Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Armed forces ???? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Armed forces ????
acmikee
¯
Member # 5568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for acmikee  Ford pictures for acmikee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your recuiter will lie to you

GET A GUARANTEED SCHOOL IN WRITING befor you sign anything

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my decision has been made. I'm. Joining the millitary and now all I have to do is pick a branch to join. Anyone care to give input on which branch is better than the other?
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have any interest in a particular field?

USAF 16+ years....The only way to go IMO!

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Costa510
¯
Member # 10978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Costa510  Ford pictures for Costa510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they dont lie you get school it goes to everyone unless you fuck up and get discharged for anything.

i joined army my old boss works as a recuritor in hayward he wont bull shit you and will tell you as it is. I too didnt have any money, job, or GED and alot of tickets. army helped me with all that i got paid good lived in hawaii and i now make $850 a week just doing online classes from the VA. i did do tour cus i joined as infantry and yea it was crazy but you have more of a chance dying here then there. and also pick a job where you can make good money on the out side and maybe one where you wont go out side the wire of a bass.

best thing i ve ever done, great change of pace then here, and you meet alot of cool new people. and they take care of you. and the benifits are great in the army your kid will be able to go to any college for free but only state ones nothing crazy. its a good move.

--------------------
-"I just wanna go fast"

Costa510
¯
Member # 10978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Costa510  Ford pictures for Costa510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you wanna join army see Staff sergeant Jay in hayward and if not army he can show you the other guys.

--------------------
-"I just wanna go fast"

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For what it is worth the USAF sure helped my quality of life.

It gave me the schooling and the real world experience in the field I am in.

That way when I ventured out into the civilian world with the same degree as the person that just got out of college, I had one up on them because I had been doin the job for 4 years and had the degree to back it up.

Just my .02 pennies.

If I had it to do over I would have stayed for 20. Id be retired in 3 years from now.......then I would have started a civilian job after that.

I dont make doctor or lawyer wages but I am working in this time of shit economy and I make nearly 6 figures with great benefits.

I know that is not a TON to brag about and I am not but on the other hand I could have continued down the path I was headed on having grown up in a trailer park............

[ June 07, 2011, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: turbo50 ]

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the Air Force, 6 years now. It's gone by quick so far, I'm sure it'll hit a wall here soon though. There's just not near as many people in the Air Force anymore, makes more work for everyone else. At least in my career field, we're hurting for people.
Make sure you pick a good job, it makes a huge difference.
Btw my recruiter didn't lie, I just didn't listen haha

If you're interested in the Marines also my brother is a recruiter in the Sacramento area and he can hook you up. Just pm me

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
18 yrs in August, active duty Air Force. Been all over the world, wouldn't trade that for anything. My degrees and certs are paid for, decent life for my son and I, and I retire before I'm 38. Rough life. [patriot]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ROK5.0:
So times are getting hard around here and I've been out of work for almost 6 months and I'm thinking about signing up to one of the U.S. forces. I would like to know if any of you, those who have signed up or are thinking of signing up, could share some of your real life experiences with me. What are the pros and cons? Thanx

I joined the Air Force straight out of Highschool and served for 8 years. It was by far the best decision I've ever made in my life because it really affected my life in a positive manner. Pros: Quality of life (have yet to have met anyone from any of the other Military branches to tell me their quality of life is better than the AF), and Job Security. Cons: Deployments (depending on your job, you could be away from your family for 6 months to 1 year), and Salary pay (if you aren't an admin person or someone who doesn't get dirty, be prepared to work 12+ hr shifts as well as weekend duty without being paid overtime). One thing I will also say that I experienced in the Air Force is the fact that they're big on education. Every single supervisor I ever had (with the exception of one) always encouraged going to school. Not only will it help you make rank, but it also sets you up for civilian life, should you choose to seperate once you've fulfilled your enlistment. Checkout http://usmilitary.about.com/ for unbiased info about the Military.

