Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Driving in snow, chains vs cables

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Driving in snow, chains vs cables
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never had to use either but will be driving to Oregon Wednesday night and I'm told I may need them. Are cables JUST AS GOOD, I hear they're a lot easier to deal with etc.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

uncle bill
¯
Member # 3953

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uncle bill  Ford pictures for uncle bill  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they are lighter and easier to store but they come apart alot easier. keep your fingers crossed that you dont have to use either
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never used chains, only cables. Depending on the car, chains may not even fit. If you get the cables, make sure you buy the rubber tension ring too. They're sold separately. Also, make sure you buy them here and try them on the car BEFORE you leave for Oregon. That way, if they don't fit, you can return them. It also gives you some practice putting them on. Trust me, learning to put on cables when it's 10° out and snowing is not how you want to learn.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the input Wilit, going on my Durango

--------------------

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they fit chains are teh way to go. I haed cables rbaek on me and destroy the side of my car as teh one cable just kept on slapping the quarter panel as I drove the rest of the way in the snow to tahoe.
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Les Scwab has easy to install light duty chains. They also allow returns if you do not end up using them.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Les Scwab has easy to install light duty chains. They also allow returns if you do not end up using them.

Just called my local Les Schwab and read your comment, they noted they're $99 and it's true but I'd have to wait until April 1st to return, not a big deal.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP!

--------------------

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spikes Spiders are the bomb. Not as easily stored as your 2 other options, but much better performance. My parents have used these for 13 years, and ive used them myself.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by bottled95GT??:
Spikes Spiders are the bomb. Not as easily stored as your 2 other options, but much better performance. My parents have used these for 13 years, and ive used them myself.

$550 BUCKS..... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol you could pick up a used set of snow tires and rims for that price

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been living up here in the Snow level for 5 years and i haven't ever had to use chains. Your Durango should do fine in the snow. I drove my Explorer down 80 with a foot and a half of snow on the ground and big rigs on their sides every 10 miles. I had no problems. I just drove my F350 in the snow for the first time this last weekend, it didn't even spin the tires. Did awesome.

If you decide to get something anyways go with chains since you have a truck and not a car.

[ November 23, 2010, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: WildFire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i drove my crown vic in over a foot of snow with no problem, it had just the radials that the police cars use and shitty tires on front. just try to avoid driving at night.

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 24, 2010, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Well, it works out I'm taking my boss's 4x4 Diesel Excursion loaded with 5k in alcohol just purchased from Costco tonight! Should be fun... [Roll Eyes]
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:

Hey dont roll your eyes at me young man! lol They may be expensive BUT they are f**kin safe and they work better than any chain id ever used. And for the record, yes expensive, but is there such a thing as too much $$$ for safety?

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 24, 2010, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
quote:
quote:

Hey dont roll your eyes at me young man! lol They may be expensive BUT they are f**kin safe and they work better than any chain id ever used. And for the record, yes expensive, but is there such a thing as too much $$$ for safety?
[Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Well, it works out I'm taking my boss's 4x4 Diesel Excursion loaded with 5k in alcohol just purchased from Costco tonight! Should be fun... [Roll Eyes]

Damn 5k? Must be a huge party.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com