Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Supercharger vs turbo

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Supercharger vs turbo
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know there are hundreds of threads on this topic, im just to lazy to look... Well, question is turbo vs supercharger.. Smog is a thing of the past... the car is a 93 lx, 140k, good compression, auto(soon to be 5speed).. Stock heads, cam and intake(soon to be upgraded), oh and 3 73s.. Does a turbocharged windsor still have daily driven capabilities?? Wat about turbo lag? Cornoil, and turbo dan chime in fellas... Thanks ahead of time cafords

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I knew that motherfucker was automatic!!!!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
find a cartech kit cal legal and makes good power

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

65mustang408
¯
Member # 8681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65mustang408  Ford pictures for 65mustang408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol damn just do your self a favor and go finance something fast already! If you havent figured out how a air pump works yet (you have been here a while now) than you obviously you haveto horrible learning capabilities. Good luck bro [burnout]

--------------------
fast and cool shit

Posts: 947 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
dubfive-0
¯
Member # 8965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dubfive-0  Ford pictures for dubfive-0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Find yourself a 5 speed! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1966 FALCON futura (sports coupe)
1991 five-0

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 65mustang408:
Lol damn just do your self a favor and go finance something fast already! If you havent figured out how a air pump works yet (you have been here a while now) than you obviously you haveto horrible learning capabilities. Good luck bro [burnout]

Wtf is this supposed to mean?? Obviously you can read... Keep the smart ass comments to ur self.. Especially if ur knowledge about what i asked is limited.. Hence the reason i asked for cornoil and turbo dan to chime in..

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You got the vert back from Aaron huh do the turbo and keep motor stock [Wink]

[ April 03, 2012, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol ^^^

Good luck finding a Ca cartech kit, they're hard to come by and usually really expensive when you can find one.

Supercharger ( centrifugal type ) Pros and Cons

Pros

1. Some are smog legal
2. Not much lag in boost
3.Can increase boost pressure by simply a change of pullies
4.Easy install
6.Drivability

Cons

1.Most are noisy
2.Not as efficient as a Roots/Twin screw S/C
3.Belt slippage is a pain
4. Most are not intercooled

Turbo

Pros

1. With the same amount of boost as a Supercharger a turbocharged engine will make more power because it is more effiecent at maximizing power per lb. of boost.

2.Don't have to worry about belts, like with an s/c

3.You can pick a turbo with an A/R ratio that will determine where your turbo spools at .. At what RPM

Cons

1. Smog is a pain

2. Installions are more technical and time consuming

3. Most you have to delete the smog pump, ac and sometimes power steering.

4.Usually have to have a modified downpipe and catback if want to run stock style exhaust.

That's just a few of the pro's and con's there is alot more to consider, like what are your plans for the car, what power are shooting for. Smog is what has been holding me back from a turbo setup.

1SLW4DR
¯
Member # 11498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLW4DR  Ford pictures for 1SLW4DR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://files.sharenator.com/lozGr_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s360x240-181194-580.gif

--------------------
03 mercury marauder

TireSmokingHooligan.

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
You got the vert back from Aaron huh do the turbo and keep motor stock [Wink]

Lol... Damn, cats outta the bag.. But, if i have to delete power steering and ac, dont know if its worth it... I think the on3 kits allow you keep the ac and p/s pump just have to delete the smog.. Smog wont be an issue where im moving... And keep in mind the nearest track is atleast 185miles away so idk if turbos will over heat or not..

--------------------

Thugnificent

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black_Sedan281:
 -

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto wtf???????

-

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:
Auto wtf???????

-

The gears picked it up ALOT! But still slow as hell lol... 5speed is the second thing on my list... #1 subframes, torque boxes, strut tower braces... Then 5speed!

--------------------

Thugnificent

Anderthizzle
¯
Member # 7910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anderthizzle  Ford pictures for Anderthizzle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:
Originally posted by 65mustang408:

Wtf is this supposed to mean?? Obviously you can read... Keep the smart ass comments to ur self.. Especially if ur knowledge about what i asked is limited.. Hence the reason i asked for cornoil and turbo dan to chime in..
Then if you just wanted cornoil and Dans opinion why didn't you just pm them [Confused] And I hope your first upgrade is new tail lights.are you gOnna start Oregonfords.com?
Posts: 1056 | From: Here and there | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Wtf... Why yall always bashing my tailights¿? Yall better get used to seeing them [patriot] [burnout]

--------------------

Thugnificent

19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
Wtf... Why yall always bashing my tailights¿? Yall better get used to seeing them [patriot] [burnout]

Right.. Since we all know you're goin to be soooo fast.. Stop wasting time and buy something already fast since you clearly know nothing about it..

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Hmmm... I see this has turned into a bash hilltim54 thread... thanks to everybody that actually gave me some if tbe answers i was looking for..

--------------------

Thugnificent

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I suggest you be a simple car like a Prius lol... You seem to not understand much when it comes to building and car. Even if you buy one already fast you'd prob run it in to the ground or in to a wall lol...

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
88cobraclone
¯
Member # 10958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88cobraclone  Ford pictures for 88cobraclone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
I suggest you be a simple car like a Prius lol... You seem to not understand much when it comes to building and car. Even if you buy one already fast you'd prob run it in to the ground or in to a wall lol...

Lmaol!!!!! Goodluck bro on building you 50 all I can say..... [dance]
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You guys are dicks...but at the same time make up your mind..lol a turbocharger will make more power with less psi then a supercharger..also most kits come with a intercooler..no load on the #1 bearing from the belt..a turbo will blow a supercharged car out the water..building boost off the line will require a 2 step or transbrake..as far as boost lag a properly sized turbo will spool fast enough the make it complicated to drive on the street..but for you Tim you should just slap on a vortech s trim..a turbo kit may be a huge pain in the ass to a person who isn't to mechanically inclined..goodluck
Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before you get too balls deep into a Windsor project (like I am) keep an open mind on running different combos. If you're going to do a nice Windsor setup you might want to look into a Coyote swap. Turbo the Coyote engine and be deep into the nines and you'll be able to drive it the 185 miles each way to the track and back.

Or if you're going to do a Windsor, assuming you're going to use a stock block, I would turbo it. Blowers are hard on stock blocks, a turbo will be a lot easier on it and as everyone has stated they're more efficient and make more power lbs for lbs.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jaejae5.0:
but for you Tim you should just slap on a vortech s trim..a turbo kit may be a huge pain in the ass to a person who isn't to mechanically inclined..goodluck

+1

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cartech has never had a smog legal turbo kit. Icon is the only smog legal turbo kit and arent made any more, hard to find used. Turbos don't like a lot of gear, 3:27 or 3:55s would be the best gear setup. I would keep the Mustang an automatic to see the full benefit of a Turbo but it will have to be a built automatic. Turbo lag won't be a problem with a good converter. If going run it at the track, a MSD two step is a most to make boost off the line otherwise you will hate the turbo lag. Also there is no need to run exhaust after the downpipe, it makes max power that way, cheaper, and really not that loud. Turbos will make great power with a stock cam, more than the stock block can handle when using a stock cam. Drivability will be better when using a turbo due the use of close to stock gears and stock cam.

[ April 03, 2012, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: racsirx ]

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com