

graduate and eventually youll see some cha-ching in your bank account. LOL
[Wink]

[ April 26, 2012, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
as you know its a proven fact that on avg those w/ an edjumacation end up finding jobs faster and have higher salaries vs those w/out a college degree.

[Wink]

What if I already have cha-Ching in there lol... I just want to know if that piece of paper is worth the debt... If I didn't already have a job then I'd be more pushed to finish school.. Maybe keep both jobs and finish up online/slowly... No rush anymore....

--------------------

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't pull any loans if you don't need to

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
triple black hatch
CAFords OG
Member # 5420

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple black hatch  Ford pictures for triple black hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's always good to have to have a back up plan in case your job goes down hill.
Posts: 1409 | From: (650)-(209) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by triple black hatch:
It's always good to have to have a back up plan in case your job goes down hill.

Very true... That's why I'll slowly finish it..

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
Don't pull any loans if you don't need to

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont, but my wife does. Depending on what job you get coming out of school, it may or may not be worth it. I know for her, it was well worth the debt with the income that she makes.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might think and feel like you're making decent money right now especially compared to other college students, but it won't last for long.

if you're comparing you working two jobs(i think that's what i read from what you wrote) to some student committing themselves to school full time then of course you have money in your pockets right now.

unless you're making at the min. 75k a year where you're currently at, get that degree and make use of it. you'll blow by those who were making 50-60k a year while you were in school <---- this could be you or this could happen to you. you decide. don't settle for just "OK", strive to do more than expected. set some high goals for yourself and don't rationalize your own thinking.

bottom line is, yes that stupid piece of paper is worth it if really want to make good money. however, don't work for others for the rest of your life. companies will spit you out when they can hire younger, newer, smarter, and cheaper grad students. plan wisely and branch off into your own business.

i forgot to add that when i graduated in '05, i owed about 18k from loans. i took only what i needed and payed it off in 2yrs.

[ April 26, 2012, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In this day and age a bachelors is like a diploma. You usually need it to just get in the door at most corporate jobs. I am really thinking of getting my masters online while I work but don't know if it will be worth the debt.

SO YES, FINISH SCHOOL! [patriot]

[ April 26, 2012, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: SEMPERFI510 ]

Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
you might think and feel like you're making decent money right now especially compared to other college students, but it won't last for long.

if you're comparing you working two jobs(i think that's what i read from what you wrote) to some student committing themselves to school full time then of course you have money in your pockets right now.

unless you're making at the min. 75k a year where you're currently at, get that degree and make use of it. you'll blow by those who were making 50-60k a year while you were in school <---- this could be you or this could happen to you. you decide. don't settle for just "OK", strive to do more than expected. set some high goals for yourself and don't rationalize your own thinking.

bottom line is, yes that stupid piece of paper is worth it if really want to make good money. however, don't work for others for the rest of your life. companies will spit you out when they can hire younger, newer, smarter, and cheaper grad students. plan wisely and branch off into your own business.

i forgot to add that when i graduated in '05, i owed about 18k from loans. i took only what i needed and payed it off in 2yrs.

That's some good advice.. I'm comparing myself to some who has just graduated from college and got an entry-level job.... Not someone who is struggling through school...

Seems like I may lean to doing what I'm doing now and finishing school up online.. Two birds and one stone!! Lol

--------------------

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:

[Wink]

What if I already have cha-Ching in there lol... I just want to know if that piece of paper is worth the debt... If I didn't already have a job then I'd be more pushed to finish school.. Maybe keep both jobs and finish up online/slowly... No rush anymore....
well that cha-ching is all relative so if you're happy where u r today and questioning the worth of going to school then u probably are already leaning towards making a decision to skip out on school. i can tell u now, what i thought was a satisfying/sufficient income back then while in college is totally off from my views today.

i like the idea of working while youre in school if you can handle the work load. i did the same thing which added about 1 year to my graduation(finished in 5 years) but i have no regrets on the path i took. had money to spend while in college and still went through the process of actually finishing. LOL.

