Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Dirt Jumping MTN Bikes **UPDATE** (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dirt Jumping MTN Bikes **UPDATE**
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone on here dirt jump MTN Bikes? I used to jump BMX and jump my piece of crap MTN bike I have now but I need a DJ. New to this type of bike and would like alittle more info. I almost pulled the trigger on a bike tonight and figured I should research some more. Thanks!

[ September 30, 2011, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Blue92 ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I freeride on single track trails and jump the shit out of my santa cruz bullit, it has about 6-7" suspension travel front and rear.

-

shit's fun, buy a used bike and work on it yourself, you'll save a shitload of money. There's youtube videos for how-to's on tuning up and repairing anything. Shit breaks when you jump bikes, but I've had no problems replacing spokes, tru'ing the wheels, bleeding and adjusting the hydraulic brakes, replacing seals and oil in the shocks, adjusting the gear derailleurs, etc.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I Pieced together my old school (99) specialized p3. Has 4.5 in travel up front and I put a 9 speed rear cassette on it. On wish it had disc brake mounts. Otherwise this thing is a beast!!

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i migrated.I started off with a kona stuff thinking that would do the trick. really didnt like the geo. but I still kept it as my recreational bike. Then I picked up a black market mob at the time they were still made at the S&M factory down in santa anna ca. I tried it with two different sets of front forks both with roughly 3" of travel but I went rigid forks and this thing rides like a F'ing bmx bike! skate park or trails it is awesome and expensive.It used a lot of bmx parts got the headset,profile 3pc and kink sprocket, primo pedals. heres a pic and yes thats a PBR seat.

-

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Think you would be better off checking on ridemonkey.com. They have forums over there dedicated to DJing. I have a P2 that I rarely ride anymore. How much are you looking to spend?
Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ I have to say Jeffs bike rides better then anything I've rode in a long time. [patriot]
And the PBR seat is SICK!!!

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is the one I almost bought. Apparently now it is sold. http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/899981/
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
yeah i migrated.I started off with a kona stuff thinking that would do the trick. really didnt like the geo. but I still kept it as my recreational bike. Then I picked up a black market mob at the time they were still made at the S&M factory down in santa anna ca. I tried it with two different sets of front forks both with roughly 3" of travel but I went rigid forks and this thing rides like a F'ing bmx bike! skate park or trails it is awesome and expensive.It used a lot of bmx parts got the headset,profile 3pc and kink sprocket, primo pedals. heres a pic and yes thats a PBR seat.

-

Looks bad ass. I definitely want shock fork and hard tail though. If you don't mind me asking, is it expensive to build?
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
Think you would be better off checking on ridemonkey.com. They have forums over there dedicated to DJing. I have a P2 that I rarely ride anymore. How much are you looking to spend?

Thanks for the lead. I am going to check it out.
blkfoxbody89
5.O
Member # 8361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blkfoxbody89  Ford pictures for blkfoxbody89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got a pos specialized hardrock new for 450 a few years ago, took off two of the crank gears and been rocking it for about 4 years now with only minor problems here and there, my favorite local place to hit is the confluence under the forest hill bridge. A nice steep climb to a fun down hill run with some deadly drops to jagged rocks to keep the adrenaline goin.

--------------------
'89 gt
'90 gt

Posts: 976 | From: sacramento | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a hardtail Trek i trail ride. I get some good air with it.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
I have a hardtail Trek i trail ride. I get some good air with it.

For some reason I thought of this when I read your post. [Razz]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6Na4NH7J8&feature=related

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I'm about $2500 into this one but Sooo worth it.not sure where ur located but check out ride sfo. They also sponsor a bike EXPO at the cow palace with some sick find out at the stable area and have a dirt jumping comp. Look for ATS @ the coliseum for bids of the comp. Also DK is now making a complete DK bike for about $6-700.
quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
quote:

-

Looks bad ass. I definitely want shock fork and hard tail though. If you don't mind me asking, is it expensive to build?

HYFLOHDS
¯
Member # 4198

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYFLOHDS  Ford pictures for HYFLOHDS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

-

last week i put a hold on a black market malice, hoping to pick it up next month. where do you ride something like this?
Posts: 308 | From: san francisco | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

we got a couple of skate parks near by i'll go ride and some of the local kids have built a couple sets of dubs and i went over there about a month ago and helped/showed them how to pack the lip and groom it. I work a lot and have a few projects going on so i dont ride this nearly as much as I would like.hopefully in about 6 more months everything else I go going on will be sewed up and I'll be back to riding a lot more.
HYFLOHDS
¯
Member # 4198

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYFLOHDS  Ford pictures for HYFLOHDS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
let me know, maybe you can show me how to catch air with this thing.

--------------------
Hyperflow Motorsport
Flow testing & PortingService
Authorize Superflow SF-600 Test Garage.
friscospeed@gmail.com
415-756-5717 DM only

Posts: 308 | From: san francisco | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

for sure!! just a heads up for the o.p.if you shop around you can still build a complete for pretty cheap I bought a ton of top notch shit and all of it was new. the older riot frames are out there in great shape for a great deal. check craigslist,pink bike and ebay of course. my profiles have a titanium spindle and i ought the magnesium pedals and bought deity stem and bars. there are ways to cut a corner and still get the job done. I was just trying for a pretty light bike. mine is roughly high 24's-25lbs which for a bike with steel frame,fork alum bars and stem is pretty good. i know more weight can go if i go pivotal on the seat setup and buy better wheels but the azonic outlaws on their have held up and those wheels with the single speed kit and axle conversion in the back were about $350. so they are out there you could find a p-series bike ride it for a bit and if you dont like it but a different frame and swap over a good majority of the stuff.

videos to check out are "floatin" and "2six git sum" ride sfo .com has the 2nd title on clearence for $5.00

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

For those of you who already own or have owned a DJ, what do you think of this one? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2530023716.html
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5 years old, no front brake, single speed, fork doesn't have much travel...I think it's overpriced.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
5 years old, no front brake, single speed, fork doesn't have much travel...I think it's overpriced.

You are probably right. I think I want gears and front brake. Also, I didn't even pay attention to the fork travel. Thanks, Blind.
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

How about this one? http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/2537383576.html

Or this one?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/2534933446.html

[ August 09, 2011, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Blue92 ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

You are probably right. I think I want gears and front brake. Also, I didn't even pay attention to the fork travel. Thanks, Blind.
fwiw I can hardly ever use my rear brake on trails, it's 90% front brake to stop anyways, the back tire just lifts up and locks into a skid if you use it, doesn't slow you down for shit.

I like that orange one, the silver p3 looks beat up

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

This is EXACTLY what I want.
http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/DJ/1/
Too bad I am poor. [Frown]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/2535839901.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/2535369666.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2529971685.html

DK is having a sale on their 26" jumper:
http://shop.dkbicycles.com/2010-DK-Asterik-Cyan-Blue/dp/B004EK8LWQ

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/2537352137.html

hope this helps when / if i find more ill let you know

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Thanks for the links. Still looking.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com