Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Hand gun opinions? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hand gun opinions?
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gray03gt:
A Ruger MK3 is the quintessential gun to learn on and enjoy for many years. 10rd semi-auto all metal .22lr that's very accurate. Many long time gun guys still shoot the MK3's or other .22lr quite a bit. 500rds is about $20 and it will kill someone if needed.

Next is either a 9mm or .38spl. Both of these are fairly cheap to shoot and pack enough punch to defend yourself with. For simple,accurate,reliable, $500 will get you a nice new glock or cz75. Both are accurate, good to take to the range, and can defend you.

I personally like to shoot revolvers as they are very accurate and have great triggers. A fullsize N frame with 4-6" barrel will be far more accurate than the auto's. You can switch between .357 mag and .38spl in any .357 revolver. That way you can shoot .38 at the range and save money and then load .357mag for home defense. These revolvers will shoot out to 100+ yards on a man size target all day long. .357 magnum is about twice as powerful as .45acp

The most accurate, best handling "cheap" guns would be the glock 34, Cz75b, or CZ shadow. If your set on an auto 9, don't get anything less than a 5 inch barrel. It will be far more accurate and much nicer to shoot.

Dude ... comparing a .357 to a 45acp is like comparing apples and oranges. The 45 has tremendous stopping power while a .357 has extreme penetration power . And for home defense a .357 magnum is not ideal in the least bit . Have you ever fired a weapon in a house hold ? I have , at an intruder . And it was only a .22 lr and that itty bitty round went through my living room and into my garage (penetrated one wall) and stopped in a freezer . So if a 22 lr can do that you could imagine how many walls .357 mag would go through.
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be heading to the range first. If I need to raise my budget, that's fine. Just have to save up a little extra. I'm not too concerned on bullet cost since chances are that I won't go to the range very often. That's a big difference in prices though. I read a lot about stopping power but if you can't handle the gun, missing your target is not going to help stop anyone. Im sure a well placed 22 would do the trick too. I may have to wait till tax time anyway so plenty of time to research and try stuff out. My mistress (aka mustang) has been taking all my play money lately!
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
walther p22. nice little gun can be had for about $500. since its a 22lr ammo is dirt cheap. about $9 at walmart for 100 rounds of the good shit. which you should use in this gun. people tend to have jaming problems with the cheap stuff, but walther recomends good cci ammo and i have never had a problem with mine.

.22 is the way to go if you want something fun to shoot. for about $40 bucks of ammo you can shoot for few hours.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for your price range and you want an auto loading pistol id keep an eye on some of the S&W M&P models as they go on sale a lot http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_750001_750051_757781_-1_Y
Or look at Sac Black Rifle they get a lot of low use Glock trade -ins. seriously go and try a few out before buying if you have the means near by.and for god sakes buy a full size pistol if you plan on hitting the range a lot.

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
SVTGhoust
¯
Member # 20

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTGhoust  Ford pictures for SVTGhoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My recommendation would be a Springfield XD in either a .40 or a .45.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500 / 2020 Shelby GT500

Posts: 962 | From: Brentwood, CA 94513 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For range fun, I would go with a ruger Mark series. They take any .22lr you throw in them without problems. I have had mine for a while now. This is the best gun for range fun, ammo is cheap and the perfect gun to learn it does get boring after a while though. Its gone through 3,000+ rounds, without any issues.For Home protection......nothing does it better than a 12 guage pump.

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
gray03gt
¯
Member # 6427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gray03gt  Ford pictures for gray03gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[/qb][/QUOTE]Dude ... comparing a .357 to a 45acp is like comparing apples and oranges. The 45 has tremendous stopping power while a .357 has extreme penetration power . And for home defense a .357 magnum is not ideal in the least bit . Have you ever fired a weapon in a house hold ? I have , at an intruder . And it was only a .22 lr and that itty bitty round went through my living room and into my garage (penetrated one wall) and stopped in a freezer . So if a 22 lr can do that you could imagine how many walls .357 mag would go through. [/QB][/QUOTE]

.357 is more powerful in every way than .45acp. You could load any .357 revolver with your choice of .38spl and it would be close to 9mm power if you wanted less. .22lr can go through many inches of plywood also, what's your point? Should the poster get a pellet gun?

For the OP, Try a bunch of guns (Bullseye in Marin has a good selection) I'd go with a 5" gun, shoot a few sizes and see what you like.

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Reading all these posts and OP's idea I'm wondering why people keep talking about 22LR? I mean yeah cheap bullets and available everywhere but so is 9mm. Honestly like most people say go shoot and try things out but people saying 22LR is the way to go for a first gun is like telling people who are looking into a Mustang that you have to start with a V6. You are right well placed rounds are more effective then large caliber rounds that miss but I gotta tell ya in my house if there were to be an intruder last thing I'm reaching for is my Ruger 10.22.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
87MclarenMustang
¯
Member # 10695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87MclarenMustang  Ford pictures for 87MclarenMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Imo you can't go wrong with a 1911. It was the first gun I ever shot and I've been a fan ever since. There's a reason its been a utilized weapon by the military and law enforcement for so long...