Instead of joining the military, you could always apply for federal jobs you may be qualified for. Some jobs may have minimal qualifications but offer some sort of on job training. Checkout www.usajobs.gov

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow alot air force
It depends what u want outta of it in the long run education airforce or navy for sure wanna be busy always working hard and be the best respected branch marines no matter where u go u c. Tell a marine from any other branch marines changed me alot from physical to mental discipline it's all up to u Ur doing the right things

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I've narrowed it down to 2 choices. I wanna get involved in law(possibly a lawyer) or the medical field(something other than nurse). Anyone have any insight on these career fields in the millitary or know anyone I can talk to. I've already talk to a marine recruite can anyone suggest a good recruiter from the other branches close to the oakland area?
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mexican armed forces,,,,,,09 bullet proof escalade ext with a 50 cal mounted on back

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Well I've narrowed it down to 2 choices. I wanna get involved in law(possibly a lawyer) or the medical field(something other than nurse). Anyone have any insight on these career fields in the millitary or know anyone I can talk to. I've already talk to a marine recruite can anyone suggest a good recruiter from the other branches close to the oakland area?

You can find a set of recruiters from all branches just across the street from Bay Fair. As far as them being good, it's been 8 years since I've been back so I'm not sure about who is there now. As far as the career fields you're looking into, those are both some really good choices. Personally I'd stick with medical particularly due to the fact it is a much safer (in terms of job security)in the civilian world. If you don't like the job, you could always crosstrain into another career field. Another added bonus to being in the medical field is the fact that the guy to girl ratio is significantly better than other fields such as maintenance, logitstics, etc.

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did 4 years as a combat engineer active duty army.

you WILL get deployed
you WILL spend as much time AWAY from your family as you do with them
they CAN and WILL treat you however THEY want.
mass punishment is a BITCH

base pay is decent, if your married you will get rent allowence and food allowance.

basic is 3 months your job training varys on what job you get.

you can also pm me with any questions, its not for everyone but sometimes you gotta do wt u gotta do

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

first thing before any of that see if you can get in as a warrent officer or a officer. thats were the money is at. then decide on a job
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got no real advice on which branch of service will be best for you. Are you trying to do something technical or be the super killer warrior? just talk to a recruiter from every branch and see where you fit in.

Don't believe what ANY recruiter says no matter how cool they are with you, make sure what YOU want is in writing and on your contract prior to swearing in. Its your life make sure its what YOU want.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Can anyone suggest things that I should have in my contract before I sign it? Also are there any things I should ask for to be put in my contract maybe perks?
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Can anyone suggest things that I should have in my contract before I sign it? Also are there any things I should ask for to be put in my contract maybe perks?

Off the top of my head just the basic shit like any signing bonuses for your rate (job), guaranteed A school, rank out of basic training (E2/E3)

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So how do I go about getting an A school and a E2/3 rank out of basic training? I mean I know to jus ask but how do I qualify for that stuff?
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
quote:

Off the top of my head just the basic shit like any signing bonuses for your rate (job), guaranteed A school, rank out of basic training (E2/E3)
+1

- The job you will have upon graduation from Basic military training
- Rank you will have upon graduation from Basic military training or technical training (if applicable)
- Signing bonus: how much you'll be getting, and date of when you'll be getting it (if applicable)
- The amount of years you agree to be enlisted for (i.e. 4 or 6 years)

--------------------

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

quote:
So how do I go about getting an A school and a E2/3 rank out of basic training? I mean I know to jus ask but how do I qualify for that stuff?

As far as rank goes, you could get E2/3 for signing up for 6 years (depends on the job) or having completed a certain amount of college credit hours (I don't know the exact amount). As far as "school" goes, do you mean technical school for your military job? If so then that all depends on what your job is, each job has a certain base/post. Some may require you to travel to several bases/posts as opposed to others where you'll do all your schooling at one base/post. Speak with a recruiter to see what job(s) you quailify for, if none of them interest you then do not feel obligated to join. If they can't guarantee you (on paper) the job you want then forget it. Also, don't sign up as an Admin general, Maintenance general, because you could often be stuck with slim pickens when it's time to verify the job you'll have (which happens when you're in basic training [at least in the Air Force]).

--------------------

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Anyone remember there asvab scores and what jobs they qualified for?
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

quote:

Checkout the link below, scroll down to where it says "Enlisted Jobs." Select the branch of service and you'll be taken to another page that lists jobs in the service you selected. Click on the job title and you'll get all the information you need about the job including ASVAB scores.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/u/joining_up.htm#s3

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com