Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Painted my side mirrors

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Painted my side mirrors
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the day off and was bored so I painted my mirrors. I thought one can was enough to get both, but it wasn't and had some thin spots. . . Still came out decent though.

My pseudo cobra mirrors.

-

-

-

[ April 09, 2012, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks good, I was gonna do the same thing.
Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chavez66  Ford pictures for Chavez66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good stuff bro, I'm actually thinking of doin the same thing to my 97 cobra. Deff don't want to spend so much money on cobra mirrors

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Posts: 1694 | From: Dont worry about it | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chavez66:
Good stuff bro, I'm actually thinking of doin the same thing to my 97 cobra. Deff don't want to spend so much money on cobra mirrors

Yeah, didn't want to spend $300 on the mirrors plus paint. . .

I did this for $25 lol.

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What a trip i was just outside looking what i can do with my 01 GT mirrors and i log on to cafords and the first thing that popped up was your thread. Did you only use steel wool to sand down the surface or did you use something else also? What paint did you use and how were the results? sorry for all the question's haha. They look really nice bro and im deff digging your idea. I think i just might have to give mine a try also [Big Grin] [patriot]

[ April 09, 2012, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: ISP89LX ]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

quote:
Originally posted by ISP89LX:
What a trip i was just outside looking what i can do with my 01 GT mirrors and i log on to cafords and the first thing that popped up was your thread. Did you only use steel wool to sand down the surface or did you use something else also? What paint did you use and how were the results? sorry for all the question's haha. They look really nice bro and im deff digging your idea. I think i just might have to give mine a try also [Big Grin] [patriot]

Yeah just steel wool to smooth down the mirrors. Then I wiped them down with paper towels and rubbing alcohol. You could also use wet sanding paper, but I didn't bother since I'm lazy.

I grabbed one can of dupli-color spray paint and clear coat. I recommend two of each though since mine came out a little thin, but they still came out pretty clean.

[ April 09, 2012, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

ISP89LX
¯
Member # 8949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ISP89LX  Ford pictures for ISP89LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rio1999GT:
quote:

Yeah just steel wool to smooth down the mirrors. Then I wiped them down with paper towels and rubbing alcohol. You could also use wet sanding paper, but I didn't bother since I'm lazy.

I grabbed one can of dupli-color spray paint and clear coat. I recommend two of each though since mine came out a little thin, but they still came out pretty clean.

Nice! Seem's pretty easy so i'm going to give it a try haha. Thanks for your feedback bro and good job i love minor details like this and it gives the car a completely different stance.
[patriot]

--------------------
89LX
Turbo50built!!!
Wait, he jacked my shit!!!
"Dan will make It rite" THIEF!

Posts: 2997 | From: Nowhere to be found. | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Chavez66
¯
Member # 9812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chavez66  Ford pictures for Chavez66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rio1999GT:
quote:

Nice! Seem's pretty easy so i'm going to give it a try haha. Thanks for your feedback bro and good job i love minor details like this and it gives the car a completely different stance.
[patriot]

Yea I've got a couple cans of paint left over from when I painted my cam covers so I'm going to do this, is it hard to take off the mirrors? And what grit steel wool did you use

[ April 09, 2012, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Chavez66 ]

--------------------
WWW.50Reasonscarclub.com

Posts: 1694 | From: Dont worry about it | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

I had to partially take off the door panels to unplug the connector for the side mirror. Other than that it's just three bolts holding it in.

I used coarse steel wool. After wiping down the mirrors I shot them 3 coats each, 10 mins apart. Then waited about 45mins before shooting the clear. Used a razor to help peel off the tape to keep the lines. Then after about an hour put them back on the car.

[ April 10, 2012, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com