Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Armed forces ???? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Armed forces ????
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So times are getting hard around here and I've been out of work for almost 6 months and I'm thinking about signing up to one of the U.S. forces. I would like to know if any of you, those who have signed up or are thinking of signing up, could share some of your real life experiences with me. What are the pros and cons? Thanx
Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pro- You will live
Con- You will die

--------------------
To be or not to be

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best thing I did in life next to marrying my wife and having my son.

Dan

USAF

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ROK5.0  Ford pictures for ROK5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a son and he'll be 3 this year and the only real concern is how much time I'll have to be away from him. Anyone know how long that could be?
kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Join the Coast Guard..
Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Y the coast gaurd?
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off I have never served, but from friends and families I have noticed the military life isn't for everyone. Some people love it others hate it. Keep in mind if you are deployed you will be gone for up to 6 months. My friends girl left with his kid she got fed up when he was shipped overseas back to back...

You have to love/like what you do for a living to be happy and successful.why not attend some college/trade school? There is work out here,companies are. Just being picky

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Me and my baby mother not together and I already have a degree from UTI plus certs from their Ford Fact program that's proving to be worthless. In short I feel like I'm loosing my mind jus staying at home all the time
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It really depends on what you want to do. I joined the Marine Corps Reserve in 2000 to have some change of pace in my life and shoot weapons while I went to college. Ended up getting activated during the war in 2003 and spent a year on active duty and got to travel to Iraq for some fun [Big Grin] . I've been to many states for training as well. I also decided of making it my career half way through college and did OCS (officer candidate school) in Quantico, VA. Changed my mind when I was done as the job market was looking a lot better then. If deploying to foreign wars and spending time at sea is your thing, then the Marine Corps is you choice. Just my .02 cents. [patriot]

[ May 27, 2011, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: SEMPERFI510 ]

Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't take this he wrong way bro but to be hones. Nowadays a degree from some type of accreditted University is required... Heald, Devry, etc.. all me jack squate...

I'm tired of school, but to be honest I'm just going to stay until I obtain my Master of Science.. No rush to finish

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
ls1 miguel
¯
Member # 10053

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ls1 miguel  Ford pictures for ls1 miguel    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i depped into the marines in january i'll be leaving in september. im pretty excited and i hope i made the right choice.

i have a couple family members and they both love it

if you want to talk to a USMC recruiter let me know i'll give you his phone number

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ls1 miguel:
i depped into the marines in january i'll be leaving in september. im pretty excited and i hope i made the right choice.

if you want to talk to a USMC recruiter let me know i'll give you his phone number

Good luck man. Bootcamp is a three month vacation [Wink] [Razz]
Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
usmc
yea its a 3 month vacation but after all that is over with it gets better im in missouri at an army post we got all the branches here and the most respected is us marines i say if ur gonna join join the best im not saying the rest of the branches are worthess but we do train harder but we also party harder talk to a recruiter any branch is good depends what you are looking to get out of it

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
KINGROY
¯
Member # 7736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KINGROY  Ford pictures for KINGROY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go in, go in with a full commitment, and go in with a plan.

1) 4 years and out, then school?
2) 4 years, get some job experience then get out?
3) possible career?

If possible career, then it doesn't matter what your job will be in the military because that will be your career. But if plan to get out, then choose a job in the military that will transfer easy into civilian life.

I enlisted in the navy and was attached to the marine corps for 3.5 years. Best decision of my life.

Lastly, make army the last option. They provide the largest enlistment bonus, but they also provide the longest deployments of at least a year and up to a year and a half. Navy and marine corps will deploy you for 6 months. All branches of service pay the same with the same benefits, so don't believe a recruiter if he tells you otherwise.

This will be the best decision for your family, you can sign up for the Montgomery g.I. bill and you can go to college or transfer over to your wife or kids. Also there's the 9/11 g.I. bill which is free and use or transfer as well.

You can't lose by joining, it'll take some sacrifice, but sacrifices are needed to better ourselves. Hope this helps and good luck.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Vert
2005 Prius

Posts: 1642 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  :
ls1 miguel
¯
Member # 10053

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ls1 miguel  Ford pictures for ls1 miguel    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SEMPERFI510:
quote:
Originally posted by ls1 miguel:

Good luck man. Bootcamp is a three month vacation [Wink] [Razz]
thanks man
2Foxes2Five0Coupes
¯
Member # 9154

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Foxes2Five0Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Foxes2Five0Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would get free training through one of unemployment's programs and get a commercial driver's license. There's always driving jobs available that pay just as good or better than your last job. Assuming you already have a decent driving record. The military has a lot of benefits in the long run though for u and your kid.
ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

I would like to thank everyone for their info it really helped but any more info would be greatly appreciate thanx 2 all
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2Foxes2Five0Coupes:
I would get free training through one of unemployment's programs and get a commercial driver's license. There's always driving jobs available that pay just as good or better than your last job. Assuming you already have a decent driving record. The military has a lot of benefits in the long run though for u and your kid.

Its funny how some dudes at work can barely speak english and are making 90-100k a year... waste management ftmfw

Get a commercial license and apply at waste management all the ot you can work/full benefits/pension

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
6 years Army, Airborne Infantry - PM me with any questions you might have.
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phonso302:
quote:

Its funny how some dudes at work can barely speak english and are making 90-100k a year... waste management ftmfw

Get a commercial license and apply at waste management all the ot you can work/full benefits/pension

lol....You work for waste management ? My dads friend does the oakland hills route, barley can speak english, he used to work at a pizza uno and rented a room at my fathers house. Now he has 2 houses making over 80k. He wants me to get in but i haunt got my commercial L's yet. I just need to stop going out and get the funds for the school program. I been wanting to get in so bad with that company. I love being a driver (fedex driver) but want to make more.

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

2Foxes2Five0Coupes
¯
Member # 9154

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Foxes2Five0Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Foxes2Five0Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

+1 Lol @Barely can speak english. I have to turn off the commercial radio channel cause dudes wont't speak english on it. I'm like shut that sh*t up. WM FTW when it comes to feeding your family and having a few toys at the same time. You got options out here Rok (civilian life) I say let the military be your last option.

[ May 28, 2011, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: 2Foxes2Five0Coupes ]

ROK5.0
¯
Member # 8589

Not tryna put anybody down and plz believe me I do know that a job is a job but I really think I can do better than driving around garbage all day plus my driving record ain't in the best condition anyway but I do appreciate the advice
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, it is Memorial Day weekend - so thanks to all of you who served! [patriot]

Secondly, I never signed up but I talked to a few different recruiters and was really interested in it. Fortunately I landed jobs so I kind of lost the drive to sign up. But I'm surprised to see Kingroy's advice about all branches paying the same. I was told by more than one recruiter that the Marines had to pay for some of their own stuff, that they got paid less, etc as compared to someone in the Air Force or the Army.

To the OP, how about schooling? Lots of people went back to school to get some sort of degree since they lost their jobs. I was suggested by many to join up as an officer since I have my degree now. Just wanted to throw something else out there. Good luck.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coast Guard is not hiring, No Money.

and don't believe anything a recruiter tells you, don't trust they will file the correct paperwork for you from the job you want, and don't expect to get the job you want either.

[ May 29, 2011, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: WildFire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

quote:
quote:
quote:

+1 Lol @Barely can speak english. I have to turn off the commercial radio channel cause dudes wont't speak english on it. I'm like shut that sh*t up. WM FTW when it comes to feeding your family and having a few toys at the same time. You got options out here Rok (civilian life) I say let the military be your last option.
I'm so happy I made the switch only regret is I didn't do it earlier....

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com