--------------------
Formerly 07SilverS197

Posts: 1282 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Feb 2011  |  :
alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cant lose with glocks i love them have 2 have had 4 i just seem to shoot better with glocks over other brands
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They have glocks out here in Stockton for 329 at a few shops if your on a budget that will be your best bet...I paid 359 seven years ago for my Taurus pt145 and it's not nearly as good of a gun but I love it [Wink]

[ November 29, 2011, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Big block 66 f100 ]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you like revolvers you can look for SMITH & WESSON'S model 60{.38cal},model 19 {shoots wide range of rounds .38 .38+p .357 .357 magnum}, model 29 is a .44 magnum not for the faint of heart this one is my favorate [dance] I bought these to start with and my addiction to guns is worse than haroine If you like the houge look of moddern guns I would look at a KIMBER RAPTOR 1911{higher end} You can never go wrong with a COLT 1911 in .45 acp cal I just picked up a GSG 1911 in .22 cal and it acts identical to my COLT 1911 I reload and cast all of my own ammo so its super cheap to go out and run thruogh 1500 rounds a session. STAY AWAY FROM THE TAURUS BRAND THAY ARE ABSOLUTE JUNK SHOOT LIKE SHIT AND DONT HOLD ANY VALUE
http://youtu.be/bvCw9HSJ87M

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If ur looking for a super reliable gun and pretty Damn accurate gun for an awesome price, look at the ruger p95. It's a great first gun and can be had for 350 or cheaper. I bought my p95dc (decocker only, no safety) used off of calguns.net private sales. I got it with 250 rounds, 2 mags and a locking case for 250 bucks. It's easy to disassemble and clean, fun to shoot, big gun for a 9mm which makes accuracy. The trigger pull takes some getting used to, but its awesome when u get used to it. It's double action, and has taken every type of cheap ammo I could feed it, including reloads. The sights are more than adequate, although I put a green front sight on mine. The newer ones come with an accessory rail. I use mine to protect my house and my mustang, and I always practice with it so I'm good with it. Ruger makes some of my favorite guns and I like that prices aren't through the roof on everything. It is a hammer firing pistol, but if u want a striker fire the ruger sr9 is awesome and I personally like them just as much as glock 17s, and are way less expensive than glocks. Regardless of what u get enjoy it. Everyone has their own feel to a particular gun

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
[worship]

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
04cobra408
¯
Member # 4025

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04cobra408  Ford pictures for 04cobra408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
springfield xd 45 5 inch ! [worship]
or they have some sick! 1911's for like 7, 800

--------------------
Willie Guzman
RIP lil brother
11-23-12

Juan Moya
"The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05

Posts: 1945 | From: san jose ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

I love my sig, put a lot of rounds through it and have never had an issue.

[ November 30, 2011, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Camara90 ]

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
40 cal with a 30rd dick ftw.brand wise couldnt tell u which one!

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Nifty50:
quote:
Originally posted by gray03gt:
A Ruger MK3 is the quintessential gun to learn on and enjoy for many years. 10rd semi-auto all metal .22lr that's very accurate. Many long time gun guys still shoot the MK3's or other .22lr quite a bit. 500rds is about $20 and it will kill someone if needed.

Next is either a 9mm or .38spl. Both of these are fairly cheap to shoot and pack enough punch to defend yourself with. For simple,accurate,reliable, $500 will get you a nice new glock or cz75. Both are accurate, good to take to the range, and can defend you.

I personally like to shoot revolvers as they are very accurate and have great triggers. A fullsize N frame with 4-6" barrel will be far more accurate than the auto's. You can switch between .357 mag and .38spl in any .357 revolver. That way you can shoot .38 at the range and save money and then load .357mag for home defense. These revolvers will shoot out to 100+ yards on a man size target all day long. .357 magnum is about twice as powerful as .45acp

The most accurate, best handling "cheap" guns would be the glock 34, Cz75b, or CZ shadow. If your set on an auto 9, don't get anything less than a 5 inch barrel. It will be far more accurate and much nicer to shoot.

Dude ... comparing a .357 to a 45acp is like comparing apples and oranges. The 45 has tremendous stopping power while a .357 has extreme penetration power . And for home defense a .357 magnum is not ideal in the least bit . Have you ever fired a weapon in a house hold ? I have , at an intruder . And it was only a .22 lr and that itty bitty round went through my living room and into my garage (penetrated one wall) and stopped in a freezer . So if a 22 lr can do that you could imagine how many walls .357 mag would go through.
lmfao i was drunk cleaning my 45 and i loaded it fucking around and i went to click the hammer down and it slipped and the gun fired and i have noidea where the round went other than threw my and to somewhere eles? lol i think that was one of the many stupidest things i have done in my life [Frown]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobra clone nprogrss:

what the fuck do you need 30rd for? if you cant hit your target in two shots mo fucka you shouldnt be shooting or having a gun period [patriot]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:
quote:

what the fuck do you need 30rd for? if you cant hit your target in two shots mo fucka you shouldnt be shooting or having a gun period [patriot]
like i said 30rd dicks mane. u might not hit the intended target the first few shots.maybe he is running from u with yo shit an u might have to damn near bust at his getaway car also.so one mo time 30rd dicks when i get my rallow!

--------------------

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

quote:
quote:
quote:

like i said 30rd dicks mane. u might not hit the intended target the first few shots.maybe he is running from u with yo shit an u might have to damn near bust at his getaway car also.so one mo time 30rd dicks when i get my rallow!
i have no idea wtf you just tryed to say or type? [Confused]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What a tard
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

i have no idea wtf you just tryed to say or type? [Confused]
nerds not ftw!

--------------------

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you ever pick anything up? Cause if not I will be having some weapons come up for sale. PM me if you have q's.

[ January 25, 2012, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If anyone is interested I have a a gen 3 glock 20 which is a 10mm stopping power and penetration. Looking for a glock 19. Want a 9mm for my wife. 10mm has a big grip.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com