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your not going for a degree in a specialized field or for more than a 4 year degree than you are just another person with a useless piece of paper. I don't have a degree and don't plan on getting one.

Work experience > non specialized degree

[ April 26, 2012, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: 915.0gt ]

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

maybe u should state what your career goals are and what field u intend on working in? if you plan on racking up a healthy debt in theology but planned on working at costco maybe an edjumacation wouldnt make financial sense. if you planned on being a scientist or doctor you probably have no other choice. LOL

also wouldnt be fair for those who havent gone through the process to comment. he is looking for feedback from those who have accumulated major debt from school loans and on whether it was worth while in the end after you graduated and were released into the real world.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
If your not going for a degree in a specialized field or for more than a 4 year degree than you are just another person with a useless piece of paper. I don't have a degree and don't plan on getting one.

Actually I agree with this. I generally try to push an education. But if you are going to school to get a B.S. in Underwater Basket Weaving, stay at your current job.

If you are getting a degree in a specialized occupation, it is DEFINITELY worth it.

If you are getting a BA/BS in Business, Psych., etc., make sure you are getting a graduate degree in something. Or you have some sort of "special" skill that puts you apart from the whole. Degrees like Psych, Business, etc., are a dime-a-dozen.

Specialized occupation (undergrad) can be defined as :

Engineering (all disciplines), Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics. Maybe add some other science degrees like Bio, Chem, etc. but many of the good Bio and/or chem students are in some sort of Engineering related curriculum.

For graduate programs, specialized occupation can be defined as:

M.D. (Medical Doctor), J.D.(Juris Doctorate), Engineering (all disciplines), Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

i agree, but it goes both ways. You could be fine without one, but you could be screwed at some point and you could be fine with one, or not be able to find a job with one.

I think you're plan of working and finishing online is solid. I dont have a degree, but i have 12 years experience in what i do and 8 in my particular industry. But i almost didn't get a job with my current company because "they usually only hire graduates"....

Being able to say "i have xx years experience AND i have a relative degree makes hiring you an easy decision. Now if you had a degree and no experience, that's a lot harder...

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Posts: 287 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

quote:
maybe u should state what your career goals are and what field u intend on working in? if you plan on racking up a healthy debt in theology but planned on working at costco maybe an edjumacation wouldnt make financial sense. if you planned on being a scientist or doctor you probably have no other choice. LOL

also wouldnt be fair for those who havent gone through the process to comment. he is looking for feedback from those who have accumulated major debt from school loans and on whether it was worth while in the end after you graduated and were released into the real world.

Thanks I am looking for real world experience... My current major is Civil Engineering. I have already completed all my General Education and most lower division for the major.... My original plan when I was 18 years old was to hurry up and graduate and get my foot in the door by working for CalTrans.. Branching off shortly afterwards...
However I started working at UPS and slowly moved up the ladder, picked up a day job also... I have 4 years invested in this company and wouldn't mind changing my major to some sort of business management/finance so I could move in to upper management, being in lower management sucks lol. It wouldn't be much of a set back since I'd have most of my classes for that lower division also complete, give or take a few... Or I could just wait around and become a driver, they make $75k easily and I wouldn't need to continue school...
They will cover most of the cost of school but I'm pretty sure they won't cover everything. If I switch to business/finance than a masters program is most def a must... Is it worth it???

[ April 26, 2012, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: cali95gt ]

--------------------

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

quote:
quote:

Thanks I am looking for real world experience... My current major is Civil Engineering. I have already completed all my General Education and most lower division for the major.... My original plan when I was 18 years old was to hurry up and graduate and get my foot in the door by working for CalTrans.. Branching off shortly afterwards...
However I started working at UPS and slowly moved up the ladder, picked up a day job also... I have 4 years invested in this company and wouldn't mind changing my major to some sort of business management/finance so I could move in to upper management, being in lower management sucks lol. It wouldn't be much of a set back since I'd have most of my classes for that lower division also complete, give or take a few... Or I could just wait around and become a driver, they make $75k easily and I wouldn't need to continue school...
They will cover most of the cost of school but I'm pretty sure they won't cover everything. If I switch to business/finance than a masters program is most def a must... Is it worth it???

