Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » “Built” - Misused Word? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: “Built” - Misused Word?
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
quote:
I don't necessarily agree, if it puts down a good amount of power and can handle it without breaking, I consider that "built".

So would you consider the new gt500 bone stock motors "built"
No I wouldn't, I'm talking about a vehicle with aftermarket parts that is reliable and puts down some serious power.

My brothers Terminator has a 2.9L Whipple running on E-85 stock long block that puts down 764RWHP and 668RWTQ, would you call that stock, not built or lightly modded?

My new 408W has fully forged internals, TFS CNC'd 225 highports and I will be throwing about 12psi at it with a stock block. Should be around a reliable 650+RWHP, would you consider this stock, not built or lightly modded?

I wouldnt call the Terminator built since nothing in the motor has been touched. Putting a whipple on those cars is like doing an intake swap on other stangs but the 408 is definitely built.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I don't necessarily agree, if it puts down a good amount of power and can handle it without breaking, I consider that "built".

No I wouldn't, I'm talking about a vehicle with aftermarket parts that is reliable and puts down some serious power.

My brothers Terminator has a 2.9L Whipple running on E-85 stock long block that puts down 764RWHP and 668RWTQ, would you call that stock, not built or lightly modded?

My new 408W has fully forged internals, TFS CNC'd 225 highports and I will be throwing about 12psi at it with a stock block. Should be around a reliable 650+RWHP, would you consider this stock, not built or lightly modded?

I wouldnt call the Terminator built since nothing in the motor has been touched. Putting a whipple on those cars is like doing an intake swap on other stangs but the 408 is definitely built.
Ok I can agree with that [Razz]

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess my drop isn't built ... Oh well ... I guess ima have to go 351 dart block to fit in

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To me anything BUILT means you had to do more than take a few bolts or off, hence why they call h/c/i "bolt-ons". Also, to be built IMO the parts being replaced(ex.pistons,rods,cam,injectors,fuel rails, bolts) must be of higher quality than the OEM parts. Otherwise, it is just a RE-Build.

Also, you have to take into account that there are differences between Fully-Built to just Built and etc.

Just my 2 cents

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
 -

I tried clicking on it but it didn't work??

[Big Grin] +1

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JUNKYARD5.0:
To me anything BUILT means you had to do more than take a few bolts or off, hence why they call h/c/i "bolt-ons". Also, to be built IMO the parts being replaced(ex.pistons,rods,cam,injectors,fuel rails, bolts) must be of higher quality than the OEM parts. Otherwise, it is just a RE-Build.

Also, you have to take into account that there are differences between Fully-Built to just Built and etc.

Just my 2 cents

+1000 well said!

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
92 ssp
¯
Member # 8013

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92 ssp  Ford pictures for 92 ssp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So if the only thing stock on your car is the body lol.. everything esle as motor as boss block ,transmission,subspension,roll cage,fuel system, mean fully built???

--------------------
President of Highways Car Club est 2004
1993 coupe "The Beast"
2004 Mercedes s500 amg

If u don't know about me u must be a nobody lol...

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92 ssp:
So if the only thing stock on your car is the body lol.. everything esle as motor as boss block ,transmission,subspension,roll cage,fuel system, mean fully built???

Why is everyone trying to make hypothetical situations, and find loop holes for the word built. It's not like you're going to get a certificate saying the CAFords community approves your car as being built or not.

Like I said, anything that takes more than removing bolts and putting them on, like welding, cutting, buying aftermarket parts like headers, k-members, motor mounts, and everything to make your drivetrain application fit on your body and etc is built.

lastly, this is a CAR forum, if members on here don't know built vs non-built then we have a problem.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Build
1.to construct (especially something complex) by assembling and joining parts or materials: to build a house.

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thank you!! I'm glad this was brought up. I posted this in somebodies for sale add the other day and by no means meant it in a bad way but when you call a car with H/C/I and some suspension fully built I feel a slap in the face that my all motor 11 sec 93 cobra wasn't IMO a fully built car andthe only thing left factory on it was brakes andthe engine block itself. It is way too loosely used of a term and seems to be a matter of perspective
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL you still mad cuz i used the word built referring to my car How about this sentence I fucking took a 4 cyl mustang and used my own hands and BUILT it up! I put the cobra brake swap, master cylinder swap, engine swap, computer swap, fuel line swap, brake line swap, BUILT the motor yes its has upgraded internals I have upgraded my 5 spd to a Tremec 3550 BUILT the rear end I did all thats shit I I there fore have the right to say I BUILT that shit....you want to come and flame my post about not being buit then start this flame thread when YOU probly havent BUILT shit...BUILT BUILT BUILT lol

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet the only reason your so mad about that word is cuz you never turned a wrench before and bought some wanna-be "built" shit that any real racing mother fucker would know the difference from...cuz we BUILD are own shit and don't buy it

