Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Bike for commuting? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bike for commuting?
EVLSONC
¯
Member # 6172

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for EVLSONC  Ford pictures for EVLSONC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with a lot of people about out the risks associated with riding. And that's why the course is great because they explain how to control the bike in different situations and what to look for. Luckily I haven't had one incident since I started riding and I ride every day.I have meetings in scotts valley every month and take 17 with no problems. And those drivers are bad. I know it will eventually happen but ur riding style will determine when. I enjoy the bike but i am also very cautious. Always leave enough room ahead of u. Stay out of people's blind spot. Always be aware of what going on especially at intersections. If ur not aggressive and ride cautiously ur chances of going down are less. Trust me. I see a lot of bad riders on my commute. Just plain riding like morons. Splitting lanes at 70+ and passing people very dangerously. Those are the kind of riders that get in accidents. Don't be discouraged because I was for a long time and now that I have a bike I wished I got one years ago. Like I stated ride safely and you'll be fine.

--------------------
03 Sonic Blue Cobra

Rio1999GT
¯
Member # 9231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio1999GT  Ford pictures for Rio1999GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlackNGold:
I used a Ninja 250 for commuting for almost a year...It was great fun!...

It's a slimmer bike so, lane splitting is easier than a Harley...It was heavy for a small bike, but lighter than a 600, so it was easier to maneuver..I could out ride quite a few 600's on Mines road [Wink] ...Top speed 110 once, for some reason I could only hit 104-5 after that, lol (messed up carb?(wasn't my bike))...More power is better right?...But my point with the top speed is everyone says to get a bigger faster bike, well I think a stock 250 is good for mid 14's in the 1/4, how fast do you plan on goin in traffic???...Remember if you make a mistake on a faster bike, your crash will be faster too...I ride a 2011 GSX-R 750 now, and in traffic it is a waste of a sport bike...I think comfort should be more of an importance when choosing your first bike, especially on a longer commute...

On the down side, if you plan on commuting over the Altamont, then forget a 250...It will blow all over the place and you'll need more torque on the up hills...On a side note, one day the brake pads on the 250 wore low and came out and got stuck in the forks...Luckly I was just down the street from my house when it happened...It could have been all BAD!...

I think it depends on your skill level, but for a first bike I don't see that much wrong with a 250...
just my .02

So a person who actually has experience on a 250 lol. . . Yeah, I'm not looking to go fast at all. It's for fuel economy. I've seen a few get over 100mpg and that's amazing.

What I'm most likely going to do is get a 250 to start off with and drive that around town. Drive to and from work which both are less than a few miles away. My other commute to Oakland from Antioch will be in my mustang until I get comfy on a bike.

I can always resell the 250 and move up, not that big a deal.

[ April 04, 2012, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Rio1999GT ]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com