Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone in here rides? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anyone in here rides?
92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92sleeperGT  Ford pictures for 92sleeperGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I been looking for a commuter car as a daily driver...
But I also been looking towards getting a street bike(like a 600 cbr or gxsr)I never been on a bike before but they seem like so much fun to ride as a daily driver with bad ass mpg!
Plus its a "pussy magnet" lol
I will first need to take a riding course and get my license to be legit.
What do you guys think?
Are bike really all that dangerous or should I go for it?
I'm about to turn 22 yrs old and I feel like i'm mature enough to get one and avoid doing all these stupid stunts that get all this ppl seriously hurt or killed.
What are your'e guys thoughs on this?

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

Posts: 718 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes they're dangerous but if you're mature enough and don't ride over your head you should be ok. It's not just rider error, it's also these other clowns on the road that you have to be really careful for when riding.

Go and get your training done at the MSF classes and see if you like it. After your done, go get your license then start looking. I was told to go smaller when I first bought my first bike. I went with a 748 Ducati and was fine. I had no desire for wheelies or endos or any type of stunts. I just cruised and enjoyed the backroads. I rode for 7+ years with no accidents, until this year. I came out fine but my bike didn't. It did put me back in check, not that I wasn't already. But just made me more aware that it can happpen where you least expect it.

[ February 06, 2011, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check out insurance rates...some of the full coverage rates are crazy! i have liability 96/year

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As already stated, it's more often the car that doesn't see you.

My dad was killed 3 years ago by a drunk driver that made an illegal left turn into him. I kept my bike after his accident, but only took it out about three times in the following year. At that point I sold it.

They're a lot of fun, but you can't control the other people on the road...

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had mine and ill tell you, there fun as hell. I really want to pick up another one but I have to wait till I actually get my licences to ride bikes.

Lmk if u get one ... ill hurry and grab one 2

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1968 mustang 289 - 4 speed
1989 white lx (totalled)

exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, riding a bike is fun and great! I would def. say get one....HOWEVER I would NOT advise you to ride it as a daily driver. I personally get tired of riding if I go 3 to 4 days straight, but that's just my experience.

Oh, and like above said already....yes, they are dangerous but you will only go as fast/hard as you feel comfortable. That course will help you a lot. Good luck.

[ February 06, 2011, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Topete ]

Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slow05GT  Ford pictures for Slow05GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ride everysingle day!!! It is so much fun, my bike just went 9.9 at 141 on Saturday an a daily ride it. Just gotta be careful look around. There's alot of tricks to riding but just take the CHP classan you will learn a whole lot!
Posts: 2233 | From: Natomas, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's your commute like? Do you take the freeway? If you have to go more than 10 miles on the freeway, I'd say you probably wouldn't want to daily drive it until you got at least a years worth of riding under your belt. When I was commuting on a bike from Tracy to San Ramon, I would almost get hit (like within inches of getting smashed) at least twice a day (no BS). With zero riding experience you're not going to know how to react to those situations and will most likely end up on the ground. Every single close call I've ever had has happened on the freeway during commute hours because some asshat wasn't looking where they were going.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Riding is a blast, but a pain in the ass too. In order to do it safe it takes proper gear and paying close attention to the details on the road. If I ride on the freeway I always stay in the fast lane or the lane next to the fast lane. The fast lane is the safest but if your not doing 80 your getting pushed, and if you are doing 80 you are a target for the CHP. Ride next to the lines you generally wont hit spilled fluids, car parts etc. I really like the lane next to the fast lane because riding on the far left seems to be the 2nd best spot. Dip shit drivers dont have to look over there shoulder to see you when merging from the fast lane, and have better visibility of you on the bike.

Couple things to think about when you commute on a bike.

- Always need to wear quality boots
- Leatehr jacket, and Moto jeans are minimum (full leather are the best)
- Will need to carry extra shoes, gel and work clothes depending on your job.
- You will smell like exhaust
- On hot days you will get super sweaty when geared up

Sorry it long, but you need to know what you are getting into.

Here is a few pics of me from the track, thats where the fun is really at! [Big Grin]

-

-

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slow05GT  Ford pictures for Slow05GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've only been riding for about 5-6 months, started on a harley, then a R1 now a ZX10R.... Never had so much fun i'n my life, I wish my commute to work was longer! Only mods are slip on exhaust. 9.9 141mph an more to go!!

-

[ February 07, 2011, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: 98z28 ]

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats it sixty with the bar?

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
Whats it sixty with the bar?

First day ever at the track, street tire, stock motor, stock gears.