if i was in your shoes, id finish up school and get into either of the fields you mention. youll extend your ceiling a lot higher than putting your time into ups. dont get me wrong, a job in ups aint bad if thats what youre going for but you have a lot more options and are more marketable in the job place w/ a degree.
since you're already half way through why not just finish up another 2 years of studies and get that bachelors? seems to me you're thinking right now and not looking at the bigger picture and what the benefits are in making the sacrifice now. another thought...its not uncommon for companies to fund your education costs if you decide to go for an advanced degree.

if you think that 75k ups salary is satisfying youll blow a wad if you find out how much more youll be making in those fields you mentioned. just do more research.

civil is actually not a bad field to get into as youll have a lot more immuninity from losing your job to overseas outsourcing as a CE typically needs to be on site.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Seeing how I do my own hiring and see all of the people with degrees that are applying for a minimum wage retail job because they can't find anything else and that both of my bosses have degrees that they don't use I would have to say that i'm defiantly qualified to comment on the wasteful spending of college students that are in major debt and are in the situation that they will be paying off those debts for the rest of their lives
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

My dads sister is a professional ce. She makes at least 120k a year. You would be a dummy if you chose truck driving over ce especially if you have the smarts.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

if i was in your shoes, id finish up school and get into either of the fields you mention. youll extend your ceiling a lot higher than putting your time into ups. dont get me wrong, a job in ups aint bad if thats what youre going for but you have a lot more options and are more marketable in the job place w/ a degree.
since you're already half way through why not just finish up another 2 years of studies and get that bachelors? seems to me you're thinking right now and not looking at the bigger picture and what the benefits are in making the sacrifice now. another thought...its not uncommon for companies to fund your education costs if you decide to go for an advanced degree.

if you think that 75k ups salary is satisfying youll blow a wad if you find out how much more youll be making in those fields you mentioned. just do more research.

civil is actually not a bad field to get into as youll have a lot more immuninity from losing your job to overseas outsourcing as a CE typically needs to be on site.

This.

Look at the bigger picture. 75k is nothing. Plus it's not always about the money.

The job is much more satisfying. People who are engineering majors generally enjoy challenges, problem solving, accomplishing big projects, etc. It's a mentally rewarding profession.

Compare that to driving a truck all day. You listen to the radio and deliver packages.

I'd rather put a hand in building the new bay bridge than drive in a truck all day for 75k.

There is a little caveat too.. (This is my opinion though), if you get an engineering/computer science degree, you are capabale of doing almost any other job. Whereas, someone who isn't in the engineering field will have a hard time beginning a career in engineering.

So if down the road, you don't like CE, it's MUCH easier to cross-train to something else.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

quote:
quote:

Seeing how I do my own hiring and see all of the people with degrees that are applying for a minimum wage retail job because they can't find anything else and that both of my bosses have degrees that they don't use I would have to say that i'm defiantly qualified to comment on the wasteful spending of college students that are in major debt and are in the situation that they will be paying off those debts for the rest of their lives
Just because a student graduates from college doesn't mean that he/she made the best decisions in going/while going to school. That person could have majored in Basket Weaving or maybe that person didn't apply themselves enough to guarantee a job upon graduation.

Whatever the case, it's a fallacy to blanket statement that most grads are wasting money on an education.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

myzticsnake
¯
Member # 9334

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for myzticsnake  Ford pictures for myzticsnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just finished my Masters degree and took on some debt. I got a new job within 3 months of graduating and the salary increase I got will pay for cost of my degree in 1.5 years.

Money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice.. Seems like this guys is going to do it all.. Keep both jobs and knock out school online....

--------------------

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

quote:
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice.. Seems like this guys is going to do it all.. Keep both jobs and knock out school online....

if you plan on getting into engineering i dont know how effective an online program(if it even exists) will be. check back in about a year on how much you love engineering. better brush up on your physics and calc, LE and DiffEQ if you wanna hang. [Razz]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com