--------------------
2004 tahoe

SAV SVT
¯
Member # 7848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV SVT  Ford pictures for SAV SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck it Im STOCK!! [Confused]

Stock Block
Stock Heads
Stock Intake

92 ssp
¯
Member # 8013

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 92 ssp  Ford pictures for 92 ssp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Triple b to me that's a full car built lol... to me the only people who question built cars are people that buy cars from the dealership that say muscle car on the brochure lol.. people who buy car they seen on tv an spend $1000 on a tune an say the car was built people who know me know I get my car from nothing an seen me outside putting in the hours to say I'm built my shit .. so if its not stock its built [worship]

--------------------
President of Highways Car Club est 2004
1993 coupe "The Beast"
2004 Mercedes s500 amg

If u don't know about me u must be a nobody lol...

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Shit u got me! I still didn't list all the parts I've put into my car yeah let alone the time to wrench on that the counts less trips to Kargen auto and autozone

--------------------
2004 tahoe

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Shit u got me! I still didn't list all the parts I've put into my car yeah let alone the time to wrench on that the counts less trips to Kargen auto and autozone

--------------------
2004 tahoe

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I LOVE my REbuilt 302, even tho ive only put 1.5 miles on it lol, but it was REbuilt by Turbo50 and Ssf50 lmao [Big Grin] [patriot] [Razz]

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
Y2K 281
¯
Member # 10132

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Y2K 281  Ford pictures for Y2K 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Built IMO represents replacing the majority of vital components with stronger components. So if an engine is built the block is obviously cleaned up or new, rotating assembly is forged or stronger than stock. When referring to the trans and rear end i would say the transmission needs to be rebuilt with better stronger components and the same goes for the rear end (31 spline axles, beefier diff, etc.) Until you have replaced major components with much stronger stuff, your shit ain't "built"
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BUILT = upgrading the internals with aftermarket parts to hold high horsepower! Non stock internals(stock block Block/caseing ok)

Modded= bolt on parts to support or add horsepower! Usually attached to the stock/original block/caseings! Not inside the block/case!

Stock= as the whole car came from the factory! Dont wanna hear ur car is stock and has full exhaust, gears, and pulleys! Sorry now ur modded or mildly modded!

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Lol so i guess a 2004 mustang that had a elite mechanic install and build that engine with a forged Kellogg crank forged rods and diamond pistons would not be considered built!? I guess a Lamborghini or Ferrari is not built either bcuz they came factory stock blowing the doors off lol this thread is point less

--------------------
2004 tahoe

1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a fully built...... TOILET SEAT.. MMR estimated to handle 2500AP (Ass Power)... NOW THATS BUILT [dance]

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who cares

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

bullitt3513
¯
Member # 10473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bullitt3513  Ford pictures for bullitt3513    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

thats an expensive intake [Smile]

--------------------
03 SVT Zinc Cobra

ItzStock
¯
Member # 9665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItzStock  Ford pictures for ItzStock    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68gtscode:
Am I alone feeling that the word “built” is the most misused word on this forum? To answer this question, I suppose we need to define “built” in regard to Mustangs. I don’t feel a 5.0 (pushrod) engine is “built” if it has uses the stock 2 bolt block. I don’t feel a rear end is “built” if it has 28 spline axles and/or 4 lug wheels. I don’t feel a transmission is “built” if it has a 10 spline input shaft. From a lot of posts that I read on this forum, I believe most of you disagree with me.

Discuss…

I have a 2 bolt block and still run 4 lug, and i run in the 9's. Is my car "Built"?

[ January 08, 2012, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: ItzStock ]

Posts: 1394 | From: Vallejo, Ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
Just_a_GT
¯
Member # 10372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just_a_GT  Ford pictures for Just_a_GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BUILT!!!!!!
 -

--------------------
1990 GT 308 edelbrock alum heads Daily driver
2000 GT CAMMED 281ci

Posts: 697 | From: Winton, CA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 79 cobra:
so a stock block with afr heads/custom cam/ holley intake/forged eagle crank/eagle h-beam rods/diamond pistons/ fully blueprinted and balanced is not built?????

or how about a tko 500 with 10 spline and faceplatted gears from liberty thats not built???

or how about a 8.8 rear end with 28 spline/spooled/moser axles/4 lug to me thats built
Just cause you dont have a stock block or stock 10 spline or 28 spline axels I
not trying to stt a argument but just because its the stock block or a rear end has 4 lug or a tranny has a 10 spline they still kan be built rember u get what you pay for

Just because you don't have a stock block and 10 spline trans and 28 spline axels is why you feel this way I'm sure if it has upgraded internals then by definition it's built how far it's built or how much you spend on these parts is another subject but still doesn't change the fact it is built

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com