1st run 11.0 at 136 2.2 60 foot
2nd run 10.5 at 134 2.0 60 foot
3rd run 10.3 at 140 1.9 60 foot
Last run 9.9 at 141 1.6 60 foot

[ February 07, 2011, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: 98z28 ]

92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92sleeperGT  Ford pictures for 92sleeperGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dam Guys thanks for all your opinions and help [patriot]
You guys have said enough to get me on the right track.If i get one in the near future i will surly be careful and know what strategy to look for.
I know its a risk to be ridding everyday and all the danger that surrounds a bike but life comes at you fast,any day can be your last day due to accidents or natural cause and you only live once...so live life to the fullest and have all the fun you possibly can right?

Aaron you will be one of the first to know when i get on a bike. So start saving up for yours bro.

(CAMARA90) thanks for those bad ass pics
By the looks of it you look like a very well experience rider so i will gladly take you advise and suggestions thanks... [Cool]

[ February 07, 2011, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: 92sleeperGT ]

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and remember lane sharing (splitting) is legal...and when you split lanes to the front of traffic, you will get honked at because they think its illegal...but mostly they think its not fair...i love doin it

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't like the middle lanes or on regular streets the right most lane. Regular streets you have to be careful of people pulling out of drive ways, streets. And middle lanes if there is something in road like a mattress (happened to me) and cars next to you where you going to go? I moved to the right barely missing it then I look and I'm inches from the car to the right of me. Even when I'm in fast lane I ride the outside in case the person next me trys to avoid something. Happened right in front of me. Car took the person out.
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92sleeperGT:
I been looking for a commuter car as a daily driver...

Plus its a "pussy magnet" lol

Yes

What do you guys think?

Badass

Are bike really all that dangerous or should I go for it?

Dangerous

I'm about to turn 22 yrs old and I feel like i'm mature enough to get one and avoid doing all these stupid stunts that get all this ppl seriously hurt or killed.

Your never going to be mature enough to keep your front wheel on the ground or to hit 160mph on your morning commute.

Be real about it, your going to go fucking nuts on a bike. If you think your POS 13 sec car is fast, you'll never think that any car is fast ever again unless its a 9 sec car. You're probably going to find a bike to buy, buy it, ride it without your license for a couple months until they catch you. Then you'll go get your permit. Hopefully you dont kill yourself during that time. Take some classes, learn how to pop wheelies and either die or be bad ass!

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:
and remember lane sharing (splitting) is legal...and when you split lanes to the front of traffic, you will get honked at because they think its illegal...but mostly they think its not fair...i love doin it

Lane sharing is totally badass when you do a wheelie while doing it. You have a captive audience. Oh and when your at stop lights its cool as fuck to kick up your stand, lean all the way back on your bike and kick your feet up while waiting for the green light. Totally BA!

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

quote:
Originally posted by 94droptopGT:
quote:
Originally posted by fredfifty:

Lane sharing is totally badass when you do a wheelie while doing it. You have a captive audience. Oh and when your at stop lights its cool as fuck to kick up your stand, lean all the way back on your bike and kick your feet up while waiting for the green light. Totally BA!
hahha i would LMAO if i seen someone lean back on their bike in traffic with the stand up...thats the corniest move, and very biker boyish...if someone does that, its a sign they cant ride a bike, but can pose like a mufffuga...

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
62 Rag Impala

92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

quote:
quote:

Be real about it, your going to go fucking nuts on a bike. If you think your POS 13 sec car is fast, you'll never think that any car is fast ever again unless its a 9 sec car. You're probably going to find a bike to buy, buy it, ride it without your license for a couple months until they catch you. Then you'll go get your permit. Hopefully you dont kill yourself during that time. Take some classes, learn how to pop wheelies and either die or be bad ass!
If you don't have useful info
Don't post up [BS flag]
Thanks

[ February 07, 2011, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: 92sleeperGT ]

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

quote:
Originally posted by 92sleeperGT:
quote:
quote:

If you don't have useful info
Don't post up [BS flag]
Thanks

Agree
1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well bikes are good on the gas as a daily driver i agree, bitchz love them as well lol.. you can always be a safe biker no matter what but its always people around you that are dumbasses haha.. thumbs up on ggettting a bike..

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

Heres some vids my first day out

My first run 11.0 taking it easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPn14h_iws&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Me running 10.3 you can tell a big difference on how I rode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf0cjhtc49g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jason running 9.9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGaMlDacuk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[ February 08, 2011, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: 98z28 ]

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say do it. Save up some cash and buy one on craigslist or barf. Always good deals when you have cash. Be warned, everyone goes down sooner or later.
92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

quote:
Originally posted by 98z28:
Heres some vids my first day out

My first run 11.0 taking it easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiPn14h_iws&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Me running 10.3 you can tell a big difference on how I rode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf0cjhtc49g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jason running 9.9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGaMlDacuk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks for the video post
It would be a full year after riding for me to check my time.it must be an amazing feeling going hella fast though lol

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get one if you like dont make it your dd..
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com